Dismissing The Maid - What Is The Usual Procedure?

khun_j

hi,

i´m not sure if i am in the right forum but hope so ;O)

we are going to dismiss our maid soon because we are simply not happy with her work (no discussion on this needed ;O)

what is the usual procedure: tell her 2 weeks before, telling it on the spot and taking in the keys right away, giving extra pay (which she sure does not deserve)...?

thanks a lot for your input. she works part-time and does not live with us (bangkok).

hi,

we are going to dismiss our maid soon because we are simply not happy with her work (no discussion on this needed ;O)

what is the usual procedure: tell her 2 weeks before, telling it on the spot and taking in the keys right away, giving extra pay (which she sure does not deserve)...?

thanks a lot for your input. she works part-time and does not live with us (bangkok).

if you tell her two weeks before, she will no doubt steal what she can from you and leave.

you are better off firing her on the spot and paying her a couple of weeks salary anyway.

just do it nicely and she will be ok :-) but get her out the house straight after and keep your eyes on her.

hi,

You don't want to do anything that makes her lose face and potentially gets mad. Don't discuss the quality of her work. When she finishes one day just tell her you don't need her to come back anymore and give her a payoff. Two weeks is a bit mean if she's been working for you for a while, especially considering her salary is probably tiny anyway. I paid a month each time I moved and changed maid. And once paid 3 months for a maid that had been with me for a couple of years

I agree with the others, no notice, just wait till she comes in one morning & send her straight home, gets keys back but IMO changing the locks she had keys too would be a good idea too. If she works part time then give her 1 month salary, that way she has time to find other work. Letting her stay for 2 weeks notice is tempting fate too much & if her work is shoddy anyway then whats the point.

As for why youa re letting her go just tell her it isn't working out & thanks for the work you have done so far.

Honesty is not the best policy at all when it comes to employment situations, and it's rare that anybody gives out a real reason for terminating employment here. Employees will also make up an excuse when they are leaving a job, even if it was an obviously miserable situation. Don't make the maid lose face when you are telling her, even if she will find out later that you were lying. You could say that you are returning to your home country and give her a month's salary.

Not that a part-time maid would go to the ministry of labour, but there are actually very pro-employee laws here. They have been known to support the worker, even if illegal. I believe the law is that any employee employed for over one year is owed one month of severance per year worked. The exceptions to the rule are if the person is fired for insubordination or theft. If you weren't paying taxes on her pay, giving her a month's salary is a good idea.

If someone would not mind, what are the laws concerning 'paying taxes' on household help? Is this like witholding payroll taxes or more like an employer's portion of the 'Social Insecurity' extortion we have here?