Re Imoprting A Car

tb86

Ok guys i have a very custom jeep wrangler in the US, its a couple years old, but tons of custom offroad gear on it, 20k plus in upgrades... its not worth much in actual sale price ie blue book value but what i want to know is what will it take to get it brought over here.... im not worried about when it gets here as it isnt a street ride, only for 4x4 use... but what kinda costs am i looking at getting it here, i know import tax will be high, but how high it origionaly was bought for 25k usd but i bought it as a wreck for 7 k so i have recipts saying i purchased it second hand for 7k , can i bring it here? what does the shipping cost from the us.. any experience with anything like this??

Whew.. answering these gets old..

If your not prepared to drop many multiple of the price the customs agent assesses it at, that is unless he feels like just taking it himself, forget it..

You 'might' and i do mean 'might' get it in at only a few million baht.

If he's doesn't want to register it for the road then the import tax will be a lot less than for a road registered vehicle. However the proces is very tricky and you'd be best to forget it as advised.

ok so its the inspection that the will judge the value of the vehicle on? it dosent look pretty at all... imagine some one took a perfectly good jeep and then smashed it all up the body is severly dented, no fenders, no windsheild, but mechanicaly its grossly overbuilt, it cant really be driven on the streets.more than 40mph gets scary. due to full hydro steering front and rear on full size dana 70's, it has no fender cover with 40x18.5x15 tires so they clear the body by about 16 inches..... not something that would be a pleasant ride on the street... so is it possible to import it as a farm implement style vehical... only reason i would bother is that if i want to replicate it here its gonna cost waaay more because almost all of the parts are gonna have to be imported. Just trying to get a realistic import estimate are we talking more than a million baht??

If he's doesn't want to register it for the road then the import tax will be a lot less than for a road registered vehicle. However the proces is very tricky and you'd be best to forget it as advised.

ok so its the inspection that the will judge the value of the vehicle on? it dosent look pretty at all... imagine some one took a perfectly good jeep and then smashed it all up the body is severly dented, no fenders, no windsheild, but mechanicaly its grossly overbuilt, it cant really be driven on the streets.more than 40mph gets scary. due to full hydro steering front and rear on full size dana 70's, it has no fender cover with 40x18.5x15 tires so they clear the body by about 16 inches..... not something that would be a pleasant ride on the street... so is it possible to import it as a farm implement style vehical... only reason i would bother is that if i want to replicate it here its gonna cost waaay more because almost all of the parts are gonna have to be imported. Just trying to get a realistic import estimate are we talking more than a million baht??

/Users/atom_999s/Desktop/P1010151.jpg

If your not prepared to drop many multiple of the price the customs agent assesses it at, that is unless he feels like just taking it himself, forget it..

A safer route would be to go through an established importer (like say Wattana Auto on Phetburi Rd.) and to pay them a commission (I'm guessing they'd do it for $5,000 to $10,000... seeing as they are happy with the relatively slim margins on some of the cars they bring in). Relatively no hassle for them as they don't even have to go through the trouble of buying or selling anything.

:o

A safer route would be to go through an established importer (like say Wattana Auto on Phetburi Rd.) and to pay them a commission (I'm guessing they'd do it for $5,000 to $10,000... seeing as they are happy with the relatively slim margins on some of the cars they bring in). Relatively no hassle for them as they don't even have to go through the trouble of buying or selling anything.

:o

sounds like a great idea, thanks will look into it

bring it to Malaysia. entering the border of thailand, and get a permit, for a 6 month period, will work with a reasonable price

will it pass as street legal in malaysia or thailand for that matter, it is not street legal in the us it is a green sticker vehical, ie its registered but has no plates, will not pass smog, due to a v8 engine swap not because it emits too much smog, gotta love california.. i was thinking about trying that as well..

Ok guys i have a very custom jeep wrangler in the US, its a couple years old, but tons of custom offroad gear on it, 20k plus in upgrades... its not worth much in actual sale price ie blue book value but what i want to know is what will it take to get it brought over here.... im not worried about when it gets here as it isnt a street ride, only for 4x4 use... but what kinda costs am i looking at getting it here, i know import tax will be high, but how high it origionaly was bought for 25k usd but i bought it as a wreck for 7 k so i have recipts saying i purchased it second hand for 7k , can i bring it here? what does the shipping cost from the us.. any experience with anything like this??

Bringing in used motorcycles and cars/trucks is not allowed except under very special circumstances. Start with the Ministry of Commerce and see how far you get. Then if you get written permission you can move on to an importer and or Customs. Customs will place their own value on your vehicle.

bring it to Malaysia. entering the border of thailand, and get a permit, for a 6 month period, will work with a reasonable price

Hello, OP

All these posts from well meaning farang residents make sense.

Sorry to say, you are trapped in the western mind-set of whether the vehicle is road legal or not. Here in Thailand, just the very fact that it is a CAR attracts all the worst sticky fingers that sleep at the desks in the Customs dept.

The official paperwork means nothing. When it arrives here on the docks they can demand whatever they please, and if a senior officer likes it, multiply that by 10.

Worse! If you don't pay they will NOT allow you to put the vehicle back on the boat. It will be entered in the next govt auction at which the men in unforms and/or their friends will put in the successful bids and drive away. Leaving you with zero. ZILCH. NOTHING. Kapitch?

Please, please, come here, settle down and look around. Find local material (a good road legal 1951 US Army Jeep is being advertised in Chiang Mai for under 200,000b) and simply d-i-y!

Bringing in used motorcycles and cars/trucks is not allowed except under very special circumstances. Start with the Ministry of Commerce and see how far you get. Then if you get written permission you can move on to an importer and or Customs. Customs will place their own value on your vehicle.

This is correct! Their own value mean, what a car like this is in the Thaimarket. They don't make chaper if you don't register the car, because many peaple use to do this 20 years ago and swapped the Vin numbers from some vehicle wich are already in Thaiand registered. Let's say they got a Blue book from a Pontiac. There was never not written what Model. So you could use a exsisting registered Pontiac Book (Le Mans) for example for a illegal imported Trans Am, swap the VIN Number behind the windscreen, wich is very easy. Tey use to do this before, but now the custom knows all the tricks. Forget it.