Fertilizer

Where I live, natural fertilizer from cows is expensive. There are alot of chicken farms so chicken sh!t is cheap. The problem is chicken shi.t is high in nitrogen. It tends to burn and root crops dont like nitrogen. I use it but sparingly.

In my last life, I used 10-10-10 as an all purpose fertilizer with good results. Here on my trees, I use 15-15-15. Hard to notice any real improvement.

To get to the point, there is alot of talk on the news about fake fertilizers. Im wondering how one would know if the fertilizer he is buying is fake or not? The 15-15-15 burns the grass a bit around the trees, so I would guess there is nitrogen in it.

Any thoughts?

Where I live, natural fertilizer from cows is expensive. There are alot of chicken farms so chicken sh!t is cheap. The problem is chicken shi.t is high in nitrogen. It tends to burn and root crops dont like nitrogen. I use it but sparingly.

In my last life, I used 10-10-10 as an all purpose fertilizer with good results. Here on my trees, I use 15-15-15. Hard to notice any real improvement.

To get to the point, there is alot of talk on the news about fake fertilizers. Im wondering how one would know if the fertilizer he is buying is fake or not? The 15-15-15 burns the grass a bit around the trees, so I would guess there is nitrogen in it.

Any thoughts?

tatom, A lot of the fertilizer available in Los originates in China so there is no real way for a layman to know what you are getting,all I can suggest is to only buy product originating from a reputable Thai firm?.

Your lucky to be able to get chook poo,I have searched everywhere from Udon to Sakhon Nakhon trying to buy a few tonne with no success.

A farang not far away pelletises it and flogs it for 280 baht a 40kg bag which is to expensive, the other small producers use it on their rubber trees.

I would suggest to buy in a reasonable quantity and leave it in a heap to age (compost) as the process of composting uses up much of the nitrogen in it and takes the "bite " out of it.

How much do they ask for chook poo in your area? I could handle a truck load to replace the 1k per bag 10-20-0 I use for pond greening .

...The 15-15-15 burns the grass a bit around the trees, so I would guess there is nitrogen in it.

The numbers represent the N-P-K percentage. It therefore contains 15% nitrogen.

Rgds

Khonwan

Any thoughts?

tatom, A lot of the fertilizer available in Los originates in China so there is no real way for a layman to know what you are getting,all I can suggest is to only buy product originating from a reputable Thai firm?.

Your lucky to be able to get chook poo,I have searched everywhere from Udon to Sakhon Nakhon trying to buy a few tonne with no success.

A farang not far away pelletises it and flogs it for 280 baht a 40kg bag which is to expensive, the other small producers use it on their rubber trees.

I would suggest to buy in a reasonable quantity and leave it in a heap to age (compost) as the process of composting uses up much of the nitrogen in it and takes the "bite " out of it.

How much do they ask for chook poo in your area? I could handle a truck load to replace the 1k per bag 10-20-0 I use for pond greening .

I agree with Ozzy, just compost it during the wet season. Although I was always told to try and get duck manure when in Thailand, as the chickens are feed salt or something to keep them making drinking water (I forget all the details why), but anyway its probably all the added salt that is causing the burning. Anyway salt or nitrogen the composting will take care of it.

Ozzy if you go about 8km out of Udon towards Loei, on the left handside is a big chook factory. The factory used to be a couple of hundred meters before the dual carrigae way ends, I am not sure if they have extended the dual carriage way in that direction recently. I think they had something like 20-30 tons a month of shit to sell. Are you interested in pig Manure?

SAP

Any thoughts?

Hi Ozzydom,

Bit off topic, but why do you need to green ponds.

We have one pond we use for producing fish, just for local sale and don't do anything other than stock and harvest feed inbetween.

Gwynt

Any thoughts?

Hi Ozzydom,

Bit off topic, but why do you need to green ponds.

We have one pond we use for producing fish, just for local sale and don't do anything other than stock and harvest feed inbetween.

Gwynt

Hi gwynt, we farm Pla Nin which are screen feeders ,they feed mainly on micro-organisms and phytoplankton which breed and multiply in green water,phosphorous is used to added to the pond to create the proper conditions which also turns the water "green"..The green is actually algae which the micro organisms feed on so its just a way of creating a feed cycle.

With this method only supplementary feeding is necessary as the high protein comes from the natural food.

Phosphate fertilizers prices have gone through the roof so we are looking to go back to using animal manure as our source.