Holidaying In Europe From Uk

Do a search on this site plenty of information.

From my experience. You can go to germany without visa (check on the consulate's website).

Forget about asking for a Visa for Netherlands, Spain, Italy or France if you're wife doesn't have the residency card issued on the passport.

If you have a marriage certificate you might try to go directly to the airlines but again, the check-in people might stop you or you might have issue s when you land (border security guards might not aware of this law).

Search on the forum also...

g.

• 2 months later...
John, both Spain and Portugal are part of the Schengen area. Your wife can apply for a Schengen visa at a consulate of either of these two countries.

--

Maestro

My Story of how i nearly had a heart attack using a schengen visa for another destination orther than the one it was issued for. First i wanted to take my Thai wife who has ILTRemain to Tenerrife but was dismayed to find out Spain has a long waiting list and charges at least 20 pounds by using the phone to gain information. Lucky for me i have a Netherlands consulate in my home city in the UK. I know or thought i knew a Schengen visa is valid in all EU member states. When i went to the Dutch consulate they were very helpful told what papers i needed (marrige certificate wifes bank statment etc) said it might take 2 weeks (5 days later passport arr back with 3 months visa) She TOLD me in know uncertain ters we had to travel to the Netherlands to get the visa validated in the Netherlands( ie ask the customs officer to stamp your wifes Thai passport with the entry stamp(we did not have to ask as you can see they are suspicious anyway) By the way i was fortunate to be able to afford to go for a weekend to the Netherlands anyway. Ok so 6 weeks later we turn up at Manchester airport for our week in Tenerrife, i dont know why but about 2 days before we left i started to worry( yes we know the visa is valid but does the Macdonalds check in person know ? )the answer is not until they ask there collegues sevaral times and ask to see her return ticket. It took 25 mins of phone calls and asking about. Would i do it again that way No i would get the visa to the country i was traveling to.By the way when we got to Tenerrife the customs officer had never seen a Thai passport so he asked his mate stamped her passport shoved it at her mumbled and i think went back to sleep, Never again Choke Dee !

John, both Spain and Portugal are part of the Schengen area. Your wife can apply for a Schengen visa at a consulate of either of these two countries.

--

Maestro

My Story of how i nearly had a heart attack using a schengen visa for another destination orther than the one it was issued for. First i wanted to take my Thai wife who has ILTRemain to Tenerrife but was dismayed to find out Spain has a long waiting list and charges at least 20 pounds by using the phone to gain information. Lucky for me i have a Netherlands consulate in my home city in the UK. I know or thought i knew a Schengen visa is valid in all EU member states. When i went to the Dutch consulate they were very helpful told what papers i needed (marrige certificate wifes bank statment etc) said it might take 2 weeks (5 days later passport arr back with 3 months visa) She TOLD me in know uncertain ters we had to travel to the Netherlands to get the visa validated in the Netherlands( ie ask the customs officer to stamp your wifes Thai passport with the entry stamp(we did not have to ask as you can see they are suspicious anyway) By the way i was fortunate to be able to afford to go for a weekend to the Netherlands anyway. Ok so 6 weeks later we turn up at Manchester airport for our week in Tenerrife, i dont know why but about 2 days before we left i started to worry( yes we know the visa is valid but does the Macdonalds check in person know ? )the answer is not until they ask there collegues sevaral times and ask to see her return ticket. It took 25 mins of phone calls and asking about. Would i do it again that way No i would get the visa to the country i was traveling to.By the way when we got to Tenerrife the customs officer had never seen a Thai passport so he asked his mate stamped her passport shoved it at her mumbled and i think went back to sleep, Never again Choke Dee !

Hi,

Been travelling with my thai wife for about 5 years all over Europe, she as had many schengen visas and has never had a problem at all.

I don tknow what you mean by "Validating the Shengen Visa" by having it stamped in the Netherlands, the schengen Visa is Valid for travel for the period shown on the visa to all the schengen countries.

I think you must have either misunderstood the guy or he was winding you up.

What I am interested in is that the Canary Islands (are as far as I am aware) are not part of the Schengen Agreement as it does not form part of the EU.

It is administered by the Spanish Authorities but it is a Duty free zone so I would think that a Schengen Visa was not necessary in the first instance,as the wife has ILTR and you accompanied her and both had return tickets I would imagine that

your wife's ILTR multi entry to the uk was sufficient and this seems to be supported by the fact the Immigration guy there took no notice of the schngen visa and had to ask his pal before letting her in.

I am sure that quite a few member's will have travelled to the Canaries with their thai wives so I hope they will relay their experiences for us.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

--

Maestro

Hi,

Been travelling with my thai wife for about 5 years all over Europe, she as had many schengen visas and has never had a problem at all.

I don tknow what you mean by "Validating the Shengen Visa" by having it stamped in the Netherlands, the schengen Visa is Valid for travel for the period shown on the visa to all the schengen countries.

I think you must have either misunderstood the guy or he was winding you up.

What I am interested in is that the Canary Islands (are as far as I am aware) are not part of the Schengen Agreement as it does not form part of the EU.

It is administered by the Spanish Authorities but it is a Duty free zone so I would think that a Schengen Visa was not necessary in the first instance,as the wife has ILTR and you accompanied her and both had return tickets I would imagine that

your wife's ILTR multi entry to the uk was sufficient and this seems to be supported by the fact the Immigration guy there took no notice of the schngen visa and had to ask his pal before letting her in.

I am sure that quite a few member's will have travelled to the Canaries with their thai wives so I hope they will relay their experiences for us.

Roy gsd