Bangkok To Mukdahan

Having not travelled to this part of Thailand before, I was wondering if any members could suggest the most convenient way to get to Mukdahan from Bangkok.

By road is not an option I'm interested in, though. I'm guessing I have to fly to some nearby province and then get a car the rest of the way.

Advice appreciated.

I would suggest flying to Ubon Ratchathani (Thai, Nok or Air Asia) and then renting a car. Budget have an office in the terminal building at Ubon.

Yeah, it looks like flying to Ubon was the most convenient. But next - I need a driver, since I don't drive - any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave :o

I would suggest flying to Ubon Ratchathani (Thai, Nok or Air Asia) and then renting a car. Budget have an office in the terminal building at Ubon.

Yeah, it looks like flying to Ubon was the most convenient. But next - I need a driver, since I don't drive - any suggestions?

Fly to Khon kaen you will find a driver to take you to Mukdahan and it wont cost a lot .

JB

Fly to Khon kaen you will find a driver to take you to Mukdahan and it wont cost a lot .

JB

Looked at that - however the drive from KK to Mukdahan is apparently quite long by comparison.

Also, any tips on what to do in Mukdahan? Where to stay, etc?

TIA.

I spent 3 days there last November whilst touring the North East and to be frank it was a very long 3 days!

The place is pleasant enough but offers very little in the form of sightseeing. The prime claim to fame is the Friendship Bridge across the river to Laos.

Outside of the town there are a few (repeat few) sights to see but nothing memorable.

Would I go back - NO.

Thanks, Dave :D

JB

Looked at that - however the drive from KK to Mukdahan is apparently quite long by comparison.

Also, any tips on what to do in Mukdahan? Where to stay, etc?

TIA.

From Ubon Ratchathani airport

Arrange a taxi service from Ploy Palace Hotel of Mukdahan to pick you up at the ubon airport. costs around 300 Baht, well, 2 years ago.

From Nakhon Phanom airport

- ditto -

if you're adventurous, i suggest you take the daytime trip of the train from hualamphong, to catch a glimpse of the Isaan countryside... :o

What to do.

Visit,

*Mukdahan city tower, Muk's very own 'control tower' wherein one gets a nice view of the Mekong river, and the newly-built bridge crossing Savannakhet

*Talad Indochin (Indochina Market), where you can find exotic products from Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines. bought myself a nice souvenir, a cold war era Soviet-made binocular from Laos

*Phusa Dok Bua (Lotus flower) national park, at the summit one gets a breath-taking view of the Isaan plains, Thailand's rice bowl

*Unseen Thailand - Phu Pha Terp national park, famous for its prehistoric rock paintings

*Talad Lad Tree - if Chiang Mai has its night bazaar, Mukdahan has its Talad Lad Tree. street foods galore, have a taste of Lao-style noodles - Khao Piak! and Vietnamese dumplings!

Where to stay

Ploy Palace Hotel - choice hotel of BKKians on their way to Vietnam

Mukdahan Grand Hotel - if Ploy is full, try this

and there's 2 more hotels that Japs frequent, name escapes me now

Edited by ai kwaan

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone - much appreciated.

ai kwaan - actually, I remember seeing that Ploy Palace taxi thing somewhere - sounds like a good idea so thanks for mentioning it again. I assume that the Ploy Palace is the best hotel in Mukdahan?

Thank goodness, I'm only staying one night.

it makes more sense to go with Air Asia to Ubon and then get a taxi to Mukdahan right from the airport if it's as low as 3/400 baht. You'll have to get some transport to the out-of-town bus station where Mukdahan buses leave from if you wanted to take the bus. I did this trip in the opposite direction two years ago and if I'd have known I could have gotten a taxi for as low as that, I would have done it that way.

going via Khon Kaen or Nakhon Phanom makes no sense, budget airlines don't serve them. Only Thai serves Khon Kaen, and only PB Air Nakhon Phanom.

of course, if you wanted to you could get an eastern line night train to Ubon from Bangkok too.

Having not travelled to this part of Thailand before, I was wondering if any members could suggest the most convenient way to get to Mukdahan from Bangkok.

By road is not an option I'm interested in, though. I'm guessing I have to fly to some nearby province and then get a car the rest of the way.

Advice appreciated.

Road may not be an option for what reason?

Surely it's easier than having to go to the airport, waiting for your plane etc. etc. then finding you are barely 2/3 the way to where you want to be! The bus from Mor Chit may not be the most comfortable way to go but you don't have to keep changing your mode of transport and waiting to catch a plane. Take the overnight bus and you'll be in Mukdahan next morning, I think there's a VIP bus even. It's also got to be cheaper!

Truck drivers and pot holes :o

Surely it's easier than having to go to the airport, waiting for your plane etc. etc. then finding you are barely 2/3 the way to where you want to be! The bus from Mor Chit may not be the most comfortable way to go but you don't have to keep changing your mode of transport and waiting to catch a plane. Take the overnight bus and you'll be in Mukdahan next morning, I think there's a VIP bus even. It's also got to be cheaper!

