Reasonable Cheap Or Expensive Food?

Hi all,

am looking for some input and would apprechiate some ralistic, real feedback

How would you judge the following prices - in a Bistro - comfortable seating - background music - beer and wine on sale

nothing fancy but comfy in Sukhumvit Thong Law area

Full english breakfast

2 Eggs scrambled + 2 Breakfast Sausages + Baked Beans + 2 slices of thick Toast + 3 rashers of the finest Bacon + a Glass of fresh Orange Juice and a Mug of Coffee or Tea THB 149.00

The light Breakfast

2 slices of thick Buttered Toast + Jam + a Cup of Coffee or Tea - THB 69.00

German Bratwurst with Potato Salad and Sauerkraut THB 119.00

Sausage Platter for two - 4 different sausages with Sauerkraut Potato Salad - French Fries - Coleslaw - THB 259.00

Roast Beef Sandwich on a large crispy bun with Horse reddish Sauce THB 109.00

Hungarian Goulash with real Potato Gnochi THB 149.00

200G pure Beef Burger with cheese and french fries and coleslaw THB 149.00 (cheese is real Gouda)

would be very grateful for any realistic input,

John

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

am looking for some input and would apprechiate some ralistic, real feedback

How would you judge the following prices - in a Bistro - comfortable seating - background music - beer and wine on sale

nothing fancy but comfy

Full english breakfast

2 Eggs scrambled + 2 Breakfast Sausages + Baked Beans + 2 slices of thick Toast + 3 rashers of the finest Bacon + a Glass of fresh Orange Juice and a Mug of Coffee or Tea THB 149.00

The light Breakfast

2 slices of thick Buttered Toast + Jam + a Cup of Coffee or Tea - THB 69.00

German Bratwurst with Potato Salad and Sauerkraut THB 119.00

Sausage Platter for two - 4 different sausages with Sauerkraut Potato Salad - French Fries - Coleslaw - THB 259.00

Roast Beef Sandwich on a large crispy bun with Horse reddish Sauce THB 109.00

Hungarian Goulash with real Potato Gnochi THB 149.00

would be very grateful for any realistic input,

John

Prices are ok for me, nearly.

But what a mixture: Sauerkraut, potato salad and french fries..............?

Why not fried potatoes with the sausages instead of potato salad?

When do you open your pace? and where?

Gerd

Prices are ok for me, nearly.

But what a mixture: Sauerkraut, potato salad and french fries..............?

Why not fried potatoes with the sausages instead of potato salad?

When do you open your pace? and where?

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

am currently considering, having my arm twisted to take over a coffeeshop in a large condo and bring in some really good food and sandwiches - its a middle to lower middle level with lots of westerners living there and in nearby condos as well - will place information on my website as soon as it is clear - probably looking at June 1st if I do it

I'm still working on the menu, that"s why I'm asking here .. I do not want to put any lower quality into the place .. they are gonna get the same high quality as the 5 star Hotels but since I'm the producer of most of the items, I can give obviously low prices

Thank you Jingthing for your response, that"s what I thought and am looking for to achieve

John

Sounds good to me John. I like to try new places and would definitely be a customer when I visit Bkk. Prices are competitive too. Whenever I order a "proper" breakfast like the one you list I always eat the toast with the eggs and bacon etc., then have to order a couple more slices to eat with the Marmalade or Jam. Am I the only person to do this?

I would have thought that you would need quite a high throughput of customers to make it commercially viable for you at those prices, but I think you know more about that than I do!

Whatever you decide, I wish you good fortune.

Cheers Rick

These prices look fine to me. Any chance of offering 2 fried eggs as an alternative to 2 scrambled eggs in the English breakfast?? I'd have no problem with paying 149 bt for this.

Looks like really good value if its quality stuff as you say. Especially for the Thorng Lor area. I would think I was getting a good deal at those prices.

I'd be wary about opening in a condo building though. No matter how big it is, it doesn't provide the foot traffic or visibility necessary so you'll have to market aggresively

if the breaki comes with Heinz baked beans, sounds good :o

what about the good old German breakfast with liverwurst and other cold cuts ? No Germans in that area ?

good luck anyway and will pay a visit next time in BKK

BTW what will be the beer prices ? or is it a Breakfast Club ? :D

Prices on everything look very reasonable.

The "full English" is 30 baht cheaper than the prices here in Udon at The Irish Clock or Mojo's, Udon's most popular breakfast places.

