Retired Moving To Los With Wife, Question....

sendbaht

I retired yesterday...My God it feels good...I am free no more handcuffs.

Anyway need your help.

I read somewhere "I think" that a Thai citizen can bring a container of their "stuff" duty free in to Thailand. Something like a welcome back to your county offer as long as she been out of country like a year or more.

Am I imagining this or is some this true?

See you all soon.

Sendbaht

We made the move here from California in 2002. We loaded a container and had it shipped to our home here in Thailand direct to our front door. The cost then was about $5000 but we brought absolutely everything. We used a shipping company that specializes in Thailand (Rama Shipping). My only regret was that I should have bought even more stuff to ship.

We made a shipping invintory list of all shipped items put into the container. My wife's things included even "her shop tools"

I believe the Thai must be out of Thailand for at least 18 months. Make sure the documents show your wife as the shipper and the receiver of the goods. We have done this 2 times after extended stays overseas. Good luck

Excellent link skipvice, thanks. :o

Any ideas on reasonable removers to take a 20ft container of household goods from Surrey to Koh Chang? Quotes received of £4,500 or so seem expensive. Same price for a mate moving to Melbourne Australia. :D

Congrats on freedom sendbaht! :D

About to get there soon myself! :D

Excellent link skipvice, thanks. :o

Any ideas on reasonable removers to take a 20ft container of household goods from Surrey to Koh Chang? Quotes received of £4,500 or so seem expensive. Same price for a mate moving to Melbourne Australia. :D

Congrats on freedom sendbaht! :D

About to get there soon myself! :D

I'm currently debating the economics of bringing a 20ft container over from the UK. Does anyone have a published figure for the tariff/rate of duty that Thai customs apply to 2nd hand houshold goods if brought in by a UK resident without a work permit.

BTW cowbs, for a shipping quote try the below. I can't comment on service but they gave me a "sensible" quote to move a 20ft box from Spain to Hua Hin.

ABX Logistics (Thailand) Ltd.

Tel : 66-2-684-8100

I retired yesterday...My God it feels good...I am free no more handcuffs.

Anyway need your help.

I read somewhere "I think" that a Thai citizen can bring a container of their "stuff" duty free in to Thailand. Something like a welcome back to your county offer as long as she been out of country like a year or more.

Am I imagining this or is some this true?

See you all soon.

Sendbaht

My old lady got all tax free shipping, but she was a student in nyc, then worked for 2 more years... packed as well as my stuff no tarrifs..this was about 6 months ago

Edited by tb86

All good posts and links guys, thanks a bunch.

Now it comes down to keep or not to keep.

We just may sell everything and start fresh.

We won't be selling the golf clubs though.

Thanks again.

Don Sendbaht