Honda Wave And Honda Dream

The Gentleman Scamp

Every day on the roads of Phuket I have a close shave, despite being alert, indicating at every and any oppertunity and keeping between 40 & 60 KMH.

I can't see how anyone who uses these runarounds on a daily basis will still be alive or unscathed a year from now and I dread the day it happens.

I taught myself to drive in Samui, three years ago and have yet to come off a bike, though in all fairness I've spent most of my Thai time in Bangkok where I wouldn't (Honda) dream of driving a car, let alone a bike.

Twice I've had rear tyres go on me which is very frightening, and the scariest of all, yet most funny to anyone watching, was the outcome of putting a folded map in the basket at the front of the bike, which the wind caught when I was half way through overtaking a cement truck.

My first day in Phuket I hit a brick and almost came off but miraculously stayed on like a skilled rodeo rider.

I'm always on the lookout for sand, potholes, opening doors, approaching veichles, oncoming veichles - the Thai's can't be trusted to look in their mirrors or indicate - what else, water, oil, bumps, insects - they can really hurt, a dragonfly doing 50 when you hit it doing 70 could puncture an eyeball - dogs, there's a killer - dogs - you have to be on the lookout for them constantly, wind also, and on top of all that you never know when you're tyre will go, you can only hope it won't be the front one.

I like my Honda Wave and I like the freedom but I feel that now matter how careful I am, I feel I am straddling my nemesis and that the price of living in Paradise is the ultimate one. :D:o

Can anybody add anything to make me feel a little better?

Every day on the roads of Phuket I have a close shave, despite being alert, indicating at every and any oppertunity and keeping between 40 & 60 KMH.

I can't see how anyone who uses these runarounds on a daily basis will still be alive or unscathed a year from now and I dread the day it happens.

I taught myself to drive in Samui, three years ago and have yet to come off a bike, though in all fairness I've spent most of my Thai time in Bangkok where I wouldn't (Honda) dream of driving a car, let alone a bike.

Twice I've had rear tyres go on me which is very frightening, and the scariest of all, yet most funny to anyone watching, was the outcome of putting a folded map in the basket at the front of the bike, which the wind caught when I was half way through overtaking a cement truck.

My first day in Phuket I hit a brick and almost came off but miraculously stayed on like a skilled rodeo rider.

I'm always on the lookout for sand, potholes, opening doors, approaching veichles, oncoming veichles - the Thai's can't be trusted to look in their mirrors or indicate - what else, water, oil, bumps, insects - they can really hurt, a dragonfly doing 50 when you hit it doing 70 could puncture an eyeball - dogs, there's a killer - dogs - you have to be on the lookout for them constantly, wind also, and on top of all that you never know when you're tyre will go, you can only hope it won't be the front one.

I like my Honda Wave and I like the freedom but I feel that now matter how careful I am, I feel I am straddling my nemesis and that the price of living in Paradise is the ultimate one. :D:o

Can anybody add anything to make me feel a little better?

Hey Gent, all of these things you mention are not unusual at all for a biker, in fact if one named all of the dangerous stuff while riding a motorcycle it would take a very long post which would be a boring read, one must stay alert and expect the unexpected when riding, this is part and parcel of riding a motorcyle anywhere on the planet, Thailand is no different than anywhere in the west. Just a couple of last and very important tips, don't mess with alchohol when riding a motorcycle and wear a full face DOT-Snell approved helmet, skin will grow back(most of the time), bones will heal but the head is a different deal. :D Stay safe :D

Just a couple of last and very important tips, don't mess with alchohol when riding a motorcycle and wear a full face DOT-Snell approved helmet, skin will grow back(most of the time), bones will heal but the head is a different deal. Stay safe

All who ride a motor bike should heed this remark. From personnel experience when I was in my late teens I dislocated my hip and shattered the bone took my kneecap off lost two teeth both eyebrows scared broken nose and the only thing that saved me was the helmet and it still split down the middle.

When the ambulance driver was putting me on the stretcher my dislocated leg fell off and that is the last I remember for 4 days. Operation left scare 14 inches long.

