Trv For Canada

I just wanted to post up on my girlfriends recent experience at the Canadian Embassy.

On Monday she took in her application form and all the supporting documents. She was told to come back the next day for an interview. So on Tuesday she went back to the embassy, and low and behold, she had a visa. No interview was needed.

I thought this process would be much more involved. She quit her job over a year ago, she does not own any property, just owns a new pickup truck. I live and work in Thailand so maybe this helped. She took in alot of documentation and pictures. My mother wrote the letter of invitation for her to come and visit her in Canada, since I am a non resident. The girlfriends bank account had 70,000 baht and showed a history of regular deposits. I wrote a letter stating that I would be responsible for all her expenses and she would have international health care insurance.

I am pleased with the application process and the Canadian embassy after reading about the nightmares that some people have had here in Bangkok.

I just wanted to post up on my girlfriends recent experience at the Canadian Embassy.

On Monday she took in her application form and all the supporting documents. She was told to come back the next day for an interview. So on Tuesday she went back to the embassy, and low and behold, she had a visa. No interview was needed.

I thought this process would be much more involved. She quit her job over a year ago, she does not own any property, just owns a new pickup truck. I live and work in Thailand so maybe this helped. She took in alot of documentation and pictures. My mother wrote the letter of invitation for her to come and visit her in Canada, since I am a non resident. The girlfriends bank account had 70,000 baht and showed a history of regular deposits. I wrote a letter stating that I would be responsible for all her expenses and she would have international health care insurance.

I am pleased with the application process and the Canadian embassy after reading about the nightmares that some people have had here in Bangkok.

nice work rigpig! i am also a canadian and heard many horror stories as well, i have to ask what kind of pictures and anything else that might be helpful?? how do you think it is so that there was no interview? is her visa for 3 months? thanks it is nice to hear...surprisingly good news!!

She took pictures of us together travelling through Thailand over the last 1 1/2 years, her and my mother when she visited Thailand, and us at home. I think the most imporant thing here is that the embassy staff in Bangkok like how the applicant holds themselves. The embassy staff that work in the visa application department are Thai, so they can make or break you. From what I gather, they can sway the outcome of the application.

The GF visa is good for 6 months. but I have not sure for how long she can stay. I work 28/28 offshore in the gulf of Thailand, so we are going back to Alberta for 3 weeks in August.

Also I do think that the age of the parties involved makes a big difference. I am 31 and the GF is 28. Of course they say it doesn't matter, but I think different.

Good luck

I am a Canadian National Living and working in Thailand for the past five years. I had no problem taking my wife to visit Canada at all, she visited Canada twice and was never asked any questions, or even had an interview. Acutely it was the easiest proses I ever went threw. I had Friends who had horror stories at the Canadian Embassy regarding their wifes and girlfriend being refused a tourist visa. I even had a Friend blow up at the Canadian Ambassador to Thailand regarding the refusal of his wifes visa. BUT I will tell for all you fellow Canadians living in Thailand and wanting to take your wife, girlfriend to visit Canada, the correct procedure to apply for a visa.. First.Don't lie on your application. If your girlfriend doesn't work don't lie about it. My wife is a house wife she takes care of our children. that is her job and that is what the Embassy wants you to put down. Be honest if your wife, girlfriend is in school write it down on the application. Just what ever you do don't make up stories that she has a job when she really does not because the Embassy will investigate and when they find out that she is lying she will be rejected a visa and it will be on record at the embassy. Now the secret is that the Canadian and all the Western countries embassies. Want to know about the boyfriend or husband that is accompanying her to Canada. what is he doing in Thailand and what is his intentions regarding taking his wife/girlfriend to Canada. Automatically the Canadian Embassy is concerned about trafficking Thai women, them abusing the well fare system, work Illegally on a tourist visa, prostitution,,, etc...etc... If the husband boyfriend works in Thailand and can show a work permit or your Thai company papers. You will have no problem at all getting a visa. But if your just on holiday in Thailand and you meet a Thai girl and want her to go back to Canada. The reality is that she will not get a Visa. I personally don't agree with any Embassy....It,s all bureaucratic bull shit in my opinion. If you are legally married you should have the right to take your wife to any country you want to go...... All I can say is good luck and I hope I could help.

