Kawsaki Klx 140l

Tony121

They have them (KLX 140L) at the Kawasaki shop on the northern moat road near the turnoff to go to the airport...

They are about 74,000

KSR - 54,000

KLX110 - 47,000

Edited by wjmark

If you want a quite small bike, have you considered the KSR? It can easily be turned into a 140, 160, 190, or 220cc bike!

I rented one on Koh Tao with big knobby tires (similar to the photo) - really fun. And for me (short, and an off-road beginner), I found it really easy - spray dirt all the way up hills, slide down the other side on the back wheel, do donuts!

I was lucky - staying at the bungalow next to me was a professional bike racer, and he taught me all sorts of off-road technique...

He called the KSR a 'pit bike' - I looked them up on the internet - quite a few manufacturers of that size range.

The KSR also has an auto-clutch. if you like that!.

There is also the tiny KLX110 (same auto-clutch 110cc engine as the KSR) - which I read on the net can easily be re-sprung for adult weight (if you want a REALLY small bike, that is).

I think I shall look for a beat up KSR, strap on another 30cc, put on some knobbies, and that should be fine for me!

Good luck

post-55564-1211322107_thumb.jpg

Edited by wjmark

UPDATE:

I tried a modified second-hand KLX110 today. Very quick, but very very small! It was owned by a full-sized Thai man!

I want a small dirt bike, but this was too tiny. So I will still look for a KSR, which I know is small, but still feels much more solid on the ground than the KLX110.

The KLX140 must be a great bike for a medium-sized dirt bike...

Edited by wjmark

If you want to go in the mountains and do jumps anything over 1ft ! the ksr isn't much good. but ok the sand tracks and road use. The klx 140 is well worth the extra money.

It has a clutch and 5 speed box, compared to the ksr 4 speed no clutch

Edited by Tony121

If you want to go in the mountains and do jumps anything over 1ft ! the ksr isn't much good. but ok the sand tracks and road use. The klx 140 is well worth the extra money.

It has a clutch and 5 speed box, compared to the ksr 4 speed no clutch

Being a 50 year old beginner dirt rider, I am not sure that I will be doing more than 1ft jumps!

On the KSR, I found it very easy to climb all over Koh Tao's mountain 4-wheel tracks - pretty rough terrain - steep hills, rocks, ruts, sand, , but no real jumps.

And actually, with the big knobby tires, the KSR did not feel very stable on concrete, but very comfortable off road...

But I want it for off-road only. And I felt so capable on the KSR - the times I have tried a bigger bike (eg. XR250), I get in trouble immediately - it is so dam_n tall, that I cannot do anything off-road on it. If I get in trouble, I just fall over - can't touch the dam_n ground with my feet! I know that short guys can ride big dirt-bikes, but that takes real technique - I don't have it.

On the KSR, I feel I have 'technique'. I could even do real donuts on it!

Maybe after some practice on the KSR, I will become so good that I will need a bigger bike! Then the KLX140 (not the "L"!!!) would be what I would look at.

Yes its a good bike to learn on you can buy the 125cc kit for thb 2500 also i changed the rear sprocket which made mine a lot easier to get up the hills

Thanks. I've been thinking about this a lot, and it does feel like the right bike for me. I don't mind not having the clutch, even though I do love clutches (I have a CBR150 - triple down-shifts going into hilly curves, fun!). But for the aggression I'm going to show, I don't really need the clutch - full throttle will be enough for me.

A 125cc for 2500 - perfect. PLEASE GIVE ME DETAILS!

I am amazed at the torque of even the stock 110.

I would come into a hill pretty fast in 1st, and keep the revs up, and shoot up most hills (kick up some nice dirt too - so much fun - noisy and dirty!). But my fat friend (and a real motorcycle beginner), had the same bike, and he would come up to the base of the hill slowly, and in 1st just crawl up at low revs. BUT IT DID IT! I was sure it would just die in places, but nope - straight up the hill - all 90kg of him - 2km/hr. Probably 1900rpm (sounded like about 900rpm)

So a 125, geared low (my top speed will never be more than 30-40k/hr) - it should zip me up anything!

Thanks for the affirmation! I did love it for the week I had it on Koh Tao, and it felt good on dirt in a way no other bike ever has, so (having blown the wad on the CBR and my beach holiday)...

I am looking for an cheap ugly beat-up KSR to equip with stupid tires (and 15 more cc's), and beat up further!

---

I live in Chiang Mai, and on my 150, I do about 500km a week in the great mountain roads around here. In the middle of the mountains I have found a place to leave a dirt-bike at the base of some trails. So in the middle of some great mountain road racing... take a dirt-bike break!

It's almost a triathlon I have planned - 15 minutes at 120km//hr on brand new super highway that is usually empty and has some great high speed turns. Then there is an hour of a medium speed great twisty mountain road (also newly paved and pretty empty). In the middle of that road, I would stop where I keep the KSR, make some noise and kick up some dirt.

Turn around and do it in reverse - go home...

My girlfriend is away for the year, so I have to keep busy and have lots of fun!

I already have one 'mia noi' to keep me company - she's all lovely and black and I'm giving her a racing CDI and exhaust next week. But this is Thailand, so I need a 'third wife' as well. Small, noisy, dirty - something you can really spin around! And then just lock to a fence 'till the next time...

you can get the 125 kit from a shop called thrive go to www.ksrthailand.com and click on the thrive banner. I have a beat up Ksr but its in samui. can also check the video my friend did on you tube search for kawasaki ksr and you should find it,

For tyres IRC are good don't get vee rubber they are awful, also a rear shock is a good investment thrive also has these, can also look at www.asianconceptthai.com. if you buy a green one you can put on the klx110 front mud guard (holes have to be altered slightly) this stops the mud getting in your face the original one does not really do a good job.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Kawasaki shop on Rama IX today. MCOT intersection, not far from Thonglor.

The KLX 140/140L will be available in November. Price about 70K/75K

The KLX 250/Dtracker will be available in September. Now they say the price will be no more than 170K.

Supposedly the KLX 250 will be available in green or red, and the Dtracker in black or yellow.

The Ninja 250 will be available in August, price 150,000.

They have all the above bikes on display.

The wait is getting the bikes engineered/tested/approved to pass emissions etc. so they can be registered.

• 3 weeks later...
Went to the Kawasaki shop on Rama IX today. MCOT intersection, not far from Thonglor.

The KLX 250/Dtracker will be available in September. Now they say the price will be no more than 170K.

Supposedly the KLX 250 will be available in green or red, and the Dtracker in black or yellow.

The wait is getting the bikes engineered/tested/approved to pass emissions etc. so they can be registered.

Im interesting in buying the new Ninja 250R . . but the price couldent be over 100 000b. . cant be higher then on the USA market.

Im interesting in buying the new Ninja 250R . . but the price couldent be over 100 000b. . cant be higher then on the USA market.

Why not ?? Almost every other big bike is.. Often by 50% or more (Duci 696 8700 USD to 540k baht.. FZ6 6500 USD to 447k baht)..

From what I have read expect 150 - 160 on road pricing.

• 11 months later...