When my son told me he wanted a motorbike I said no over and over again and told him when he was 18 I would buy him a car I did and put him under my insurance it gave me enormous peace of mind to do so.

That accident happened when a car did a U-turn from the side of the road I could not avoid it

“.MORAL OF THE STORY TWO WHEELS ONLY.”

I still love bikes but have and always have a respect for my own safety and others

Keep riding those no guts bikes and when you get into sh1ts, you will, and then you can slide out of trouble. I ride a 150 around the house but wouldn't ride further than into my little town on anything less than a 600cc. Anything smaller than that and you don't have enough power to get out of your own sh1t never mind the stuff you're going to run across from the people that don't know how to drive and never mind the truckies that want to just run over you.

Been driving around daily on motorbikes for over 10 years now, from your Suzuki Crystal (pretty fast two stroke!) to your honda dream and the occasional rental 600cc Honda Steed for bigger trips.

Had only 1 serious accident (serious for my body, the bike only required 650 Baht of repairs :o ) and which didn't even involved another vehicle, I just drove into a big drainage hole whose cover misteriously had disapeared...

Keep your wits, always expect the unexpected and as said before stay away from the booze...

It still is a fun experience for me driving around Thailand, but it'll never be a relaxing drive

:D

I always used to get a 400,or 900 in Thailand,It's definitely the missing man hole covers or the other holes in the roads,even the rain drains can be awkward,

Wear a proper helmut at all times,and have your lights on,

My scariest moment was in Pattaya on a 900 blade,came haring up a flyover in Pattaya which leads to the far end where the boats are bloody road covered in sand,luckily for me i had about 100 yds to slow down :o

...I can't see how anyone who uses these runarounds on a daily basis will still be alive or unscathed ...

Have a look at the inside of Thai girls' legs - about 8 inches up from the ankle. See how many have oval shaped burn marks! All caused by hot exhaust pipes. :o

... this is part and parcel of riding a motorcyle anywhere on the planet, Thailand is no different than anywhere in the west....

:o In England, I don't see many bikes being driven on the wrong side of the road because the rider is too f***ing lazy to cross the road. Or with no lights on after dark. Or with 5 people on board. Or coming at you at any angle. Or with no helmet on the driver and passenger. Etc, etc.

... this is part and parcel of riding a motorcyle anywhere on the planet, Thailand is no different than anywhere in the west....

:o In England, I don't see many bikes being driven on the wrong side of the road because the rider is too f***ing lazy to cross the road. Or with no lights on after dark. Or with 5 people on board. Or coming at you at any angle. Or with no helmet on the driver and passenger. Etc, etc.

Point taken RDN,

A few years back I worked with a Thai Engineer(who's father I think was Mike Tyson), one day the two of us were walking out of a restaurant and a motorcycle nearly ran us down on the sidewalk, he quickly grabbed the back of the motorcyle, brought it to a stop and confronted his countryman, as best I can remember the bike rider told him never mind and that he was only using the sidewalk for about fifty meters :D , So,there it is the attitude one finds about these kinds of things here in LOS. KhunAmorn (iron Mike) let the biker go and Mr. Amorn never said two words to me about that incident and I didn't ask but he should have beat the living sh1t out of the guy and burned his motorcycle.. :D

Point taken RDN,

A few years back I worked with a Thai Engineer(who's father I think was Mike Tyson), one day the two of us were walking out of a restaurant and a motorcycle nearly ran us down on the sidewalk, he quickly grabbed the back of the motorcyle, brought it to a stop and confronted his countryman, as best I can remember the bike rider told him never mind and that he was only using the sidewalk for about fifty meters :D , So,there it is the attitude one finds about these kinds of things here in LOS. KhunAmorn (iron Mike) let the biker go and Mr. Amorn never said two words to me about that incident and I didn't ask but he should have beat the living sh1t out of the guy and burned his motorcycle.. :D

Yes - I'd forgotten that one. When I lived in bkk, walking back from Benjasiri Park (next to the Emporium, Sukhumvit soi 24?) to soi 10, I would often hear bikes coming up behind me because it was easier for them to ride on the pavement than the busy road. And once one of them does it, they all follow like innocent sheep: "He started it, not me!"

