Lonliness

frankpelagic

Can anyone help? I have retired to Pattaya, and am having trouble getting onto a network of friends or even acquaintances. I am a fairly reserved 56 year old, shy even, but most days I only ever talk to the check out chick or bar maid (Singha please, and Check bin Khrup), and its starting to drive me crazy. I was a fairly senior emergency/trauma nurse in my previous life, and would be happy to give some of my time (of which I have a lot) if there is a voluntary organisation that exists. Any ideas?

Can anyone help? I have retired to Pattaya, and am having trouble getting onto a network of friends or even acquaintances. I am a fairly reserved 56 year old, shy even, but most days I only ever talk to the check out chick or bar maid (Singha please, and Check bin Khrup), and its starting to drive me crazy. I was a fairly senior emergency/trauma nurse in my previous life, and would be happy to give some of my time (of which I have a lot) if there is a voluntary organisation that exists. Any ideas?

Could try the Sawang Borriboon volunteers, but whether or not you'd like to attend RTAs and suicides in your happy retirement is up to you?

Maybe the Men in Black (Foreign Police Volunteers) on Walking Street could use someone with your extensive emergency training as back up, in case any of them end up in a sticky situation whilst watching TV by their van.

There are other groups in Pattaya that do charity work and in my opinion this would be a much safer path to follow. Keep a look out in local papers for contact details. You could even join one of the Ex-Pat clubs, where you are likely to meet equally lonely people and have much in common.

Emm, very interesting view from you, I understand.

You can come to speak more here, soi 14, Walking Str., River Bar.

From the 2nd Road and South Pattaya Road crossing-over you´ll see a little soi, and about 100 metres.

Just ask Jussi, and you´ll find me.

I have a lot of time to talk with every case!

Jussi

Why don`t you go along to the Pattaya Expats Club?

The club meets every Sunday morning at the Grand Sole hotel on Second Road :o

Check out the Thaivisa Friday Nights Out thread, in the Pattaya forum. It varies from 2-20 attendees on any given night, but is always a good laugh, and they are very friendly to newcomers.

I wouldn't recommend the expats club personally, unless you enjoy a good sleep on a Sunday morning.

Do you golf/ fish/ scuba etc, etc. There is a plethora of clubs and societies that meet up regularly to partake in their favourite passtimes.

Why don`t you go along to the Pattaya Expats Club?

The club meets every Sunday morning at the Grand Sole hotel on Second Road :D

Please don't advise people to be sad.

He needs cheering up not boring to death. :D

Frank get yourself down Soi 6, loads of mates, you wont be shy for long. :o

Edited by plasticpig

You could try learning Thai and golf you will meet people at these activities.

>>Why don`t you go along to the Pattaya Expats Club? <<

Because they are a cult of lonely weirdos ,who will only make the OP feel even more lonely .

There are two main expat clubs.

The Pattaya City Expats Club also meets on Sunday mornings in Henry J Beans at the Amari Orchid Resort, Beach Road near Soi 1. See .pattayacityexpatsclub.com

Breakfast and coffee starts at 9.30am. The actual meeting with speaker starts at 10.30am. After the main speaker(s) there is an Open Forum for exchange of advice, information, jokes and local news it usually ends around noon.

Its very informal and is much more of a social club than business oriented.

I do not recognise your description of the very sociable and outgoing members.

Have you ever actually attended and taken part in any of the many subgroups? ie golfing group, fishing, breakfast discussion group. computer, photography, writers, investment, factory trips, touchy topic discussions, pool players, thai lessons, cookery lessons,book exchange, DVD library, restaurant Members Dinners, trips out in general and a cross cultural volunteer group, boat group, etc.

It doesn't suit everyone but its members are hardly 'lonely weirdos'.

You will get a warm welcome if you go along and make yourself known as a new attender.

Edited by beginner

You were an emergency/trauma nurse in your previous life?

I think you'll fit in just fine with the Buddhist believe. They believe in reincarnation as well.

I saw a video on Youtube the other day about a young Australian fellow . He is a volunteer in Bangkok. Emergency response. The Thai people are happy to have him in BKK it looked like. Sounded like they are really busy too. You may be able to help and make a lot of people happy or let's say happier.

There are two main expat clubs.

The Pattaya City Expats Club also meets on Sunday mornings in Henry J Beans at the Amari Orchid Resort, Beach Road near Soi 1. See .pattayacityexpatsclub.com

It doesn't suit everyone but its members are hardly 'lonely weirdos'.

I have to agree with Beginner. The two expats clubs are very different and Pattaya CITY Expats club (PCEC) is FAR better if you want something a bit participatory.

But you've got to give it a bit of time and attend a group or two.

I would urge the OP to give PCEC a go.

>>Why don`t you go along to the Pattaya Expats Club? <<

The club meets every Sunday morning at the Grand Sole hotel on Second Road

Because they are a cult of lonely weirdos ,who will only make the OP feel even more lonely .

