Registering My Motorbike In Bangkok?

Speedy

Alohaa! Got my motorbike 5 months ago, and have been happily driving around ever since in polluted Bangkok. Now the motorbike tax sticker is expired, and I would like to buy a new one, from MORCHIT vehicle tax dpt. Went there but they wouldn t help me, needed to register the motorbike first in my name they told me ...

THAIVISA wrote somewhere that you only need a NON IMM B and work permit for registring a motorbike or car in your name. Well, I went to the immigration office, and I was sent to all floors, only to return home empty handed. They said i needed to live in Thailand for three months on this NON IMM B before they could start the paperwork....

I have got a NON IMM B, and a proof of residence... and in a couple of weeks my WP... Any suggestions how to tackle this?

I dunno whattodo! Anybody has been through this succesfully?

Speedy

Alohaa! Got my motorbike 5 months ago, and have been happily driving around ever since in polluted Bangkok. Now the motorbike tax sticker is expired, and I would like to buy a new one, from MORCHIT vehicle tax dpt. Went there but they wouldn t help me, needed to register the motorbike first in my name they told me ...

That is a new one.

There are quite a few "Lod Phi" around where the current owner is not the one in the book,

for various reasons, not theft!!

The old owner left in a hurry, etc.

How did they know your are not the owner?

Normally I just fill in the form, hand over the book, new insurance receipt and the money, and within a 20 minutes it is all done.

If it is a Thai name, just ask a Thai friend to get the new tax sticker for you.

Changing the owner later is more difficult.

Do you still have contact with the previous owner, as you need him to sign the reg'n book,

and provide a copy of his id card and household registration if he is Thai,

or passport and address confirmation from immigration.

You will need the same.

Then you need a current 3rd party insurance (Tor Ror Bor) sticker and receipt slip.

Hi

i hope this reaches you even there r so many new posts daily i almost couldn't find mine after a week...

i do not have the time to read all links and answers...but i changed name and registred (changed licence plates from chonburi to bangkok) my motorcycle on my name with tourist visa! when i called morchit they asked for work permit, but when i went there with all papers it was no problem, beside the language, noone spoke english but my thai is sufficent.

so in chonburi i changed the name including vehicule check for 380 baht within an hour. needed passport and visa copy from previous farang owner and 2 signatures on form (or id card copy and house paper copy and 2 signatures on form from thia owner) then i went to morchit with green book in my name already to apply for bkk plate. i had to wait for about 2 weeks to collect it finally, return the chonburi one (would have been nice souvenir do). i even could choose the number on the plate (lucky numbers)! including another vehicule check (5 baht moto, a bit more for car) i paid 120 baht. finish!

i had to bring a copy (and show the original, but not give) a letter from my embassy about my living place even they can not verify and say so, that cost a thefty 1240 baht or so at swiss embassy. so i could use the same letter for other purpose for example to do the thai car and bike driver licence (that embassy letter not older than 3 months) but here no chance without non immigrant "b" "o" or work permit! i tried twice, no bribes either! actually i just wanted to extend the licences but no chances with tourist visa! i know, i got international licence aswell but the thai thing cost 150 or if u got one already (car) another 55 baht for bike, looks cool, can be issued for 5 years now and it is quite usefull soemtimes and much smaller to carry than the international licence book.

you can buy new tax sticker even the green book is not in your name as i just did for a friend in pattaya, i did it on the post office same as for my own bike in bangkok.

it cost 100baht plus some 35 and if its overdue a 20baht fine.

they even sold me the virija insurance at the post office for my friends bike! my own is 650 baht (bike 650cc). in case of accident they pay you up to 15'000baht for hospital (they do as sample of my friends accident), that insurance is compulsary, good deal. and for a low cc bike it cost 323 baht. it covers only damage to people not others property or your own vehicule and low limit. for an additoional 1500 baht i did a 3rd party insurance which covers also scratches and damage at other cars and property and higher amount iof cash for involved poeple.

the compulsay insurance cost at all companies the same amount. you have to put a sticker to bike as well.

• 2 years later...

This is a little bit off topic, but did a search on Morchit and Registration and landed here...

I bought a Harley Davidson MC with Invoice only. Have done so in the past with other bikes, but this one, I would like to ride down South sometime, so I should probalby get proper registration and plates?

Someone told me that I could do it at Morchit myself. Anyone have good experiences with doing it on their own? If so, please post adress for Morchit Motor Vehicle Department and maybe a phone number. I'm in Chiang Dao (Chiang Mai Province) and would like to make sure that I have everything I need before heading down there.

Thanks