Fortunately, cheap is not a problem, as the company is paying :D Time, however, is an issue, not to mention peace of mind, I will almost never take inter-provincial bus rides lasting longer than 2 hours. I'd say you're probably right about time - but if that's the case I'm still choosing the flight :D

Callippo - is there a good reason why I should take Air Asia instead of Thai?

I've already sent an inquiry to Ploy Palace - whether they actually respond or not remains to be seen, if not by tomorrow I will call them. Seems to be the best hotel in town, with the Grand running not too far behind. The hotel taxi service seems to be a great option.

Anyone know any good places to eat/drink/be merry? Going to be more important now as it is looking like there won't be any net access...

Edited by onethailand

not if SOC is paying for it, in which case I'd probably take the PB Air flight to Nakhon Phanom. They don't fly every day though. I agree with you about buses in Thailand, though my limit is around five hours. If it were two, I couldn't even get to Kanchanaburi or Pattaya in one go.

not if SOC is paying for it, in which case I'd probably take the PB Air flight to Nakhon Phanom. They don't fly every day though. I agree with you about buses in Thailand, though my limit is around five hours. If it were two, I couldn't even get to Kanchanaburi or Pattaya in one go.

LOL. Pattaya is just about two hours. And that is my limit... though I must confess I haven't been to Pattaya in a couple of years and the last few times we took vans... Kanchanaburi is a bit longer I guess but I've not been there for many years now. I once did a bus to Mae Sai - the free Dunkin Donut munchkins they gave me didn't quite make it worthwhile :o

Gonna have to pass on PB, at least Thai flies to Ubon 2-3x per day so schedule isn't a major problem.

If Ploy Palace come through with the hotel car, then my only remaining worry is food/drink/entertainment. I can't imagine that crossing over to Savannakhet for a few hours will be much trouble.

Gonna have to pass on PB

unless you have views on them as an airline I don't share, the flight will likely be more expensive than Thai. If you've never flown with them before, I'd say go it. Both Sakhon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom are that little bit closer to Mukdahan than Ubon is as well.

Gonna have to pass on PB

unless you have views on them as an airline I don't share, the flight will likely be more expensive than Thai. If you've never flown with them before, I'd say go it. Both Sakhon Nakhon and Nakon Phanom are that little bit closer to Mukdahan than Ubon is as well.

No personal views or experience of PB Air - just need the convenience of flight schedules. Besides I gotta work on my ROP FF miles (as if this trip is going to help!)

going via Khon Kaen or Nakhon Phanom makes no sense, budget airlines don't serve them. Only Thai serves Khon Kaen, and only PB Air Nakhon Phanom.

you just can't visit Mukdahan without passing by the famous Wat That Phanom in Nakhon Phanom!

one of the most sacred temples in Buddhism, where pilgrims from all over the world come to pay 'tamboon', it is generally believed that some of Buddha's bones are kept in this temple.

Anyone know any good places to eat/drink/be merry? Going to be more important now as it is looking like there won't be any net access...

i can't remember the names, good place to

eat/drink/watch football on hdtv:

*all these shops along the Mekong river - highly suggested

*this resto along the main road to ubon, it's right smack in the middle of a fishpond!

*that 'neua young gao-li' style / bbq shop in front of the Kasirkorn bank in the downtown, and another in front of the Tesco Lotus

drink/drink/get naughty

*these bars along the route going to the Mukdahan tower! i find the Viet girls hotter than the locals :o

hope this helps

Thank you for your interest in staying at Ploy Palace Hotel. Our Deluxe rooms rate is 1,800 THB/night (Features Hi-speed Internet (free of charge),DVD players, in-room safety box, Duvet cover linens, Free Coffee/Tea, Fruits Basket, Slippers etc)

Our hotel has been operating the pick-up service from Ubon Ratchatani Airport to Ploy Palace Hotel by our mini van since 1994. At the moment, we have the service 3 times daily serving *** Bangkok - Ubon Rathchathani Flights TG 1020 TG1022 and TG 1030 *** Ubon Ratchathani - Bangkok Flights TG 1021 TG1023 and TG 1031

The service rate is 350 Bahts per trip per person. Please kindly note that the transfer services are served Thai Airways flights only.

umm... wow. Woke up to find a response in my email... very thorough. Price obviously slightly high going straight through the hotel but as I said, the company is picking this up.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

• 1 year later...

Truck drivers and pot holes :)

Fortunately, cheap is not a problem, as the company is paying :D Time, however, is an issue, not to mention peace of mind, I will almost never take inter-provincial bus rides lasting longer than 2 hours. I'd say you're probably right about time - but if that's the case I'm still choosing the flight :D

I've already sent an inquiry to Ploy Palace - whether they actually respond or not remains to be seen, if not by tomorrow I will call them. Seems to be the best hotel in town, with the Grand running not too far behind. The hotel taxi service seems to be a great option.

The Ploy is not necessarily the best hotel just the most expenxive. Hope you like the 10 year old carpet and the peeling wall paper. There are at least a dozen decent clean hotels (hope tile floors don't mess with your sensibilities) at a fraction of the cost. Most have wifi in room or access in the lobby. And no, they don't ride their elephants to work.