Children Enjoy Sexual Assault Scenes On Tvs: Survey

george

Children enjoy sexual assault scenes on TVs: survey

BANGKOK: -- A recent survey has revealed shocking findings: many children enjoy watching scenes of rapes on TV and they come to see sexual assaults as something common.

"Some children even say they want to be like leading male characters in TV series so that they can rape a woman," Dr Noppadon Kannika said Tuesday as the head of the Assumption University's research centre, "This is worrying".

Conducted from April 24 to April 27, the survey covered 2,159 respondents in Bangkok and major cities. The respondent age starts from two years old up.

According to the survey, raping scenes are the favourite among 21.1 per cent of children aged between 13 and 19 years old, 10.3 per cent of children aged between two and six years old and 6.4 per cent of those aged from seven to 12 years old.

-- The Nation 2008-04-29

Not familiar with the Thai language, but if the survey was done in English with English kids they would probably say something similar, citing Eminem, Dr Dre and Snoop as the stars of their favorite rapping scenes.

The fact that kids get to see such scenes is more worrying than the fact that they enjoy them. Who the hel_l lets a 5 year old watch scenes of rape and violence?

Not familiar with the Thai language, but if the survey was done in English with English kids they would probably say something similar,

citing Eminem, Dr Dre and Snoop as the stars of their favorite rapping scenes.

I cannot imagine the 6 year olds that I know, having any idea of what "rape" is. :o

Interesting premise, but the age groupings are very strange. Makes you wonder how they posed the questions, if the comprehension levels vary so widely from one age group to another.

There must be a motive in doing these surveys, which in the end, tells us almost nothing--except that sex is bad, rape is worse and that we should watch something more "traditional" on TV.

We can't see smoking, but we can see cigarettes; we can't see drinking, but we can see alcohol; we can't see shooting, but we can see the gun. Talk about a half-a*ssed way of doing things.

There must be a motive in doing these surveys, which in the end, tells us almost nothing--except that sex is bad, rape is worse and that we should watch something more "traditional" on TV.

We can't see smoking, but we can see cigarettes; we can't see drinking, but we can see alcohol; we can't see shooting, but we can see the gun. Talk about a half-a*ssed way of doing things.

The motive seems to be blaming ordinary Thais and popular media for societies failings, whilst the truly amoral "elite" of the country: shoot, rape, deal drugs, plunder the coffers, and drive over people with total impunity. The Ministry For Smokescreens maintains this illusion.

BANGKOK: -- A recent survey has revealed shocking findings: .....Dr Noppadon Kannika said Tuesday as the head of the Assumption University's research centre, "This is worrying".

No. :o What is worrying is that Assumption has come out again with another attempt to position itself as the custodian of morality. Just what we need, another survey described as a scientific study. I'm all for research provided it is free of bias. In my humble view, Assumption always takes the side which is in lockstep with the dictates of the Vatican. Just as one is concerned by pharmaceutical companies that fund studies at hospitals where the involvement and interests of the drug company are not declared, the same applies here. I believe it fair to question Assumption on the belief that it has an obligation to state that its "research" is predicated upon the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and that it's "research" is influenced by those teachings. A visit to the website has little items that raise concern.

- Assumption is administered by the Brothers of St. Gabriel, a worldwide Catholic religious order

- The University is an international community of scholars, enlivened by Christian inspiration,

-PHILOSOPHY: In loyalty to its Christian mission

It is not my intent to bash this school or those that profess their religious faith, particularly since I benefited from a Church of England school and the Jesuit teaching orders. Rather, it is to point out that the report may have been biased.

One other point, minor for some but significant for others. Good old Noppadon received his PhD in Computer and Engineering Management from Assumption University. In the sciences, it is customary for the person discussing a specific hypothesis and related research, when referring to his academic credentials, to have the doctorate in the field of study. I am certainly not questioning his abilities as the other diplomas in political science, philosophy and sociology required studying and work. I give the gentlemen full credit for being honest as he states "I also specialize in surveys on consumer's satisfaction with marketing strategies and evaluation research, and conduct surveys on crime, drug abuse, and the quality of Thai youth." Unfortunately, most readers will not be able to differentiate between a survey and a full fledged psychological study that actually measures deviant behaviour.

"- Assumption is administered by the Brothers of St. Gabriel, a worldwide Catholic religious order

- The University is an international community of scholars, enlivened by Christian inspiration,

-PHILOSOPHY: In loyalty to its Christian mission"

Well "rape, children and expertise" are certainly fields of study of which the Christian church has some experience.

PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES!

Kids are taken on motorbikes with no helmets, are allowed to ride motorbikes while underage and wearing no helmet, riding with parents in BMW or Benz and still not wearing a seatbelt, even newborns in mother's arms up in the front passenger seat instead of a carseat. Parents caring about what they watch on the tube is not for tomorrow.

BANGKOK: -- A recent survey has revealed shocking findings: many children enjoy watching scenes of rapes on TV and they come to see sexual assaults as something common.

"Some children even say they want to be like leading male characters in TV series so that they can rape a woman," Dr Noppadon Kannika said Tuesday as the head of the Assumption University's research centre, "This is worrying".

Conducted from April 24 to April 27, the survey covered 2,159 respondents in Bangkok and major cities. The respondent age starts from two years old up.

According to the survey, raping scenes are the favourite among 21.1 per cent of children aged between 13 and 19 years old, 10.3 per cent of children aged between two and six years old and 6.4 per cent of those aged from seven to 12 years old.

-- The Nation 2008-04-29

The research is absolutely ridiculous, but I would honestly love it if they would show women in a much more realistic light than they do on these ludicrous soap operas.

