Garmin Gps

After the hideous ordeal of getting lost in Bkk today I have finally realised my life could be made better by having a GPS system in my car. I drive from Kanchaniburi to Suvarnabhumi regularly and still get lost!!!

Does anyone know where I can buy a Garmin either in Kanchaniburi or on-line?

After the hideous ordeal of getting lost in Bkk today I have finally realised my life could be made better by having a GPS system in my car. I drive from Kanchaniburi to Suvarnabhumi regularly and still get lost!!!

I know of a few places in Bangkok to get a Garmin. I would highly recomend getting Thailand maps from http://rotweilermaps.com/

They have full coverage and are routable as well. I used it from Pattaya to Nong Khai.

http://www.garminthailand.com/

http://www.esrith.com/

This is where i bought my Garmin Nuvi.

Gadgets

I drove from Bangkok to si sa ket guided by the Garmin without any problems.

Cheers, Rick

Save your self a lot of trouble and have Gadget Trend deliver one right to your front door. It will have the latest ESRI Thailand map and I'm sure you will get a free 2009 map upgrade. Any problems or questions and Gadget Trend will take good care of you. They have a guy named Art who speaks excellent English.

Thats great, thank you. I will be on the phone to Gadgettrend tomorrow! And Bangkok road signs will be a nightmare no more!!!! I hope

I should give you a warning. When I am in Bangkok, I really don't pay a lot of attention where I am going. I just go where my Garmin tells me. If it should ever quit working I may never find my way out. :o

Save your self a lot of trouble and have Gadget Trend deliver one right to your front door. It will have the latest ESRI Thailand map and I'm sure you will get a free 2009 map upgrade. Any problems or questions and Gadget Trend will take good care of you. They have a guy named Art who speaks excellent English.

I found the people at GadgetTrend to be very helpful. Definitely recommended.

My wife phoned Gadgettrend this morning and after talking to us persuaded us to buy the 200W instead of the 310. She said that the gps was as good the screen larger and the extra's on the 310 were stuff we didn't need. So we save 6000 baht. Not many sales people here actually spend time finding out what you need and then sell you the right product even though it is a lot cheaper than the one you originally go in for. Actually not many sales people do that anywhere in the world.

So the money goes in their bank today and we get delivery (free) on friday. Happy days!! I feel a circumnavigation of Bangkok coming on!!

My wife phoned Gadgettrend this morning and after talking to us persuaded us to buy the 200W instead of the 310. She said that the gps was as good the screen larger and the extra's on the 310 were stuff we didn't need. So we save 6000 baht. Not many sales people here actually spend time finding out what you need and then sell you the right product even though it is a lot cheaper than the one you originally go in for. Actually not many sales people do that anywhere in the world.

So the money goes in their bank today and we get delivery (free) on friday. Happy days!! I feel a circumnavigation of Bangkok coming on!!

That's a good choice, I'm sure you will be surprised, amazed and pleased. Gadget Trend also responds well to email. I have never been in their shop and did everything via email. I had LOTS of questions.

Nice one mate. I have the same model and it had a good large screen and works a treat. Good luck with your new toy!

Cheers, Rick

Dont forget that a lot of higher level GPS phones and PDA's can also run Garmin XT and use the same ESRI maps.

Any idea where I could get this done around Pattaya?

They would need to speak english and be able to explain things in simple terms as I don't have a clue when it comes to technical stuff

I know this may be a lot to ask in Thailand....

I already have a gps phone which worked sort of ok in Bkk but was useless outside. The biggest problem was it took ages to boot up. By the time it had locked on I was already lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That phone cost me 21,000baht and I now use a ten pound nokia I bought on my last trip to the UK!

Maybe I got a dud but I would not reccommend gps phones for use in the car as they are very hard to read in sunlight and if the phone rings the gps is off which can be a tad tricky in Bkk

Hi

Gadget trend is real good, got a Garmin 2720 2 years ago, went in for the first upgrade a few weeks back, they send me to ESRI office, 30 minutes later i was out with new upgrade, and it was free, good service

Just a small note of caution regarding Garmin.