Our experience almost matches that of the OP exactly. Following the guidelines and submitting all the correct documents, and we have never been refused.

I think the fact that I (like the OP) am living and working in Thailand and Ms. Bino would be travelling (and returning) with me makes the big difference.

Our experience almost matches that of the OP exactly. Following the guidelines and submitting all the correct documents, and we have never been refused.

I think the fact that I (like the OP) am living and working in Thailand and Ms. Bino would be travelling (and returning) with me makes the big difference.

I too am a Canadian (but the wife my husband is Thai) he was granted 2 TRVs. First one required an interview and although we gave binder with 30 pages and were well over prepared I think my husband (bf at the time) won over the older Thai women in the interview. He told the truth about how much his family ment to him and how he could never leave his mom. The second visa(bf at the time) we got the next day no interview required. I think it is also crucial that I could show I work and have worked in Thailand for the past 4 years and I can always show that I have to return for work.

Seeing as I have all of you Canadians together at the moment :o I posted this but it has been bumped to the next page:

I am worried now that we are married that things will not be as easy as his last application. I have heard that if you are married they try to get you to go through the immigration process but we do not want to live in Canada.

We have no assets but we didnt last time either. We could get our name on some land if that would help.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience taking their gf or bf home successfully and then got married and had any problems?

This will also be our first application for a visa to the US. My father lives there and we are hoping to visit him for 5 days. We would arrive there first on route to Canada.

I am assuming I should try for the Canadian visa first and if we get it, will it help our chances with the American visa?

If we arrive in the US, stay for 5 days, then go to Canada and then fly through the US (change planes there) but don't stay, what visa do we need?

Is there a time frame you can apply for TRVs or can we apply ASAP, even though December is 7 months away?

Oh how I dread this ordeal every time!!

any help is appreciated.

Sorry to jump on your post rigpig! and congrats!

Congrats rigpigonjuice. I am going through the same process and it really helps to hear about other peoples experiences.

My gf (Thai) and I have been trying to sort this visa thing out for the last couple of months. Last week she applied for a Temp Visitor Visa to Canada and was denied.

We are considering to apply for a 2nd time as I really want her to experience Canada and come to visit me and meet my family and friends.

I am here asking any advice that might help us with this process. The reason the embassy gave for denying her a visa was that she didnt prove that she would return to Thailand.

We were completely honest with everything on the Visa process. We thought that we had covered almost everything that would show her ties with Thailand and that she would return.

a) her families house is in her name

:o car is in her name

c) fathers business is in her name

The one thing that we didnt provide was a letter from her employment. A short time before applying for the visa she gave notice at her job. ( not only because she was hoping to come to Canada.. but she didnt really like her new job).

Prior to this she had worked with the same company for about 7 years.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that could help proving ties to Thailand? (owning property is not an option for us)

If your girlfriend had an interview, it means that the Canadian Embassy wasn't sure about her application. This is what the person in charge at the Embassy told me last year, that only about 10% of the applicants have an interview. We had a difficult case where a Thai lady was refused. I thought she had good chances... I'm a Canadian lawyer from Quebec and worked on many cases involving the Canadian Immigration Act.

The problem when applying for this visa is that the criteria is quite wide and difficult to contest. They always answer that she(or he) didn't proove that he will be returning in Thailand. How can you answer that? How can you make your second application successful? That's difficult. This is why it's better to prepare and work on your first application. After a refusal, it's always much more difficult.

Beside showing money in a bank account (and be able to explain where the money comes from), having a steady job (and hopefully a good job), showing a long relationship, with pictures (for example) and having properties, strong links to a Thai family (like children, etc), having some education, having been abroad, these are some of ways to show that you will return back in the country.

