Windows Home Server - Availability

Tewkes

Guest Reimar

Windows Home Server isn't sell as Software or better: OS but as a complete system: Hardware and Software. HP is one of the OEM who sell them.

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply. Was under the impression its was available under the usual Microsoft OEM terms as in if you bought a motherboard etc. from a supplier etc they could also sell you the software. Guess not.

Guest Reimar
Thanks for the quick reply. Was under the impression its was available under the usual Microsoft OEM terms as in if you bought a motherboard etc. from a supplier etc they could also sell you the software. Guess not.

Only as a complete system via some few OEM's while HP may is the biggest one of them.

By the way, Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003 Small Business.

Cheers.

Only as a complete system via some few OEM's while HP may is the biggest one of them.

If that is true, then why can you order a 120-day trial of Home Server directly from Microsoft?

To install the Windows Home Server 120-Day Evaluation Kit, you need:

• Computer with 1 GHz Pentium III (or equivalent) or faster processor
  • 512 MB of RAM or more
  • 70 GB or larger ATA, SATA, or SCSI hard drive as the primary hard drive and any number of additional hard drives of any size
  • DVD drive—your home server must be capable of booting from this drive
  • VGA or higher-resolution monitor for software installation
  • Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device (needed only during initial home server software installation)
  • 100 Mbps or faster Ethernet network interface card

While some hardware manufacturers have developed dedicated boxes, Microsoft has also released Windows Home Server to enthusiasts via the usual OEM/System Builder route. Pricing has varied amongst resellers, from around US$150 to US$200. Reference

Edited by Rice_King

Windows Home Server isn't sell as Software or better: OS but as a complete system: Hardware and Software. HP is one of the OEM who sell them.

Cheers.

STIMMT NICHT!! Not accurate. I took part in the BETA testing and then ordered and received the Software only, without any hardware or problems and not based on the BETA test participation. Must have been the first one in Thailand. It can be ordered within Thailand.

Mouse tells the truth. You can order it as an OEM. Of course, you get no support from Microsoft, and technically you have to purchase hardware with it, but as long as it's a bag of screws you're in compliance.

**edit**

Removed multiple instances of a word.

Edited by dave_boo

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

STIMMT NICHT!! Not accurate. I took part in the BETA testing and then ordered and received the Software only, without any hardware or problems and not based on the BETA test participation. Must have been the first one in Thailand. It can be ordered within Thailand.

My dear friend, hopefully your mouth isn't that big as your letters! And why you didn't sized and highlighted the next two word also?

To be precise, you get Home Server also as contents of the Action Pack for which you need to pay a yearly fee! And as Beta Tester for sure.

But you better think about the normal user's and not about that with special privilegs!

Guest Reimar
Mouse tells the truth. You can order it as an OEM. Of course, you get no support from Microsoft, and technically you have to purchase hardware with it, but as long as it's a bag of screws you're in compliance.

**edit**

Removed multiple instances of a word.

OK, let it make clear:

1.: you can get the OS Home Server as OEM Version only and according to the contracts Microsoft has with it's OEM suppliers with bundled hardware only!

""This is just according to existing contracts under existing law, while the reality can be different but if so than that's against existing law!""

2.: Beta Tester, who was testing the Home Server could buy them legally without Hardware bundle.

3.: Members of TechNet and also having sign up for the Action Packs, could and get the Home Server with the Action Pack together.

A "pack of screws" isn't enough because the contracts MS has with it's OEM's stating clearly which Hardware could be bundled with Home Server.

To get to know with is a legal purchase, I suggest to contact Microsoft Sales and Service to get the required Information.

Guest Reimar
Windows Home Server OEM is available mail order from all the usual suspects here in the UK. Costs £80-100. Also available from Newegg in the US for 160 bucks with no qualifying hardware purchase.

I get nearly every day some E-Mail with offers for all new Software and all claiming to be legal. That includes all types of MS software as well.

I contacted Microsoft Thailand a few weeks ago about Home Server and they was telling me that beside of that Version I had got with the Action Pack together we need to buy the rquired Hardware together with the OS from HP for example.

And as far as I know, Microsoft didn't has renewed the existing contracts.

That's why I wrote in the other post, to be sure, you need to check with Microsoft.

Cheers.

Windows Home Server OEM is available mail order from all the usual suspects here in the UK. Costs £80-100. Also available from Newegg in the US for 160 bucks with no qualifying hardware purchase.

I get nearly every day some E-Mail with offers for all new Software and all claiming to be legal. That includes all types of MS software as well.

I contacted Microsoft Thailand a few weeks ago about Home Server and they was telling me that beside of that Version I had got with the Action Pack together we need to buy the rquired Hardware together with the OS from HP for example.

And as far as I know, Microsoft didn't has renewed the existing contracts.

That's why I wrote in the other post, to be sure, you need to check with Microsoft.

Cheers.

The companies that I'm talking about are all legitimate companies. Newegg has online sales of $1 billion+. I'm sure that Microsoft know that Newegg are selling Home Server OEM without accompanying hardware. Presumably if Microsoft was concerned about it they'd injuct Newegg to stop them doing it.

Guest Reimar
The companies that I'm talking about are all legitimate companies. Newegg has online sales of $1 billion+. I'm sure that Microsoft know that Newegg are selling Home Server OEM without accompanying hardware. Presumably if Microsoft was concerned about it they'd injuct Newegg to stop them doing it.

May a different Country a different contract?!

Special MS has it's own special way to do business in different countries. Just as example: You can't buy a boxed Version of the FS-X in Thailand and it's even against the MS-Law to sell them here!

I contacted MS about the purchase of an boxed version in TH and the answer was that MS didn't sell that in Thailand. I told that I would order from the USA and the answer: That's not allowed because it must be an SE Asian Version which MS didn't produce.

From my point of view stupid to do so but that's MS!

So I'm not wonder if there different contracts exist about the Home Server.

Cheers.

Cheers.

My dear friend, hopefully your mouth isn't that big as your letters! And why you didn't sized and highlighted the next two word also?

To be precise, you get Home Server also as contents of the Action Pack for which you need to pay a yearly fee! And as Beta Tester for sure.

But you better think about the normal user's and not about that with special privilegs!

Sometimes it seems too difficult to argue with people, that carry the burden of knowing everything. Therefore, I must admit OK I am a liar, never bought software in Thailand, do not even own this particular software and it isn't at this very moment running on my network. Heck, I have to check maybe the network does not even exist. Oh and I did not declare that I was a BETA tester when I (didn't) purchase the software. Enough said!

Guest Reimar
Sometimes it seems too difficult to argue with people, that carry the burden of knowing everything. Therefore, I must admit OK I am a liar, never bought software in Thailand, do not even own this particular software and it isn't at this very moment running on my network. Heck, I have to check maybe the network does not even exist. Oh and I did not declare that I was a BETA tester when I (didn't) purchase the software. Enough said!

May is much more difficult to argue with those people which carries the burden to be a liar and even known that very well as admitted. And it's much more difficult to to seperate what's the lie and which the truth.