How safe is money in thai bank?...

Cinders

Say....

I was to up and leave my job, home, etc with all the money I could get together, how safe would it be if I open a Thai bank account and put it in?...

ie. if the "authorities" in the UK were looking for me, could they find out about this money or touch it at all?....

My advice would be to transfer from your UK bank to a 'reputable' Thai bank. Then open another account with a different 'reputable' Thai bank, draw the money out of the first bank in cash and deposit it in the second one. I guess this is probably not foolproof, but it worked for me during my divorce.

I thought that the EU were trying to put the squeeze on the channel islands, isle of man, switzerland etc. The put them on some kind of economic threat list. They now have agreed to comply with information sharing or something like that ..

Just search google for "oecd blacklist",

Cinders, very much on what "authotities" you have played with?

If you have not obtained money by deception, example running from a few credit card bills, then you have not committed a criminal offence, only a deception will ensue the issue of a warrant for you, and of course those VAT & Tax men can get a warrant very quickly.

Most "civil" cases of "getting" at your money stop at the border, too expensive to get conduct.

I know of two best methods if you care to e-mail me for a response as it would not be proper, posting the information on a public board.

Good Luck.

Sev

::o:

I meant credit card companies and banks.  I was planning on getting a big loan, running up all my credit cards and dispearing - i'm just wondering if they could come after me in thailand!?!.....

But it's a stupid idea, I'm going to use the money I've got and just go over to live for a year or two and not burn my bridges.

At least the CSA can't get my in Thailand!

Don't do it .

You have a house in UK.

Don't plan the rest of your life in Thailand when you are only 26 years old.  You might get fed up with it here.

Come for a couple of years with clean money and then decide.

Cinders,   the CSA is a goverment body hence they have powers of similar authorities such as Customs & Excise, Inland Revenue and Police.

They have powers to Bangrupt you in your absence and take any assett's you have in the UK.

Do not mess with the CSA if you Assets in the Uk, unless you want to lose them to the Official Receiver in the County Court, opps sorry the CSA use the Fast Track system in the High Court which is open to all Goverment Depts.

Best of Luck (you'll need it)

Sev

In my experience of the CSA (since it began), they are only concerned wityh very soft targets. I know of a woman who was made pregnant by her b/f. He put his name on the Birth Cert then walked out. He has never seen the kid in 8 years. He is a mini-cab driver, so takes mostly cash in hand. So he simply states he can't afford it. Another guy I know still gets weekends and such is a merchant banker (no not rhyming slang) and earns in access of 80k p/a and still only pays £200 per month for his 10 y/o autistic son, because he lies to the CSA. His ex told them several times, they can't be bothered to investigate! Follow you to Thailand - no chance.

If you take a loan and make no payments at all but dissapear, then they could take the view that you are attempting to take money by deception. This is a criminal offence, and you could gain a criminal record - especially if you were not there to defend yourself. This may be a problem applying for residency etc in LOS too.

I presume the house (asset) mentioned is not a problem because, I guess, your morgage plus the loan at least meets the house price. In other words, you are just getting around selling your house. Large loans will have to be secured against something, and that usually means equity - i.e. the bit of the house the bank doesn't own. So what are you gaining realy with the loan idea (except a neck ache from looking over your shoulder) ? ???

Wolf, sorry you could not be so more wrong.

The CSA are part of the Goverment Task Team connected to the Inland Revenue which have access to Data recorded to a persons National Insurance number.

Your National Insurance Number has access to all your income/outcome reguarding interest payment and rebate by building societies and bank accounts, hence the introduction of "self accessment" in 2001 to allow the individual to admit your finanicial situation situation.

So please do not generalise to people without the facts they may be faced with upon your advice, this guy is an easy target because he has assets, full stop.

With respect

Sev

The Isle of Man is the best place to deposit funds safely from almost anyone. The Isle of Man is not part of the U.K. it is in the 'British Isles'. They are even better than Swiss banks. Money there is very safe.

Obtaining bank loans and credit cards in the U.K. then if these are unsecured you have not broken the law if you do not pay them back. They will find you if you are working or kiving in the U.K. and obtain County Court Judgements in your absence, these expire after six years. If you had an address in the U.K. they could make you attend an 'Oral Examination' where you must swear that you have spent all your money.

Freedom from CSA is possible only by living and working overseas.

sevinnow,

I'm not generalising mate. I've been under their microscope since they first started. I know dozens of others who are likewise. CSA are, and have always been critisised for being, interested in soft targets.

"You could not be more wrong" - what's that mean - its me I'm talking about - is the insinuation that I don't know my own situation? Me and others I know personally. I do not post if I don't know unless I expressly state this. It is simply fact. The CSA nearly crippled me 6 years ago with charges that meant I could not make ends meet - and I'm talking basics here. Families need Fathers have millions of such cases on file. Fact, mate.

There are many, many ways to hide income - legally and not. The CSA are mandated to lower the DSS (Social Security) by moving costs to the so called 'absent' parent. This means, if the parent with the children has a job and/or is not collecting dole, the CSA is simply not interested. I also know of several women on this side of things. One my sister! She has a part time job (with another Government Agency I might add), gets family credit, but not dole. The CSA fobbed her off for years as her ex-husband simply said he could not afford it. His father is a lawyer, and they used clever accounting to show that his £70K wage does not stretch enough to pay more than two hundred quid PCM - that is what he pays. No matter how many times my sister has pushed this with them, they will not budge - yes an investigation should be simple. Its work that does not help their remit, so goes to the bottom of the file (never never land).