Little buggers :o

I agree with the no alcohol policy. During the last 10 years of daily riding in Thailand I've had hundreds of close calls whilst 100% sober. I sometimes wonder how many of them would have resulted in being accidents had I been drinking and my reaction times were slower. Stay off the booze or stay off the road.

As soon as I can afford one I'll get a proper full head helmet - silly as I will look.

Any idea how much they cost and where best to get one?

Seriously, Scampy, I think you can NOT afford NOT having one.

However silly you think you look.

And whatever the price...

Expect the unexpected

How can I expect the unexpected???

It wouldn't be unexpected if I was expecting it would it. :o

Seriously though, I've learned that one already.

As soon as I can afford one I'll get a proper full head helmet - silly as I will look.

about 650 bht from big c or lotus. (not good for high speed crashes)

Expect the unexpected

How can I expect the unexpected???

It wouldn't be unexpected if I was expecting it would it. :o

Seriously though, I've learned that one already.

about 650 bht from big c or lotus. (not good for high speed crashes)

I hired a motorbike once and was given one of those poxy plastic helmets... it was ill fitting and the strap didn't work, so whenever I went too fast it flew off the back of my head (much to the amusement of the people behind) and whenever I braked it slipped down over my eyes... (highly amusing - not) :D

So when I finally gave up on it and stuck it in the basket (on my way back to hotel), Mr friendly policeman saw his opportunity and relieved me of bt300... :D

totster :D

crashed my first honda dream into my gf's within the first 5 minutes of riding down chaweng beach road ! luckily the hire company only noticed the smashed indicator on her bike and not the big crack at the front of mine. maybe it was already there because i just jumped on the ###### thing without checking it out. oh and the broken rear light cost just 200 baht to fix :o

so i advanced to a brand spanking new honda wave 125 with electric starter. i loved that bike so i hired it for 3 weeks and managed to stay out of harms way.

and thats not an easy thing to do on koh samui, statistics say the ring road is the most dangerous in thailand. BEWARE THE SOI DOGS...i had a few close shaves with them unpredictable nuisances.

also be wary of tourist who wear helmets they are the worst of all :D

Lost my right leg & shattered my hip in Samui. The policeman that took my statement told the thai gf that all he did all day every day was fill out accident reports. Bandon hospital used to fill up with motorbike crashes every weekend.

Paul.

Have a look at the inside of Thai girls' legs - about 8 inches up from the ankle. See how many have oval shaped burn marks! All caused by hot exhaust pipes. :o

One doesn't need to confine such glances to womens legs as just about everyone I know up north, including moi, has the exact same burn scar. Maybe some of the city slickers who never go off the pavement are spared. But in rural Thailand where slipping around on the slick wet red clay is the norm during half the year, such burns are endemic to the entire population. I just got a new scar on my right calf a few months ago, as well as a pullled hamstring from doing the splits in a rain squall as the bike went over going down a steep muddy path while I tried to stay upright. Needless to say, I can not do the splits, never could for that matter. I came limping into the house to the scorn of my wife and to the amusement of David U. (Chiang Mai's best known rider) who had come up for a visit.

And go for the Dream over the Wave, no comparison relative to the little step thru bikes.

Honda dream is probably one of the first popular 4 stroke motorbikes in Thailand. It's around for at least 13 years (and probably longer but that was when I drove the first one).

It originally had a 100 CC engine, and was marketed as the "econopower" engine.

Back then most popular bikes had two stroke engines which apart from being quite a bit faster were also noisier, dirtier(because of the smoke generated by the burning of the two stroke oil) and had a lot worse mileage compared to the 4 stroke engine!

Today it is marketed with either a 110cc or 125cc engine as are the Honda Waves (100,110 or 125cc)

Check out following site for an overview of the Honda bikes currently for sale, along with their suggested retail prices:

http://www.aseanmoto.com/Honda-eng.htm