Tractor Advice

Wife & myself grow about 100 or so rais of cassava and need a decent tractor ( 100 HP + ) for sub soiling, plowing and harrowing.

Out here we could get a Kubota M105S , 105 horse power.

A John Deere 6603 MFWD 121 horse power or a 6615 at 130 horse power.

Monetary issues aside, does anyone have " on hand " experience with any of this tractors ?

Any information is much appreciated !

Thanks

If you are going to use it for a utility tractor also, you should take a look at how you change from forward to reverse. I'm not a hundred percent sure but I think the John Deere has a synchro shift on the steering column. Forward to reverse with a flick of the wrist. I don't thing Kubota has that feature. If it's straight ahead most of the time it may not matter but if you are going to be using a dozer blade or an implement that requires you to change direction often you will find the synchro shift great.

Wife & myself grow about 100 or so rais of cassava and need a decent tractor ( 100 HP + ) for sub soiling, plowing and harrowing.

Out here we could get a Kubota M105S , 105 horse power.

A John Deere 6603 MFWD 121 horse power or a 6615 at 130 horse power.

Monetary issues aside, does anyone have " on hand " experience with any of this tractors ?

Any information is much appreciated !

Thanks

You are right ! Thanks

I have used 2 JD with synchro shift. One was 46+- hp and the other 185+- hp and its the great to work with. Both tractors had front end loader and the bigger one we changed to a dozer blade when needed. For packing and moving material especialy, its a time saver as well as making the job much better for the operator. The larger tractor had over 8000 hours with no problems of any kind. You may pay more for the JD but over a long life you will get that up front money, back in savings on repairs. With quality of fuel here you may want to get several spare fuel filters. You know its time to change when you see white discharge from exhaust.

I bought a Kubota M5000 a couple of years ago - to work mainly in rice fields so didn't need the heavier model. I also looked at the John Deer models, at that time they were being made in India and seemed to be poor quality with basic engineering.

Kubota also have a better network in Thailand with good spare parts availability and service support.

The forward-reverse lever is located beside the seat, I don't find it a problem.

I bought a Kubota M5000 a couple of years ago - to work mainly in rice fields so didn't need the heavier model. I also looked at the John Deer models, at that time they were being made in India and seemed to be poor quality with basic engineering.

Kubota also have a better network in Thailand with good spare parts availability and service support.

The forward-reverse lever is located beside the seat, I don't find it a problem.

Different JD models are made in different countries. I am quite sure these two are made in Brazil.\

I think its a tough decision you have to make.

Buy an expensive JD with "good reputation"

Or go for the Kubota?

My personal opinion is that these days they make tractors like house fans & toaster machines.........to only last few years before falling to bits.............not like the good old models.

SAP

The price difference between Kubota & the JD'S is around 400.000.00 B

Mechanically they're all suited, with the JD'S a little more sophisticated.

The Kubota’s, definitely more serviceable, lately everybody seems to have gotten one !

Service in the field during the warranty period.

The Kubota dealer in Buriram City, said: will come only when schedule permits. ( Meaning, forget about it )

All the John Deere dealers I asked said : Immediate or next day.

And so on, haven’t decided yet.

Thanks to the posters

• 2 weeks later...

I thought there has to be some viable alternatives to just Kubota and John Deer ?

I found out that good old Massey Ferguson tractors are assembled in Pakistan

and exported around the world. The 50 horse power is only 8500 USD.

I e-mailed them and they have assured me about

availability of spare parts. even without the disadvantage of service support

in Thailand I regard this is counterbalanced to some extent by the sturdiness

of MF compared to Kubota ? any thoughts ?

I thought there has to be some viable alternatives to just Kubota and John Deer ?

I see second hand Ford tractors everywhere. When traveling I see Kubota, John Deere and Yanmar dealers but NO Massey dealers. If I need a part for my little Yanmar, even Loei has two dealers. So if you have a break down and need a minor part, where would you get it?

I see second hand Ford tractors everywhere. When traveling I see Kubota, John Deere and Yanmar dealers but NO Massey dealers. If I need a part for my little Yanmar, even Loei has two dealers. So if you have a break down and need a minor part, where would you get it?

I hadnt thought about Ford ! Where have you seen the 2nd hand ones ?

I know the repair and spare parts issue with MF does worry me !

I hadnt thought about Ford ! Where have you seen the 2nd hand ones ?

I know the repair and spare parts issue with MF does worry me !

Every medium size town has used Ford tractor dealers. I never thought much about Ford tractors but since I have been here and especially up country I have developed a huge amount of respect for those tough work horses. They are well used and very abused and they just keep going. I have no idea how many of the 6000 series Ford tractors were built but Thailand MUST now have a huge percentage of them.

Here is a copy of a post by Maisefarmer that I kept:

I"d go so far as to say - for anything above 50 & 70 rai, you are not going to get by with anything less than a Ford 6610

(Thailands most common large tractor).

Firstly the fuel argument is not valid with respect to ploughing. Let me explain: I have 3 tractors, the largest is a 260hp New Holland. In ploughing it uses LESS fuel than a 95hp - 100hp Ford 6610 or 7610. Why? - because it pulls much larger plough and will plough 100 rai in less than a quater of the time that it will take a 6610 or 7610 to do. The argument is even more exponential when the comparison is made with say a 30hp - 40hp Kubota, Yanmar or similar. It will take me about a day to plough that (depending on how deep I set the plough) - it will take a 30hp - 40hp tractor about 4 days. This is primarily because the smaller unit will only be able to pull a disc plough with a width of about 1meter max, and at a speed of about 50% of the larger tractor. As well, you will be depth restricted. This will be huge limitation on a field that has not being plough for a couple years or so. It will then become problem after year 3 or so - because the depth restriction will now limited soil turnover/mixing and a bedpan will be estblished (a hardsurface becomes established at a shallow depth about 20cm - 25cm below the surface - this been pretty much the max depth to which you will be able to plough each year).