Despite getting slapped around and treated like dirt, the story line always ends up with the maiden falling head over heels in love with the perpetrator, as though to not would sully the dutiful image of women. The stories are absolute tripe and probably can have an effect on how male and female interaction is defined in impressionable minds.

And with rape scene being the centerpiece of the whole drama, who wouln't "enjoy" it.

Does Eminem rape women in his videos?

There's a lot of violence in western enterntainment, but rape is generally off limits. Not so in Thailand, apparently.

But hold on, it's the "elites" fault again. Never mind, the "real" Thai people have shown them class last Friday at Thammasat.

-- The Nation 2008-04-29

The research is absolutely ridiculous, but I would honestly love it if they would show women in a much more realistic light than they do on these ludicrous soap operas.

Despite getting slapped around and treated like dirt, the story line always ends up with the maiden falling head over heels in love with the perpetrator, as though to not would sully the dutiful image of women. The stories are absolute tripe and probably can have an effect on how male and female interaction is defined in impressionable minds.

Spot on.

Interesting premise, but the age groupings are very strange. Makes you wonder how they posed the questions, if the comprehension levels vary so widely from one age group to another.

Isn't the whole survey "strange"?

Not only "how" they posed the questions, but "how" they were allowed to do so?

In most western nations I think that the very questioning of children under 16 on this topic would be illegal and in itself deemed to be potentially abusive.

Certainly I would not have allowed my daughter to be questioned on this topic at the age of 6. Fourteen maybe. Dr Nopp & Co could be responsible for much distress and confusion in young minds. Maybe even for promoting the whole topic of rape among some of his young male respondants?

Two last points before I go to hospital for my annual reality check:

1. We westerners may slam these TV soaps as "unrealistic", especially when we see the rape victim falling for her attacker. But have WE done any research on this, in a nation where until very recently some attackers were ORDERED TO MARRY their victims?! Could this be closer to the truth than the incredulity with which we feel comfy? Could young female viewers be experiencing "grooming" by insidious, male media decision makers, without knowing it?

2. Let us never underestimate the possibly horrendous scale of unreported sex abuse within Thai society. On a totally different topic I have met heads of 3 orphanages here in the north over the past month. Away from my topic, two mentioned that one girl in each establishment were not in fact orphans. In both cases, their mothers had disappeared and they were terrified of living with their fathers. Both showed clear psychological signs of sex abuse. One was 14. One, whose father had just come out of jail after a short sentence for drug dealing, was making a big fuss to get his daughter back. She is just 7.

Food for deeper thought on this?

Isn't the whole survey "strange"?

Not only "how" they posed the questions, but "how" they were allowed to do so?

In most western nations I think that the very questioning of children under 16 on this topic would be illegal and in itself deemed to be potentially abusive.

Certainly I would not have allowed my daughter to be questioned on this topic at the age of 6. Fourteen maybe. Dr Nopp & Co could be responsible for much distress and confusion in young minds. Maybe even for promoting the whole topic of rape among some of his young male respondants?

Two last points before I go to hospital for my annual reality check:

1. We westerners may slam these TV soaps as "unrealistic", especially when we see the rape victim falling for her attacker. But have WE done any research on this, in a nation where until very recently some attackers were ORDERED TO MARRY their victims?! Could this be closer to the truth than the incredulity with which we feel comfy? Could young female viewers be experiencing "grooming" by insidious, male media decision makers, without knowing it?

2. Let us never underestimate the possibly horrendous scale of unreported sex abuse within Thai society. On a totally different topic I have met heads of 3 orphanages here in the north over the past month. Away from my topic, two mentioned that one girl in each establishment were not in fact orphans. In both cases, their mothers had disappeared and they were terrified of living with their fathers. Both showed clear psychological signs of sex abuse. One was 14. One, whose father had just come out of jail after a short sentence for drug dealing, was making a big fuss to get his daughter back. She is just 7.

Food for deeper thought on this?

These stories (soap operas) have been around in Thai culture for nearly 100 years, without any revision for the modern day which is very scary. Since they are so widely watched I do believe that they have an effect of "grooming" young impressionable minds.

Unfortunately, none of this surprises me at a'll. We have raised our son here for 9 years. When he was very young, age 8 - 9, sometimes he would stay over at a friends house. That soon stopped with certain Thai friends, as we came to find out that the entire evening the kids in the house were watching horror movies, R rated content films, MTV etc. Not age appropriate IMHO. Our son actually stopped wanting to go, as he became bored and would play with Lego or video games by himself. We also noted at the local Muu Gaa Taa, that a TV would be playing, young Thai children watching, with all kinds of R rated content. The parents barely even glanced at the screen, just had a bit of peace while eating. It became our observation at that time, that the Thais did not seem to be aware of or understand the idea of 'age appropriate' viewing. We wondered at that time, what effect this would have on these kids, and, in the future, on the society. :o

Edited by debcmai

The fact that kids get to see such scenes is more worrying than the fact that they enjoy them. Who the hel_l lets a 5 year old watch scenes of rape and violence?

As opposed to our own countries there is no real childrens television on the Thai channels. In the Netherlands during daytime one of the public television channel is dedicated to tv for young children with an educational value. In Thailand there are only repeats of soaps and comedyseries. Nothing for children really. That is the problem!

Waerth

More rubbish research whose methodology and choice of cohorts would be picked apart by a run-of-the-mill Bachelor's student in any half-arsed Western Uni. I do however agree that Thai television needs more appropriate programming and a ban on the family violence portrayed - esp the violence against women/children.

Edited by thaigene2