In fact, I think it would be a great idea to bring your restaurant concept up here to Udon. You guys down there in Bangkok are getting too spoiled. :D

Udon is growing, but not in the culinary aspects. :o

This is a new entertainment complex opening July 1: www.udondayandnight.com

Edited by maxjay

Whenever I order a "proper" breakfast like the one you list I always eat the toast with the eggs and bacon etc., then have to order a couple more slices to eat with the Marmalade or Jam. Am I the only person to do this?

Same for me. :o

Thank you all very much for your great feedback. Those were only a few of the items that are going to be on the menu of course + we are going to have weekly and daily specials. I'm also going to offer a real "Reuben" for 165.00 with the works!

I will decide this weekend if I'm going to go ahead. All the food will be prepared at our main kitchen, just like we do for our customers and send to the Bistro. I don't think there is a problem with potential customers due to the location and the many farang residents in the area.

Thanks again

John

p.s. Yes Seppl, we are going to have Beer on sale, initially bottled but when things shape up also draft - thinking of Tiger and St. Miguel and may be Chang. We are also going to have a reasonable Housewine red and white and some bottles.

The menu may change within 3 month's depending on the demand of our customers - there is going to be a suggestion box and I do listen to customers wishes as long as they are within reason and feasebility - but I will not change the quality of my produce since our main business will always be the supply to major Hotels

I must say, I'm quite exited about the whole thing small as it may be, but I'm going to be there whenever my time allows just to enjoy watching people enjoying their food :D

Our system of pre cooked vacuum packed food allowes me to run this place without the actual need of a trained Chef on site. Our staff will be trained by me for a week before opening - all they have to do is heat things up in the right way and assemble sandwiches or fry sausages and french fries - the manageres (wife) will be there every day - another plus :D will keep her busy and she has been trained by me for many ... many many years

Ulysses, I don't think that, having fnished this breakfast, you would be able to eat another slice of toast for the next 5 hours :o when I say toast I do not mean this styrophoam like stuff in plastic bags .. I mean real toast like one used to get many years ago in the UK.. thick slices - and if I can't get it from a bakery we will bake it ourselfs!

The prices look fine to me.

There are cheaper full English's around but they are mostly just that... cheap.

I'd imagine you'd be supplying quality bacon and sausages which would really make it a stand-out.

Hi,

we will use the same high quality bacon and Sausages that we supply to our 5star Hotel customers and sell at Villa, this accouns for all food items. As cheese we use imported EUROPEAN cheese like Gouda, Emmental etc..

The basic Idea is to "cut out the middle man" and being able to offer real quality at low prices. Since we produce all our food and charcuterie, sausages etc. ourself, we ar able to offer a high standard of quality at low prices and still make money,

John

Ulysses, I don't think that, having fnished this breakfast, you would be able to eat another slice of toast for the next 5 hours :o when I say toast I do not mean this styrophoam like stuff in plastic bags .. I mean real toast like one used to get many years ago in the UK.. thick slices - and if I can't get it from a bakery we will bake it ourselfs!

Sounds great and Bangkok does not have a lot of good breakfast places.

John,

Can I have my eggs over very light. Personally I would pass on the saugages but would like a grilled tomato. Although I am American I do like the tomato. In general I find cooks in Thailand cooks eggs with to much grease/oil and usually overcook eggs overlight or sunnyside. Wheat toast? Home fry potaoes cooked on the grill instead of fryalator?

Good Luck

John,

Can I have my eggs over very light. Personally I would pass on the saugages but would like a grilled tomato. Although I am American I do like the tomato. In general I find cooks in Thailand cooks eggs with to much grease/oil and usually overcook eggs overlight or sunnyside. Wheat toast? Home fry potaoes cooked on the grill instead of fryalator?

Good Luck

Hi rumrunner,

first I have to agree in your point of Thais sort of deep-frying the eggs which seems to be they way they like them - the worse case, when at a Thai breakfast buffet - they are cold and this does not seem to bother them ... yuk ... cold fried eggs

the menu is a work in progress and will reach a sort of finished state once the place has been open for a month. Grilled Tomatoes are going to be included in the full english. Homefries may be added as a choice a bit later.

