While Males Must Not Wear Shorts Above The Knee, Pajamas, Sleeveless Shirts To Lecture Rooms Or Entering The Premises

As per the thread in news Clippings, but possibly we can (for research purposes and in the interest of fair ballance) display some of the inapropriate clothing that the boys may wear?

University says no more pajamas in lecture rooms, bans short skirts, tight blouses

Thammasat University students at the Rangsit campus who regularly wear pajamas to lecture rooms will soon find their liberty limited after a new dress code becomes effective.

The dress code will also restrict all types of casual wear worn by male or female students that are deemed inappropriate, although they have been allowed in lecture rooms at the Rangsit campus.

All students at Sanam Luang campus are required to wear uniforms during lectures on weekdays and casual clothes in certain classes during the weekend.

Casual dress is allowed under a long leniency period for students at Rangsit campus, where dormitories are provided for them, but the restrictions were needed because, according to deputy rector Parinya Thewanaruemitkul, the freedom of dress code "had long been overexploited".

Tight blouses and short skirts were unconditionally banned in both campuses, he said. Other clothes to be forbidden include revealing or too tight or sleeveless blouses or T-shirts. Shorts or skirts too high above knee level will be banned, while males must not wear shorts above the knee, pajamas, sleeveless shirts to lecture rooms or entering the premises.

Netwinon Thnaprarn-sing, a Faculty of Science and Technology senior, said that in her sophomore year, she usually dressed casually instead of wearing a uniform. "Sometimes, I've seen students wearing tank-tops and shorts. But I agree with this new rule. It's suitable."

Sirinart Srisutphikul, a senior law student, said probably 70 per cent of students dress in casual styles. "Lecturers don't require us to dress in uniform. But it's about what is respectful." He said the dress code has always been like this. "If we don't dress politely, we are not allowed in libraries or have administrative contact with the university..."

Well it's about time the Ministry of Vice and Virtue did something. They've been negligent lately. Actually, I've been thinking about volunteering to make sure that everyone is wearing underwear!

Was this mostly international students dressing like that, or did Thai students actually wear PJs boxers and sleeveless shirts to school?? I know that's common in the US, but I wouldn't dream of dressing like that for a class in Thailand, I'd think the professors had to consider it extremely rude.

Having spent almost a decade gracing student pubs and sometimes a classroom, clothing rules only make sense when safety matters. My limited experience in Thai uni classrooms is that they can get stuffy fast and if one is not comfortably dressed the likelihood of snoozing is increased. I think they have the priorities skewed here. The emphasis should be on academic achievement and the quality of education. There are a lot of weirdly dressed students and profs on western campuses, particularly in the science faculties. The clothing has never made a dent in the academic quality. I recall my Joey Ramone and Grunge Kid stage of dress and the profs couldn't have cared less. All that mattered to them was if I had performed. Uniforms in a university setting blunt individual expression and encourage group think. Universities should be a place where kids discover themselves. I'd love to see how they would react if a couple boys showed up in girl uniforms. Would they get in trouble for dressing like girls or be applauded for observing the uniform rules? What's next? Importing some folks from Saudi Arabi to make sure the girls cover their faces?

^crossdressing actually happens, by the way, at many universities. As far as I know they're ok as long as their uniforms match the requirements for the girls.

Regarding academic achievement- you're right to point out the ideal, but accountability needs to be built into the system all the way down before it can be expected at the university level.

How common is it for young men in public to wear boxer shorts as their outer garment?

My matayom male students had short pants. Uni, I do not know.

Boxer underwear shorts seen on young men every day at my uni--at the fitness center. Loud, garish, printed cloth cotton boxers with Doreamon figures, Mickey Mouse, and Red Hearts. All very loose-fitting. It encourages my own regular attendance for daily workouts.