There is no magic formula and as noted, being honest is the best solution in many cases. They interview hundreds of people per year... so, they know who is telling the truth or not.

i had never had a problem with the BKK canadian embassy staff always friendly and all I brought my little tribe wife and 2 kids to Canada (permanent mind you) and we had NO problems at all no interview .. only thing they were a little picky about were pictures!!! and the staff help her with that too so

one thing i noticed in my visit to the embassy was the arrogant dorks seem to always have problems with the embassy LOL :o

My story about dealing with Canadian Embassy BKK and it is not good

Met my lady friend in Jan 07,never went out with her only talked and laughed with her and bought her a few drinks,went home to Canada after3 weeks.

We had no communication after I left

Went back to Thailand December 6 2007,met lady friend again,spent all my time with her and lived with her in my hotel until I left on

March 1 2008

On February 17 2008 we held an Affirmation Party at her home near Rayong city,with family members and friends.

On March 4 2008 she statred salon school and english which I paid for

Before I left Thailand we discussed about her coming for a visit to Canada.

Went and talked to a visa agency and found out what we needed to supply for application.

I had to go back home and get papers they wanted and sent off to agency.Application filled out and sent in to BKK Embassy

TRV was refused see attached paper

post-44991-1212340718_thumb.jpg

Okay so we apply a 2nd time,as we feel that we can answer the questions of why refused,after 1 week lady friend is called to come for interview.

At the Interview lady is questioned about"does boyfriend give you money""did boyfriend Pay for school"

Visa is refused 2nd time

For second refused, they did not give a refused paper.

Because all paper works is complete but they just have considerated that she should make Civil Partner Registration.

WHY need Civil Partner Registration?

I send a letter by email to embassy

Canadian Embassy

Bangkok Thailand

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing this letter to inquire about visitor visa refusal in reference to

Miss

Thai passport number

Interview date : 28 May2008 at 13.30 p.m.

I have today received notice of tourist visa refusal for my girlfriend---------- I am absolutely devastated by this news as this is the second time that---- has applied.

After the first refusal which we were provided a written notice,both ---- and I felt that we had answered all the points that were asked when we applied the second time.

Please provide an explanation of why tourist visa was refused?

Please also provide any help that you can so that we may provide the Canadian Embassy with the proper information

to secure a visitor visa for ---- for when we apply next time?

Why does ---- need a civil partner register?

---- just would like to take a short trip in Canada like a tourist visitor only.

It is our intention in time that we may marry and be together forever,---- and I would like for her to visit Canada to meet my family and to see the sites of Canada

I also understand that if ---- and I were to get married in Canada that she would have to return to Thailand and re apply

for a spousal visa.

Finally I can guarantee that when her visa is finished ---- will return to Thailand

reply I get from embassy

Dear Sir:

This is in reply to your E-mail of where you indicated your disappointment in the refusal of a visa for your friend.

First of all I must advise you that Canada's privacy legislation prohibits the release of information from an applicant's file without the written authority from the applicant. Accordingly, I am unable to respond specifically to your enquiry at this time. Should you provide this written authority we will be pleased to respond to the specifics of your enquiry. The form can be found on our website of www.cic.gc.ca or, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf.

I would, however, like to explain some general information that we look at with every application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). Any person wishing to become a temporary resident of Canada must satisfy a visa officer that he or she will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for his or her stay, that he or she will not contravene the conditions of admission and that he or she does not belong in a category of persons inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

In reaching a decision, an officer considers several factors, which may include:

- the applicant's travel and identity documents;

- the reason for travel to Canada and the applicant's contacts there;

- the applicant's financial means for the trip;

- the applicant’s ties to his or her country of residence, including immigration status, employment and family ties;

- whether the applicant would be likely to leave Canada at the end of his/her authorized stay.

- When we look at proof of funds these are the applicants own personal funds that show us that they have a stable life in Thailand. We look at bank books in order determine a pattern of stability with consistent deposits and withdrawals.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that "a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act." In all cases the officer must be satisfied that the person wishing to visit Canada will comply with the requirements of the act and that they have sufficient ties to compel them to return to their home country at the conclusion of the visit. If they are not satisfied the officer must refuse the application. A sponsor can only provide financial support and ensure that lodging, food, incidental living needs and transportation are provided. History has shown that a sponsor, no matter how well intentioned, can never guarantee the intent of the applicant and that they will in fact leave Canada at the end of their visit. It is therefore the responsibility of the applicant to satisfy the officer.

