i intended to post an article regarding an intro to tantric sex

i found the article interesting and just wanted to share it

there was no commercial intent at all on my part

sorry for the delay

better late than never

page one of many:

Tantric Sex Techniques to Reinvigorate Lovemaking

By Amy Painter

Have you ever experienced a moment of sexual ecstasy? How did it make you feel? Exhilarated? Luminous? Deeply connected? Intense sexual experiences are one of our greatest sources of pleasure.

At the same time, sex is often regarded with an equal measure of fear and fascination. We may crave sexual intimacy to the core of our being, yet also take great pains to avoid it. We may wish to be touched with all of our heart, yet fear our own vulnerability. We may long to rekindle lost passion, but have forgotten how to light the fire.

The practice of Tantra shows us how to reclaim the sexual intimacy that is our birthright. And through this most ancient of arts, we may discover new joys of the erotic and expand mere moments of sexual ecstasy into a lifetime of sexual bliss. At a time when the stresses, fears and distractions of daily life threaten so many relationships, the age-old practice of Tantra shows us how to open our hearts, our emotions and our sexuality.

What Is Tantra?

Although Tantra has long been practiced in many eastern cultures, it is just beginning to flourish in the United States. Born in India more than 6,000 years ago, Tantra emerged as a rebellion against organized religion, which held that sexuality should be rejected in order to reach enlightenment.

Tantra challenged the acetic beliefs of that time, purporting that sexuality was a doorway to the divine, and that earthly pleasures, such as eating, dancing and creative expression were sacred acts.

The word Tantra means "to manifest, to expand, to show and to weave." In this context, sex is thought to expand consciousness and to weave together the polarities of male (represented by the Hindu god, Shiva), and female (embodied by the Hindu goddess, Shakti), into a harmonious whole.

Couples need not adopt the Tantric pantheon in order to benefit from the sexual wisdom of this ancient art. Tantric sexual practices teach us to prolong the act of making love and to utilize potent orgasmic energies more effectively.

Tantra is also health enhancing. "Sexual energy is one of our most powerful energies for creating health," says Christiane Northrup, M.D., author of "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom."

"By using sexual energy consciously…we can tap into a true source of youth and vitality."

How Is Tantric Sex Unique?

In the West, we sometimes view sex as a source of recreation rather than a means of transformation. The goal may be to reach orgasm rather than to pleasure our lover or to connect with him or her more fully.

health.discovery.com/centers/sex/tantric/tantricsex.html

I studied Tantric Yoga for 8 or 9 months with a teacher from India and not once did the subject of sex come up- you have to take America's adoption of Tantra with a grain of salt. I am sure there is something to the idea though.

I'm absolutely a believer in love as a sacred act and it's clear to me that Hollywood and the media are trying their damndest to turn us all into beasts of the field and forget our divine spark, as well as everything else that might advance humanity. :o

Anyway, sinister motives aside, it's not just Tantra that talks about this. There is a Thai Chi Master in Chiang Mai called Mantak Chia who has given some very interesting lectures on this topic. He has a web site but since it's commercial, more here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantak_Chia

I studied Tantric Yoga for 8 or 9 months with a teacher from India and not once did the subject of sex come up- you have to take America's adoption of Tantra with a grain of salt. I am sure there is something to the idea though.

Don't wanna lecture here, but tantra and sexual practice has nothing to do with "America", neither with "Hollywood" this is sheer rubbish, could you explain where does the kama sutra, which was written long before the Mayflower ever set sail, fit in then?

What do all these temples are standing for which are encrusted with statues depicting sexual postures?

Ever seen a so called "YabYum Statue, Painting?

The sexual practice of tantra is about the unification of shiva & shakti, name it yin&yang, the female and the male principle, not about basic sex!

This is what is widely misinterpreted....misunderstood.

"Because of the wide range of communities covered by the term tantra, it is challenging and problematic to describe tantric practices definitively.The ordinary ritual or puja may include any of the following elements:" [20]."

"Mantra and yantra

As in other Hindu and Buddhist yoga traditions, mantra and yantra play an important part in Tantra. The mantras and yantras are instruments to invoke specific Hindu deities such as Shiva and Kali. Similarly, puja may involve focusing on a yantra or mandala associated with a deity.[21]

Identification with deities

Tantra, being a development of early Hindu~Vedic thought, embraced the Hindu gods and goddesses, especially Shiva and Shakti, along with the Advaita philosophy that each represents an aspect of the ultimate Para Shiva, or Brahman. These deities may be worshipped externally with flowers, incense, and other offerings; but, more importantly, are engaged as attributes of Ishta Devata meditations, the practitioners either visualizing themselves as the deity or experiencing the darshan (vision) of the deity.

Secret ritual

Secret ritual may include any or all of the elements of ordinary ritual either directly or substituted along with other sensate rites and themes such as a feast (food, sustenance), coitus (sexuality, procreation), charnel grounds (death, transition) and defecation, urination and vomiting (waste, renewal, fecundity). It was this sensate inclusion that fueled Zimmer's praise of Tantra as having a world-affirmative attitude:

In the Tantra, the manner of approach is not that of Nay but of Yea ... the world attitude is affirmative ... Man must approach through and by means of nature, not by rejection of nature."

-Wikipedia-

click here:

Edited by Samuian

can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not. i agree there is a sexual element to tantra, i just think that america uses that aspect as a marketing ploy, and the sexual aspects are really beside the point when you take the whole thing into consideration. there are a lot of seedy "tantric gurus" in the US.