The CSA found out I was a company director of the company I was working for a few years back. I said that I was non-exec (which was bullshit as I was the only director and could easily be found out from Companies' House) and no further action was taken.

PS: My ex-wife and I have our own arrangements which she is happy with. The CSA do not help her as raises from me are met with losses to her from the DSS - ie. no net gain.

In my experience of the CSA they can't be bothered to investigate! Follow you to Thailand - no chance.

Wolf, when I said you could not be more wrong I was referring to the powers of the CSA with respect that they have the powers to get the court to issue the formal notice "Contempt of Court" after they have recorded 3 formal warnings of non-complience of letters.

"Comtempt of Court" is a criminal office and has international judical powers which includes Thailand as they have a reciprocal extriditional agreemant with the UK.

Again I am quoting "What Powers" the CSA have so please do not under estimate that they will one day make an example of these powers.

The above incidentally is factual.

Regards

Sev

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Always saddens me when fathers try to get out of CS payments by lying about there income or any other means.  My own father has lived in NZ since we were very young and my mother has worked very hard to raise us on her own.  Sad, sad, sad.............

Always saddens me when fathers try to get out of CS payments by lying about there income or any other means.  My own father has lived in NZ since we were very young and my mother has worked very hard to raise us on her own.  Sad, sad, sad.............

I find it disgusting to have men running away from their parental responsabilities by making the kids "pay". Truely disgusting. To think these people will actually come here and spend their money in Thailand on girls instead of taking care of their kids makes me very sad. I am starting to think that Toxin has the right ideas after all.

I agree with Butterfly and Joylord. Many guys come to Thailand and other south Asian Countries, spend the money on Girls instead taking the responsibilities to take care of the family. This is very selfish. When Toxin change any law slightly, these guys get so much existed. Wonder if they ever think if his father does such a thing, how they feel in return! I also feel that these Bar Girls in Thailand should take more money from this type of guys in return. I read so many stories that this type of expats has written about Thai Bar Girls and how they got cheated. I think they should get cheated more in return to what they have done. This reply is applicable to those who are trying to hide the money and assets to eliminate proper Divorce commitments, though this reply is not relevant to this topic. :cool:

Jaylord/Butterfly,

Totally agree. However, that does not mean agencies like the CSA help in any way at all except to the state. Many fathers who were paying large amounts of money for their children (and, yes, rightly so) and gave up their home and still keep up the morgage - suddenly find out that the agency has decided that it will collect the money instead. Sometimes it actually goes down, often it goes up. The important thing is that the mother (carer) is usually no better off and often far worse off. The reason is that court agreed maintainence etc are overriden by the CSA and if the mother is on benefits, these are often affected. The mother looses benefits. My ex-wife lost a lot of money when the CSA took over my payments. We had an agreement, and I always paid - and have always maintained full contact with my children. Now my son lives with me, my daughter with her - I still pay the same amount as I did for the two. She is happy with that.

Ask the group "Families need Fathers" how many fathers 'lost' their jobs because they simply could not afford to pay both mortgage and maintainance (and their reciprical reassesments - backdated a year!) - I myself was actually paying more out than came in several years ago - Luckily I changed my job and made secret agreements with my ex. She would have been no better off if I was on the dole queue too!

The fact is that the CSA was started up in an attermpt to capture those men that spread children around, but never look to their responsibilities - unfortunatly that proved to difficult and it instead turned its attention on people with court maint. agreements that kept in touch with their kids - the soft targets.

The CSA has been slated from every direction since it first come into being for being unfair and ill-aimed. Another good idea from the Conservatives that was set up and run by complete melons! Labour stated that they would radically overhaul it  - they are now far into their second term and nothing has happened - shock horror another Blair U-Turn!!!

In short people hiding (or hiding their income) from such Agencies may well be looking up to their responsibilities. Those that do not, and withold financial help to the past-families deserve any and every sharp word and thought we can muster.

I agree with Butterfly and Joylord. Many guys come to Thailand and other south Asian Countries, spend the money on Girls instead taking the responsibilities to take care of the family. This is very selfish. When Toxin change any law slightly, these guys get so much existed. Wonder if they ever think if his father does such a thing, how they feel in return! I also feel that these Bar Girls in Thailand should take more money from this type of guys in return. I read so many stories that this type of expats has written about Thai Bar Girls and how they got cheated. I think they should get cheated more in return to what they have done. This reply is applicable to those who are trying to hide the money and assets to eliminate proper Divorce commitments, though this reply is not relevant to this topic. :cool:

I could understand the argument if the wife was "working" or did something wrong or is a gold digger, but with the kids, it's not the same. Don't want to pay your wife forever because you hate her, fine, but hidding the money from the kids, you can't.

I agree that Fathers should take responsibility of their offspring yet C.S.A. calculations are often unfair. There have been suicides by men who have been hounded.

Sometimes women lie about being 'on the pill' in the U.K. and sometimes women 'snare' wealthy men hoping to become pregnant. Lucky old me, mumps at 13 years old destroyed my chances of Fatherhood!