Court Orders Bt3.9million Compensation To A Patient

george

Court orders Bt3.9million compensation to a patient

NONTHABURI: -- The Nonthaburi Provincial Court Thursday ordered the Public Health Ministry to pay Bt3.9million compensation for causing brain damages to a young man.

Yongyuth Pannina, now 23, becomes permanently disabled as a result of medical malpractice while he was seeking treatment at a state hospital in early 2005. His mother, Duangnapa, has since sued the Public Health Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-05-01

All sympathies to the youngster and family and lets hope all the other cases of gross neglect are brought before the courts and punished accordingly. More such publicity should go a long way to eradicating the cavalier practice that is so often evident over here.

NONTHABURI: -- The Nonthaburi Provincial Court Thursday ordered the Public Health Ministry to pay Bt3.9million compensation for causing brain damages to a young man.

Yongyuth Pannina, now 23, becomes permanently disabled as a result of medical malpractice while he was seeking treatment at a state hospital in early 2005. His mother, Duangnapa, has since sued the Public Health Ministry.

-- The Nation 2008-05-01

Though only 2 para, therefore not much details, but at least some form of justice is done here. The court ordering the gov to pay up.

Don't judge all Government hospitals from this. I have had nothing but excellent care-taking professional service from my District Hospital and from Srinakarind in Khon Kaen.

As a former paramedical, I take careful note, especially when choosing where to go when it is necessary to let a cardiologist go poking around inside my heart.

This reminds of that poor woman who went in for a hysterectomy and came out of the hospital urinating out of her vagina. It took 9 months and the media hilighting the issue before the government consented to pay to repair the damage done to this woman. I don't recall how much compensation she got, but it seems that people here are finally realizing that they don't have to be treated in a cavalier manner by their doctors.

I don't judge all government hospitals by this, but ours is certainly substandard. And, to be honest, given the high numbers of similar such stories in the press, I would think twice before going to a govt hospital for something serious.

The lack of details is disturbing. No physician names, no specifics as to the procedures. Is there not a public duty to provide more details? What if the physician truly was incompetent? Don't patients have a right to know and decide for themselves?

This lack of detail isn't restricted to Thailand. In Canada, a physician can botch all sorts of procedures and the public is never told. Names are rarely if ever given and hearings are undertaken by the respective provincial college of physicians with no public access. However, in the USA, many states post the disciplinary hearings and malpractice records of physicians so that the public can see for themselves. Maybe in 50 years the public will be given the right to know. :o

-- The Nation 2008-05-01

Though only 2 para, therefore not much details, but at least some form of justice is done here. The court ordering the gov to pay up.

Ordering to pay up and actually doing so are two different things. I'll wager that this family will be waiting years before they receive any compensation.

Is there not a public duty to provide more details?

No

Occasionally I wonder what became of the women who found out 9 years later doctors removed a kidney during a non related operation. The implication being they needed it for a transplant and felt she caould spare one. Just another here today gone tommorrow news article in the magic kingdom.