This office does not issue a Temporary Resident Visa to enable a person to live in Canada with a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. That is the purpose of a Permanent Resident Visa. You can find more information on this through our website at www.cic.gc.ca.

I realize that this is a disappointment to you and your friend. I assure you that all consideration was taken into account prior to the refusal of the application.

Sincerely yours,

Mr. R. Anderson

Immigration Program Manager

Embassy of Canada - Bangkok

Any one have any ideas what I can do now?

Yes I have sent in the requested form to get theanswer but have not heard anything yet.

The problem when applying for this visa is that the criteria is quite wide and difficult to contest. They always answer that she(or he) didn't proove that he will be returning in Thailand. How can you answer that? How can you make your second application successful? That's difficult. This is why it's better to prepare and work on your first application. After a refusal, it's always much more difficult.

Beside showing money in a bank account (and be able to explain where the money comes from), having a steady job (and hopefully a good job), showing a long relationship, with pictures (for example) and having properties, strong links to a Thai family (like children, etc), having some education, having been abroad, these are some of ways to show that you will return back in the country.

There is no magic formula and as noted, being honest is the best solution in many cases. They interview hundreds of people per year... so, they know who is telling the truth or not.

Isaanlawyers your reply is very much appreciated (everyone else's too :o).

We weren't so lucky as to even be given an interview. I really thought we had prepared properly for the temp visitor visa. I was in contact with an immigration lawyer. We had been in contact with numerous other Thai lady's that had successfully been granted a visa for Canada and tried to copy all of the things that they did.

I can now see a couple of things that we should have done differently. We have been in contact with each other for approximately 5 years. We should have provided emails from the last 5 years to prove our contact as well as phone records. Also when applying for her visa she did not include photos of us together or while i was there with her family. When she applied they said they would meet with her the next day. The next day when she was going to meet with them (for what she thought would be the interview part of the process) she brought photos of us together and of me with her family. Unfortunately her visa was rejected and she never had the opportunity to show them any photos. For anyone who is going to apply for this visa make sure to include the photos at the time you apply for your visa because there is a good chance, like Issanlawyers pointed out, that you will not be granted an interview.

The entire time that I have known my gf she has had a good job in BKK. She is a university graduate and has maintained 100% steady employment over this time. The problem that we faced was that her employer was not willing to grant her a couple of months off to come to Canada and therefore we could not get a letter from her employer saying that she would be returning to her job in a couple of months time.

In Febuary she quit this job and started another job (same work) with a better company. The other problem that we encountered was that her new job required 5 months of training before considering her an employee of the company. (at the time she applied she had been with the new company for 4 months). The new company she was working for gave 0 vacation time as she was new and they only give their employees vacation time after 1 year with the company. So again...... her employer was unwilling to allow her the time off that she would need to travel to Canada... and then allow her to return to her work.

If they had checked her bank account information Im sure that they could see she has been working for a long time with a good job.

She is the eldest child in her family and is the only other member of her family besides her father that is helping provide for her family.

When she applied for her visa she said they returned some papers to her.. one of which was her bank account information.

Why wouldnt they want to review her bank account information?? Her father did put some extra money into her account prior to her visa application but if they actually reviewed this information they could see that she was being paid regularly for the past 8 years +.

When I spoke with an immigration lawyer he told me that if we stated we have a relationship there is very strong chance her visa will be rejected due to that reason. He suggested that I ask my parents to act as a sponsor. I told him that my parents have never been to Thailand and that we can not think of a plausible story as to how they know each other.

We thought this over for a long time and decided that we felt more comfortable telling the truth and being straight up about everything. I did however have my parents act as a co-sponsor with myself.

There are a few things that I feel we can improve upon for our next application but it seems they will always be able to use the excuse that we did not prove she will return to Thailand.

