How To Become A City In Thailand?

maopuks

there needs to be a minium of 50,000 registered people living there. ( thai People )

Google ' Koh Samui City Status ' and you will find lots to read on, as they have been trying for 3 years now

Guys, I am new here. Just wondering how can an area in thailand acquire city status?can you site some links that could help? thanks!!!!! :o

If you mean Moo Baan .. I think it's a 10 or 20 family "agreement". Go to the Umphur office with someone fluent in Thai and they should have that information.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys, I am new here. Just wondering how can an area in thailand acquire city status?

Do you mean the actual city status (thesaban nakhon, เทศบาลนคร), or more generally any of the three level of municipal status, as there's also thesaban mueang (เทศบาลเมือง, usually translated town) and thesaban tambon (เทศบาลตำบล, subdistrict municipality). For each of these levels it has a some minimum requirements in terms of population number and tax income, as well as the approval of the inhabitants. Originally it also had a requirement on the population density, but it seems this has been dropped.

There are sadly not many English websites on the topic, you can of course start with the Wikipedia article on Thesaban, which however is still quite short. I am also trying to cover the administrative entities in my blog, and the local administration is currently the most active topic.