Every time this Expats Club gets mentioned, it is being torn apart, at least a little bit.

But actually the people organizing it really try to do what’s possible on a very restricted budget, get some sort

of entertainment on the stage which may be interesting to as many people as possible without getting too commercial

or expensive. And there are some good points attached to it like getting information about visa problems,

Pattaya International Hospital is there and if required legal services. And they at least had a kind of social-emotional

meeting people group there as well.

You were an emergency/trauma nurse in your previous life?

I think you'll fit in just fine with the Buddhist believe. They believe in reincarnation as well.

I saw a video on Youtube the other day about a young Australian fellow . He is a volunteer in Bangkok. Emergency response. The Thai people are happy to have him in BKK it looked like. Sounded like they are really busy too. You may be able to help and make a lot of people happy or let's say happier.

"Previous life" as in my working life.

Mercy Mission can always do with some help if you want to mix with some different people. They look after street kids. PM me for details.

The carrilion (spelling?) centre looks after kids affected by AIDS, either through the loss of parents or infection.

Jesters does fund raising for both.

The expat clubs get boring after a few visits in my opinion.

There are 6 Rotary Clubs in Pattaya. They have weekly meetings and get involved with many projects in the local community. If you are bored then this may help you in getting more active and also meet new friends,

My Rotary Clubs sit is www.rotary-pattaya.org have a look at the site and if you want to visit we meet every Thursday night at 18.45 at the Amari Hotel north Pattaya. Send an email to [email protected] if you are interested in coming along.

Not true the pool leagues in Pattaya take them selves too seriously

I left it all a few years back and I was one of the best players around.

But I witnessed all sorts of childish behaviour buy bar owners and players.

Pool nights were fun, now no way. Go and have a game with some of the bar girls they are better company.

You can keep the pool leagues. Total crap.

Gotta agree with PP on that one. They seem to attract the dross of expats, who then want to start a fight when they lose. One idiot in our team started a fight with a copper, in a bar full of coppers! I packed it in after that and haven't played in the league for over a year now.

PP, I was pretty useful myself - fancy a game sometime? (no fighting :o )

I used to be active in the Pattaya Expat Club but was strangled by the regimentation dished out by King Rxxxxxd and Sir Nxxs and because I put up a fuss I was relieved of my volunteer position and hence moved over to the Pattaya City Expat Club meeting at 10am Sunday at Henry J Beans on Beach road next to the Amari Orchid hotel. A fun organization without the strict rules and regulations and not so profit oriented as the Expat club. I got involved volunteering, leading some interest groups, bringing my 400 DVD library collection to share with the group, organizing a group of golfers who are more into having fun than criticizing each other for their inability to hit the ball long, straight and accurately. I now have dozens of friends from all over the world and don't have time to go bar hopping any longer with the booze boys I formerly ran with.

I've never been much of a"club man" either, but as the OP is looking to make friends, he might well find some there, even if he doesn't participate in much of the clubs' activities.

I used to be active in the Pattaya Expat Club but was strangled by the regimentation dished out by King Rxxxxxd and Sir Nxxs and because I put up a fuss I was relieved of my volunteer position and hence moved over to the Pattaya City Expat Club meeting at 10am Sunday at Henry J Beans on Beach road next to the Amari Orchid hotel. A fun organization without the strict rules and regulations and not so profit oriented as the Expat club. I got involved volunteering, leading some interest groups, bringing my 400 DVD library collection to share with the group, organizing a group of golfers who are more into having fun than criticizing each other for their inability to hit the ball long, straight and accurately. I now have dozens of friends from all over the world and don't have time to go bar hopping any longer with the booze boys I formerly ran with.

agree with you there with regards to that club, lot of people just touting their wares/businesses and I for one do question the integrity of the dane....I won't elaborate on here but be very wary about getting too close to them types :o

• 2 weeks later...
I've never been much of a"club man" either, but as the OP is looking to make friends, he might well find some there, even if he doesn't participate in much of the clubs' activities.

Rubbish Mobi! You used to be quite the man, 'in da club' at every opportunity or so I have heard.

To the OP, here's a link to a medical article which hits on several of the points that have been made in this thread regards your senior moments and how to stave off boredom, loneliness and depression.

Old geezers staying active

Staying active is pretty much the bottom line and getting out and meeting the new neighbours is required in every sense of the word. The town is blessed with (mostly) decent weather so no need to stay inside surfing the net. Keep an open mind about all these underhand comments on the alleged ulterior motives of some the higher profile expats in town; join several of these expat clubs and see which one you feel comfortable with. There's absolutely no good reason to get the glums and fall inside a bottle in Pattaya IMHO.

Let us know how you get on Frank.

Plastic pig and sweetchariot,

which teams did you play for then.I personally find that you CAN meet SOME good friends playing pool,but my experience is the bad bars attract the bad guys.I could name some nasty horrible bars in pattaya that attract all kinds of dickheads but i wont.

Overall THE Pattaya pool leagues are mainly decent people.