However - time factor and other issues raised above, are only part of the story: you now have to look at wear and tear on the plough and the tractor. For every 500hrs on a 85hp -100hp Ford 6610 - 7610 spent ploughing, one will be spending a 1000 - 1500 hrs on a 30hp - 40hp tractor Kubota or Yanmar. This 200% - 300% increase in tractor and plough hours is going to significantly impact maintanance costs, and labour.

Ultimately there will be no savings - in fact, it"s my experiance it will be a false economy to attempt to save money on a cheaper/smaller tractor for the land sizes you are considering. Belive me - I"m speaking with nearly 2 decades as a farmer, and as a ag. engineer by profession.

So whats the issue with buying a 2nd hand/used Ford 6610 or 7610 (Thailands 2 most common ag workhorses)?

The golden rule is - do your homework and select carefully - I"ll be happy to answer any questions you have regards any particular tractor you are looking at. Yes, it is partly an issue of cost, but it is as much an issue of knowing what to ask and what to look for in making a choice.

The average Ford 6610 - 7610 in Thailand is well worked and quite old. But look it at it like this: the fact that they are still going is down to 3 factors:

- they are well built to start with.

- parts avalibility is excellent (doesn"t matter what breaks, you can get parts for it ANYWHERE in the country, 99% of the time tover the counter)

- parts are cheap and they are easy machines to work on.

For the size of land you are planning to work, I strongly reccomend you get a Ford 6610 or 7610 - and best off if it"s a 4 wheel drive with a Carrilo front axle (as opposed to the ZF f/axles) - and in ploughing, make sure the hydraulics work as they should (this is the biggest wear and tear issue in Thai maintained tractors).

Rear diffs and trans-axles are seldom a problem. The gearboxes are solid to say the least (6610 - 7610 gearboxes are about 80% over-engineered - good for 160hp-180hp). Engine blocks last for ever - worst case scenario, new liners and Kolbenschimdt pistons. Fuel pumps last forever. Steering racks and drop bars do wear out (because they are not maintained) ditto ... hydraulic pumps and transfer boxes (for front wheel drive) - get underslung mounted transfer box - not bolt - on side mounted box (indication of later mod from 2 wheel drive) ... and there are a load of other minor points, but those are the main things.

Generally the Fords are much larger and heavier machines. Some even come with air-conditioned cabins.

The fuel usage would be a major factor to consider.

If you buy a used Ford on time payment you won't get the low interest rates that you can get on a brand new Kubota.

We bought a Kubota because that's what my BIL's wanted and they are doing the driving.

They like everything Japanese for some reason? Toyota, Honda, :o:D:D

They are very happy with the Kubota, although I favoured the Ford due to parts availability and the extra power.

I tried to find Maisefarmer's posts but his name is missing from the members list, as well as his posts ..

The last I heard he was assembling his new feed factory. Must be too busy for TV now?

I tried to find Maisefarmer's posts but his name is missing from the members list, as well as his posts ..

The last I heard he was assembling his new feed factory. Must be too busy for TV now?

A very useful re-post. The original poster (an extremely knowledgeble member) spells his name (correctly) as Maizefarmer. His profile and posts are still active/available.

Rgds

Khonwan

xerostar; The post you have saved needs to to verfied as to accuracy. Doubt that the referenced New Holland is 260 HP, If so it sure would not use less fuel in plowing 50 to 70 rai vs a 6610. HP used as a reference on all models seems high, but maybe the tractors have been souped up for tractor pulls (kidding). If you do some research on various tractors you find that parts are interchangeable in some cases. Recent example on this forum was a 4600 useing same engine parts as the larger model Ford. I used to laugh at the farmers proclaiming the tractor they drove would beat any other make on pulling a plow, paint lasting longer, and ride was smoother. This was before cabs and air-con. Didnt make a bit of difference as they all seemed to finish their field work and put in the next years crop, and it was still dusty and hot even under the umbrella.

Hi

Would anyone happen to know of any dealers or sources for second hand FORD tractors in Thailand.

I received the following email from Mitalai in Bangkok as they were the only ones on the internet that

were offering Ford before ?

We no longer deal with 2nd hand Ford tractors. We only have brand new New Holland tractors.

NH AT6610/2WD (Assembled in Thailand) 90HP is around 900,000 Baht

NH AT6610/4WD (Assm. in Thailand) 90 HP is around 1,030,000 Baht

NH TS90/4WD (From Brazil) 90 HP is around 1,230,000 Baht

Hi

Would anyone happen to know of any dealers or sources for second hand FORD tractors in Thailand.

You may like to try this auctioners: http://www.jssr.co.th/ they often have 2nd Ford tractors for autcion

Thanks very much pnustedt ! yes they have a few 6610's coming up this month.

They are mainly in the 1984 -1986 range ( one is 1987). The results page shows

a range of 350000 - 400000. That is very interesting because it is actually equal to

the price of a brand new MASSEY FERGUSON tractor assembled in Pakistan.

I know people in this thread have referred to the ease of getting spare parts and

repairs for FORD but isnt 400000 a lot to pay for a 22 -24 year old machine ? :o

Thanks Billd766

Silly me - all along I was looking for a MALE Maizefarmer!

- apparently he is of neither gender. :o

Apparently he does not take kindly to filling in forms ... :D

Hi xerostar

As Maizefarmer seems not to have posted for a while perhaps the mods neutered him. :D