Like Malaka I feel that there is a good chance for my gf and I to be married in the future but at this point it was about her meeting my family and friends... getting a chance to travel around Canada and see my culture .... etc.. I could guarantee them 100% that she would return to Thailand given the chance.

Do we apply again for the temp visa.. will it be enough or will it hurt our chances even more. Im not sure what to do....

Again thanks to everyone who has contributed here it really helps.

As most will see in reviewing threads on visas to the U.S., Canada or Austrailia for Thais, the number one criteria that should be addressed is the requirement for the applicant to demonstrate "compelling reasons to return to Thailand", without overstaying the visa.

Clearly, if there is a relationship with a citizen of the country from which a visa is sought, there is a monumental difference, if that person is resident in Thailand or the foreign country from which the visa is being sought.

All those who live in their home country and want a visit from a love interest, are well served by consiidering long and hard before interfering in the visa process and creating the issue of an emotional tie to the country from which the visa is being sought. It is almost obvious, that if a Thai person can appear to have strong ties to Thailand and has the means to finance a tourist trip to a western country, they are better off keeping their falang love interest out of the visa process.

Also, as has been posted in this thread, a mother of children in her care, has a strong motive to return to those children if they are still young. A person with a good job in Thailand will do well as it is unlikely they will give up a good job and life in Thailand for a future as an illlegal working in a garment sweat shop or Thai restaurant. A Thai male under 30 will have a very hard time getting a tourist visa since few Thais of this age go on tourist trips to expensive foreign countries.

The difficulty is making an unemotional appraisal of the key factors that will be considered by visa officials when your personally involved. Posting a explicit and honest description of your application facts on Thaivisa and asking for advice and comments goes a long way in getting such an unemotional evaluation of the chances of successs and ideas for prsenting the best visa "story".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the board but have been lurking for a while now. Thanks for your postings, I wish I had read them before my tgf applied for a trv to Canada. Her application was rejected despite having a steady job and money in the bank. She has been to Europe many times and always returned to her children in Thailand. She filled out the forms properly and submitted a letter from her employer, deed to house,etc. and was still rejected. I made the mistake of sending an invitation letter stating our relationship and the purpose of her visit was to" see if we could live happily together and further develop our relationship". The rejection letter was full of the statements that are impossible to defend or disprove and I fear that we are in trouble. She would have gained admission easily had she applied without my "help". I am now at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. :o

I will tell you what Mr Anderson told me 3 and a half years ago when my thai GF and i were attempting to do the same thing.After 2 refusals , his advise to me was..A: get married...B: move to Thailand, because there was no way he would grant a visa to visit Canada (same reason , we dont think she will return).So we got married , she now has permanent residence in Canada and after 2 and a half years there , we have moved to Koh Samui. :o good luck

Edited by lowerlakeside

• 2 weeks later...

A tourist visa for my TG has been refused..one of the reasons was that she had no prior international travel history . And traveling to neighbouring countries DOES NOT COUNT..

how is one supposed to travel overseas if they cannot get an opportunity to travel overseas in the first place?

How did your TG with no prior international travel history be granted the tourist visa? any solutions to this?

thank you for your suggestion/advice

:o

I will tell you what Mr Anderson told me 3 and a half years ago when my thai GF and i were attempting to do the same thing.After 2 refusals , his advise to me was..A: get married...B: move to Thailand, because there was no way he would grant a visa to visit Canada (same reason , we dont think she will return).So we got married , she now has permanent residence in Canada and after 2 and a half years there , we have moved to Koh Samui. :D good luck

I had the same experience when my TG and I applied in late April 2008. The Thai-lady officer basically said... "You have nothing that convinces me you'll return back". She also said that "the only way for you two to go to Canada together is, if you are both serious, get married and apply for permanent residence there". She even got all the paperwork for us and said "choke dee" (good luck!). Well, that was always my intention, I just wanted my TG to meet the family/friends and see just how <deleted>' different it is there. After knowing my TG and living with her for over 1 year, I can say with much pride that she will be my TW in October. After that, we will start the process of permanent residence. So... :o can I bug some of those Canadian brains regarding this? :D ... much appreciated :D