In the full menu we offer 3 variations of potatoes - French Fries - Mashed Potatoe and Potatoe Salad - for example, the Cumberland sausage will come with Onion Gravy and mashed potatoe - the German Bratwurst with Potatoe salad - as they would be served in thier countries of origin. I would like to point out that my mashed potatoes are according to a number of customers "the very best" they have ever had - I do not restrain myself on the use of butter and cream and add a wee bit of Garlic during the cooking of the potatoes and than and most important, I do not use a machine to puree them, but a very large whisk and elbow grease until there are no lumps left. Last time I had to supply 50KG of mashed for a large party and I can tell you I was nackert after making them, but the result is worth it.

Eggs over easy - for reasons of practicallity. we have to fry the eggs on a flat fryer which will make the over easy part a bit difficult but make sure they will not be greasy - over easy in a small pan which one can tilt to spoon the hot butter over the egg would not be practical, at least in the beginning since we have no idea as yet of how many customers turn up - do they come in droves or in a slow trickle ..... this will determine how many staff will be required etc...

I have compiled the menu to put as little preasure (they don't have to think) on the staff as possible to make sure they don't screw up - although I'm sure there will be the odd screw up in the beginning :o the menu has pictures of every item so the staff should "in theory" know what needs to be made. The wife is going to be there every day or myself on days when I can spare some time, probably every Saturday though and anotherday during the week.

John

When you open I will drop by and sample the goods, as a former "grill man" in a long past life I have high breakfast standards. Have you thought of adding pancakes or Belgium waffles with or without fruit and whip cream.

Although not American my grandfather came from Leeds UK and I do like a bit of black pudding :o I see the Villa carries it but have not tried it.

When you open I will drop by and sample the goods, as a former "grill man" in a long past life I have high breakfast standards. Have you thought of adding pancakes or Belgium waffles with or without fruit and whip cream.

Although not American my grandfather came from Leeds UK and I do like a bit of black pudding :o I see the Villa carries it but have not tried it.

Hi rumurunner

those may come later but we will have Bread & Butter Pudding as a dersert or stand aone sweet on the menue since its my favorite desert as well as apple pie with a whiskey/vanilla sauce

John

Hi,

pleased to say that I have decided to go ahead with the Bistro. Will be placing a PDF menu file on the website soon. Official opening day will be the 2nd June 2008. Large it ain't exclusive .. nope ... but it will serve dam_n good food, and cold Beer - planning on St. Miguel, Chang draft (already there) and Tiger as well as House wine and a few bottles,

John

p.s. incase you wonder why we are opening on Monday the 2nd instead of Sunday the 1st .. the monks told the mrs. that the second will be a lucky day ... :o

Just saw this thread. Do you make and sell gnocchi John? If so, do you ship? I'm having a Lucca's deli moment here. mmmm. just like nona made...

Hi,

yep, handmade real potatoe Gnochi are one of our standard products made to order. I'm going to offer them in our Bistro with Goulash - I know its not a traditonal combination, but it is a perfect marriage and one may call it "Hungarian / Italian fusion" :o

John

p.s. in the Bistro we will of course also have a number of items for sale to take home like Gnochi in vacuum packs

Just a longshot John, but you don't make sciacciata by any chance, do you? It's almost too much to wish for.

Hi,

I know this as basically a pizza dough made as a flat bread indented all over the top and than topped with fennel seeds and sometimes raisons as well as Italian sausage or with sun-dried tomatoes anchovies ...... there are many varied toppings usually plenty of Olive oil

If that is what you mean, I'm planning to have a "Pizza bread" on offer which basically is the same just under a different name since most people wouldn't know what we are talking about. The toppings of course depend on what people are willig to pay, But since we anyway have Italian sausage on the menu, I may leave out the raisons but use tomatoes, sausages and Mozarella with some olives thrown in.....

John

Just a longshot John, but you don't make sciacciata by any chance, do you? It's almost too much to wish for.

Hi,

I know this as basically a pizza dough made as a flat bread indented all over the top and than topped with fennel seeds and sometimes raisons as well as Italian sausage or with sun-dried tomatoes anchovies ...... there are many varied toppings usually plenty of Olive oil

If that is what you mean, I'm planning to have a "Pizza bread" on offer which basically is the same just under a different name since most people wouldn't know what we are talking about. The toppings of course depend on what people are willig to pay, But since we anyway have Italian sausage on the menu, I may leave out the raisons but use tomatoes, sausages and Mozarella with some olives thrown in.....

John

That's it, similar to foccacia, but with herbs, olives, tomatoes (a tiny amount of sauce) olive oil and anchovies. Save the cheese and sausage for the pizza.