Non-uk Domiciled

I'm keen to become non-UK domiciled. I've looked at the Inland Revenue's DOM1 form, and it all seems too simple. For example, I've read elsewhere that one needs to close all one's UK bank accounts, but the form doesn't ask about these.

Does anyone have any experiences of going through the process? Does the Inland Revenue have lots of follow-up questions? Is an interview at the British Embassy required (as I've read elsewhere)?

Thanks

Where did you find the DOM1 form?

When I was asking them about attaining non dom status they wouldn't tell me ANYTHING except go see a lawyer.

It was explained to me by an IFA that basically you have to sever all ties with UK. Bank accounts closed (offshore is OK though) no property (although not an absolute requirement) and no Will etc.

I thought in simple terms that non-doms were people born outside the UK with very little historical linkage to the UK. Basically, anyone who isn't Britsh and was born outside of the UK.

I thought in simple terms that non-doms were people born outside the UK with very little historical linkage to the UK. Basically, anyone who isn't Britsh and was born outside of the UK.

Not correct.....I am classsed as a Non-dom.....Was born in the UK, passport etc, but no properties, no bank accounts and essentionally no dealings or ties with the UK other than very occasional visit on holiday.....

You dont have to do any interview with an embassy etc, this is all to do with taxation, nothing more, doesnt effect your legal status as to the right of abode etc in the UK or your citizenship...

Believe under new tax rules and stand to be corrected....if you own property in the UK, you will be liable for tax

Not correct.....I am classsed as a Non-dom.....Was born in the UK, passport etc, but no properties, no bank accounts and essentionally no dealings or ties with the UK other than very occasional visit on holiday.....

You dont have to do any interview with an embassy etc, this is all to do with taxation, nothing more, doesnt effect your legal status as to the right of abode etc in the UK or your citizenship...

Believe under new tax rules and stand to be corrected....if you own property in the UK, you will be liable for tax

same same and still hold all my bank accounts etc

own my own home but only get taxed on the rental of the property if its over 4,000 gbp per year

• 1 month later...

Well, I wrote to HMRC and filled in the DOM1 form.

Their reply (in essence): "we won't tell you".

The longer version is (and I quote):

"it is HMRC's practice to comment on domicile only where it is immediately relevant to the current tax liability. It appears in your case that domicile does not have the necessary relevance as you are declaring yourself to be not ordinarily resident in the UK."

This seems to me incredibly unfair. I now have no idea whether, if I die, the taxman will take a large chunk of my money, or not - despite the fact that I've abandoned the UK.

Any thoughts or advice, please?

I got exactly the same answer from them and was told by my IFA that the way to get them to show any interest is to generate a taxable event. If they think you owe them money they will be after you for it and then you can prove that you are non-Dom.

Of course dying is a bit of an extreme way to make them sit up but I'd let your lawyer and executor of your Will know that you are indeed non-Domiciled and provide them with the necessary proof so that when you die they can establish your non-Dom status on behalf of your estate.

Another way to generate a taxable event is to set up a Trust. see here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1717111