Prachuab Kiri Kahn Town And Surrounds

jitagon

its a one horse town , very quiet , situated on a spectacular bay. little to do there in the way of nightlife , no 'farang type' facilities . no western food , no highrise , no fancy restaurants , streets of wooden houses , very characterful and laid back , modernisation seems to have passed it by which is one of its attractions.

some military camps around there.

its close to sam roi yordt national park and some long deserted stretches of coastline to the north and to the south.

its about 20 minutes drive to the burmese border at dan singhorn , small (mainly orchids and other plants) market there but you cant cross over into burma.

its about an hours drive south of hua hin and we sometimes drive down to explore the countryside around there and have lunch on the beach or on the seafront in the town.

i think its a beautiful and as yet unspoilt area , but as the road south is improved the area becomes more accessible to weekenders from bkk etc. (who are buying up land there waiting for the boom that will surely hit that area within the next few years)

definately worth a making a trip for a few days to have a look around.

Edited by taxexile

. no western food

Our group stopped in to the Haad Thong Hotel dining room yesterday .. specifically for the burgers and fries. 1 farang .. 8 Thais .. 0 complaints.

IMHO, the best bay is not the one that fronts the city, but the one accessible from the Royal Thai Air Force base (Ao Manao). The AF base also has a guest house that was open to the public when I visited a few years back.

When I was there trying to find a house to rent near the sea, I had no luck. Hopefully, yours will be better.

You might also look around Thapsakae and Ban Krut .. although if the steel smelter is ever built near Bangsaphan, it may be off-putting.

Also, the Dansingkorn border settlement has a nice new restaurant, a very large furniture shop and a gem/jewelry shop

Thankyou both for your replies. After Phuket, sounds like paradise. I don't go to farang restaurants here, so there being none there would be no problem. I cook and eat Thai food only. The chillies, limes and garlic are the best way for your body to deal with the heat, not to mention I love it! But understand that this may be a big minus for a lot of farang. Also I loathe shopping (jaded) and the absence of any 'malls' again sounds good to me.

The reason I posted was that not one farang I'd spoken to had ever heard of it, apart from a couple of backpackers passing through, so that was another plus for me, again, after Phuket. And was wondering about the possibility of renting something before building another house. Again, Thai house/shed okay for me for the time being. Thanks for your input.

About two years ago my (Thai) wife and I surveyed Prachuab, with the idea of renting a house and living there. We actually found quite a number of houses for rent, inexpensive (around Baht 4-6k), with reasonable facilities, but not in the immediate beach area. Some were townhouses in the market area, and some were bungalows on small housing estates a few minutes back from the beach. Take a car and drive around; I'm sure you will find some places available. During the 3-4 days we were there we saw only one other farang, a young backpacker from Denmark.

We liked Prachuab a lot, and the only reason we didn't rent there was to do with the fact that we have to go to Bangkok every 2-3 weeks, and the journey was not appealing. Consequently we then rented in HH for a year, but didn't like it for almost the exact same reasons you cite. We are now settled in Central Thailand, well away from the tourists.

About two years ago my (Thai) wife and I surveyed Prachuab, with the idea of renting a house and living there. We actually found quite a number of houses for rent, inexpensive (around Baht 4-6k), with reasonable facilities, but not in the immediate beach area. Some were townhouses in the market area, and some were bungalows on small housing estates a few minutes back from the beach. Take a car and drive around; I'm sure you will find some places available. During the 3-4 days we were there we saw only one other farang, a young backpacker from Denmark.

We liked Prachuab a lot, and the only reason we didn't rent there was to do with the fact that we have to go to Bangkok every 2-3 weeks, and the journey was not appealing. Consequently we then rented in HH for a year, but didn't like it for almost the exact same reasons you cite. We are now settled in Central Thailand, well away from the tourists.

Thanks, but housing estates definitely out of the question, even for a short spell! Idea of driving around better.

I read that Prachuab has nine trains per day to Bangkok, that was another plus as far as I was concerned, country to city in 3-4 hours? Better than having to schlep up to the airport to get anywhere here on Phuket. Everything such a long way away. Unless you want more of the same kind of countryside up in Phang Nga or Krabi (you can forget Kao Lak now :D Why was the journey so unappealing? I don't mind roughing it in first class, or what passes for it here :o Better than first class in the Uk now anyway.

From Hua Hin to Prachuab, the train takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours and stops a lot. It's about a six hour train ride to BKK. Better to take a bus from Prach. to HH, then a mini-van from there. Much faster! Prachuab is a great town, my wife is from Thap Sakae and we own property in the area. Some day we might move down there, but HH is fine for now.

Many of my Thai friends have bought hundreds of rai in Thap sakae and Bang Krut. They're waiting to sell it to Bangkokians who just know government officials will buy it to launder their money and get in on the "Nordic invasion". Lot of land down there and almost no services. Chok Dee!

Many of my Thai friends have bought hundreds of rai in Thap sakae and Bang Krut. They're waiting to sell it to Bangkokians who just know government officials will buy it to launder their money and get in on the "Nordic invasion". Lot of land down there and almost no services. Chok Dee!

Being a local politician in Thap Sakae himself, my father-in-law would be shocked to hear of graft and corruption in connection with land development in the area! It just isn't possible!

Being a local politician in Thap Sakae himself, my father-in-law would be shocked to hear of graft and corruption in connection with land development in the area! It just isn't possible!

I didn't say or suggest that is where the corrupt government officials are from. I was referring to national government, but as I said it's my friend's theory, not mine.

I was just trying to be helpful.

Perhaps I selected an inappropriate form of wording when I referred to "housing estates." In Thai I would have said หมู่บ้าน, but most people have no idea what this means.