Typical fashion statements at fitness center....

post-21740-1210927712.jpeg post-21740-1210927719_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

Ok, how about this:

Permissible campus wear:

cc05142008004.jpg

Not permissible:

cc05132008020.jpg

:o

out of no-where... a link to school uniforms on this Gay people in Thailand forum. Why, I do not understand the relevance unless there is an underlying reason?

Please don't take this as a bashing post, its not meant to be but I am surprised it hasn't been moved to the teaching forum (or Bedlam)

Dave

Having spent almost a decade gracing student pubs and sometimes a classroom, clothing rules only make sense when safety matters. My limited experience in Thai uni classrooms is that they can get stuffy fast and if one is not comfortably dressed the likelihood of snoozing is increased. I think they have the priorities skewed here. The emphasis should be on academic achievement and the quality of education. There are a lot of weirdly dressed students and profs on western campuses, particularly in the science faculties. The clothing has never made a dent in the academic quality. I recall my Joey Ramone and Grunge Kid stage of dress and the profs couldn't have cared less. All that mattered to them was if I had performed. Uniforms in a university setting blunt individual expression and encourage group think. Universities should be a place where kids discover themselves. I'd love to see how they would react if a couple boys showed up in girl uniforms. Would they get in trouble for dressing like girls or be applauded for observing the uniform rules? What's next? Importing some folks from Saudi Arabi to make sure the girls cover their faces?

Perhaps just an attempt to distract everyone from thinking about the real problem(s)...

Make a big deal about uniforms and dress codes, and maybe people will not question the quality of the educating.

Perhaps just an attempt to distract everyone from thinking about the real problem(s)...

Make a big deal about uniforms and dress codes, and maybe people will not question the quality of the educating.

It's obvious that it's the uniforms dragging down the education, and not overcrowded classrooms, substandard textbooks, backpack teachers without a degree, broken equipment, teacher-centered education, etc., etc..... :o

But we digress.... :D

Edited by toptuan

Those are seriously moxie B-Oxers. They come close to the coolness of my own. However, I have to wonder if any gay guys wear them. Last time my friends slept over I was told I looked idiot and that I wasn't a kid anymore :D . I'll leave out the other choice comments. However, one thing I have discovered is that Thais are sticklers for fashion, so I should have understood the obsession on the uniforms. This is a place where even the dog catcher gets a uniform and a medal if he is in the civil service.

BTW, that photo of the muscular fellow with the vampire deflection accoutrement- don't get over excited. His abs were way over embellished and modified in the pic. And if anyone develops swollen pecs like that, you might want to self examine for breast cancer. Crummy job on the belly button as well. :o I swear I'm not jealous. Honest.

BTW, that photo of the muscular fellow with the vampire deflection accoutrement- don't get over excited. His abs were way over embellished and modified in the pic. And if anyone develops swollen pecs like that, you might want to self examine for breast cancer. Crummy job on the belly button as well. :o I swear I'm not jealous. Honest.

Spent quite a bit of time goin' over that picture, didn't we, G-Kid? :D

Naturally I'm talking about the cat- no pants! What were *you* thinking? :o

Poor cat.

BTW, if your look at the human subject's left foot, the outer proximal and middle phalange are deformed: He's got a claw toe. Poor fellow must have pain walking.

At last! A rule I can agree with:

"male students must wear shorts below the knee."

Let's hope that includes boxer shorts, leaving the area above the knees open to view.

A possible safety concern, though, if all the male students are hobbling about campus with their shorts around their ankles!!!

On the other hand....

Might be handy for lecturers wondering which students to offer good results to!

Naturally I'm talking about the cat- no pants! What were *you* thinking? :o

Poor cat.

BTW, if your look at the human subject's left foot, the outer proximal and middle phalange are deformed: He's got a claw toe. Poor fellow must have pain walking.

Your attention to detail is truly amazing!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
The full-fledged pre-op katoeys wore proper girls uniforms at our business college.

OK, so guys can't come to class wearing only a g-string and a take-away number, but seriously: non-military UNIVERSITY students required to wear UNIFORMS?

haaaaaaaaa! exactly :)