And by dint of further explanation, our trips to Bangkok are for medical attention, and the particular doctor is only available for private patients in the evening. We usually leave the hospital between 8:00pm and 9:00pm, which is not the best time to be embarking upon a 4-6 hour train journey, first class or otherwise (and I am not from the UK).

I was just trying to be helpful.

Perhaps I selected an inappropriate form of wording when I referred to "housing estates." In Thai I would have said หมู่บ้าน, but most people have no idea what this means.

And by dint of further explanation, our trips to Bangkok are for medical attention, and the particular doctor is only available for private patients in the evening. We usually leave the hospital between 8:00pm and 9:00pm, which is not the best time to be embarking upon a 4-6 hour train journey, first class or otherwise (and I am not from the UK).

Sorry JustWilliam, didn't mean to come over critical of your post, but the words 'housing' and 'estates' brought up pictures of Milton Keynes, or Basildon in the UK :o (apologies to anyone who comes from those parts :D ). I think we all know what a moo baan is (little villages), but unless you happen to live in one of the larger cities, that's most of Thailand anyway! Bit peeved re info given from at least three separate sources re train taking only 3-4 hours, but here on Phuket, it takes you at least that to get up to the airport, wait around for your flight to eventually take off (particularly if it's a budget one) and then get a taxi into Bangkok City anyway. As for services, wot no ADSL?

If the train from the south arrives in Prachuap three hours late, and takes three or four more hours to get to Bangkok.....

I have paid for a northbound train in Hua Hin and it arrived in Hua Hin....I forget....three or four hours late. And - maybe the road was under construction - have had it arrive from BKK to Hua Hin an hour or so late.

I abhor air travel for many of the same reasons you do, but the BKK southbound train was slooow, and the northbound train to BKK was even slower.

If the train from the south arrives in Prachuap three hours late, and takes three or four more hours to get to Bangkok.....

I have paid for a northbound train in Hua Hin and it arrived in Hua Hin....I forget....three or four hours late. And - maybe the road was under construction - have had it arrive from BKK to Hua Hin an hour or so late.

I abhor air travel for many of the same reasons you do, but the BKK southbound train was slooow, and the northbound train to BKK was even slower.

And the site said they're are NINE trains daily? How can that be if they're all 3 to 4 hours late :o ?

Thankyou both for your replies. After Phuket, sounds like paradise. I don't go to farang restaurants here, so there being none there would be no problem. I cook and eat Thai food only. The chillies, limes and garlic are the best way for your body to deal with the heat, not to mention I love it! But understand that this may be a big minus for a lot of farang. Also I loathe shopping (jaded) and the absence of any 'malls' again sounds good to me.

The reason I posted was that not one farang I'd spoken to had ever heard of it, apart from a couple of backpackers passing through, so that was another plus for me, again, after Phuket. And was wondering about the possibility of renting something before building another house. Again, Thai house/shed okay for me for the time being. Thanks for your input.

When you go, check out the area past the AF base .. Waco beach area .. yes, I always grin when I see that sign. Prachuap has a pretty compact "center" .. nice market area, train station is in town. There is a Thai style hotel just north, and on the same road as the HadThong .. okay and a lot cheaper.

The guest house inside the AF base is also a pretty good place to stay .. restaurant, private beach. If you play golf, there is a dink little 9 hole course where you can pay 1 gf and play until you drop.

Prachuap is worth a hard look unless your're a Phuket/Pattayta lover.:o

From Hua Hin to Prachuab, the train takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours and stops a lot.

That seems like a long time. It's only 100 km. Always look for the "sprinter".

I've taken the sprinter from Ban Krut (~ 385 km) to BKK and return a few times. Once was very slow .. northbound .. 8 hours. Southbound, I remember 6 hours once. Sprinter is aircon, soft seats and serves snacks.

Bus is faster, train is safer.

When you go, check out the area past the AF base .. Waco beach area .. yes, I always grin when I see that sign. Prachuap has a pretty compact "center" .. nice market area, train station is in town. There is a Thai style hotel just north, and on the same road as the HadThong .. okay and a lot cheaper.

The guest house inside the AF base is also a pretty good place to stay .. restaurant, private beach. If you play golf, there is a dink little 9 hole course where you can pay 1 gf and play until you drop.

Prachuap is worth a hard look unless your're a Phuket/Pattayta lover.:o

I'm not. The way Phuket's gone over the past few years, that's one of the very good reasons for leaving it to the dross who do.

Prachuap is nice and has beautiful views. Beaches are not that great except Ao Manoa, but not really good for swimming (very shallow) and inside a military area. Renting there is very difficult.

A little more south you will have Thap Sakao, Ban Krut (good swimming), Ban Saphan. All nice and 'thai'.

In Ban Krut you will have a nice bungalow from 5000 baht to around 10-15.000 close to the beach.

Ban Saphan. All nice and 'thai'.

All except the steel plant and the beach closest top town. The steel plant creates lots of heavy truck traffic and needs a deep-water port. The deep-water port creates a lot of dirty water that affects the beaches. Going in the water is certainly not recommended at Ban Chai Talay.

Bang Saphan Yai is the beach just south of town (6 - 8 km) .. has a few bungalows and Coral Resort (largish French oriented resort). Beach is just so-so .. and heavy muslim influence (we could not get any pork appetizers at the "Why Not" beachside bistro).

I was convinced that I would retire there. The bay is beautiful and I have long ago gotten over the night life scene. You have deserted beaches, mountains and waterfalls are just a short drive away.

Unfortunately my wife is a farm girl and we ended up out in the boonies of Loei province. We have beautiful mountain scenery but I do miss the beach.