Unless the service policy has changed, should you Garmin require a new internal battery or it becomes faulty it will probably have to go to Taiwan (not Thailand) for a repair and service.

My Garmin GPS lll has an internal battery which tells me that it is flat and when I spoke to ESRI a couple of years ago they said that I needed to send it to them so that they could check the fault (it is obvious what the problem is) and then the would send it to Taiwan for repair and upgrade.

Unless the service policy has changed, should you Garmin require a new internal battery or it becomes faulty it will probably have to go to Taiwan (not Thailand) for a repair and service.

My Garmin GPS lll has an internal battery which tells me that it is flat and when I spoke to ESRI a couple of years ago they said that I needed to send it to them so that they could check the fault (it is obvious what the problem is) and then the would send it to Taiwan for repair and upgrade.

Is should run off the cigarette lighter connector. My 2610 Street Pilot doesn't even have any batteries. My hand held eTrex runs off two AA batteries.

I thought the older Garmin GPS III ran off AA batteries too.

Update

True to their word Gadgettrend delivered my 200W yesterday. Out of the box and into the car straight away. It took about a minute to set it up on the windscreen and another 2 minutes for it to link to the satellite. It then asked me where to go? I tapped in an address and off we went.

During the 17km drive I deliberately turned where I shouldn't and each time the gps recalculated within a second to get me back on track.

How impressed am I? Very. I am actually looking forward to my next drive through Bangkok.

Everyone should have one of these machines they are fantastic. It turns itself on when the car starts as well so I don't need to think about it.

I do not know very much about these units but sounds like this is what I need as well. I live in Isaan, will these Garmin units work anywhere in thailand?

Sgunn65, cant you tell me how much your unit cost from Gadgettrend? Looks like I need to give them a call as well.

I do not know very much about these units but sounds like this is what I need as well. I live in Isaan, will these Garmin units work anywhere in thailand?

Sgunn65, cant you tell me how much your unit cost from Gadgettrend? Looks like I need to give them a call as well.

I'm out in the boonies of Loei province and the Garmin even shows dirt roads. I have found lots of short cuts, some good roads and some not so good.

the nuvi 200 I just bought costs 12,700- works great.

Is should run off the cigarette lighter connector. My 2610 Street Pilot doesn't even have any batteries. My hand held eTrex runs off two AA batteries.

It does run off AA batteries as you say BUT unfortunately any waypoints you store or anything that you put in will not survive as it is the internal memory battery which has failed.

I took the back cover off but there was no sign of a replaceable battery and as I rarely use it now I really cannot be bothered to send it to BKK and then onwards to Taiwan and back again.

I paid 16,700 for the 200W which is the widescreen one and delivery from Gadgettrend was free and on the day they said. I can't speak highly enough of the service or the unit. I am in love!!!!!

It does run off AA batteries as you say BUT unfortunately any waypoints you store or anything that you put in will not survive as it is the internal memory battery which has failed.

I took the back cover off but there was no sign of a replaceable battery and as I rarely use it now I really cannot be bothered to send it to BKK and then onwards to Taiwan and back again.

The internal Battery failed in both my C320 and C510 after about 18 months.

It was fairly simple to find out which battery they used (both happen to be the same) and how to replace them using google.

After that a trip to Fortune to buy the battery (from memory B200) and then 30m mins of disassembly/soldering/reassembly and they were as good as new.

If your not confident of doing it yourself any half competent electrician should be able to do it for a minor fee.

Cheers

I already have a gps phone which worked sort of ok in Bkk but was useless outside. The biggest problem was it took ages to boot up. By the time it had locked on I was already lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That phone cost me 21,000baht and I now use a ten pound nokia I bought on my last trip to the UK!

Maybe I got a dud but I would not reccommend gps phones for use in the car as they are very hard to read in sunlight and if the phone rings the gps is off which can be a tad tricky in Bkk

I have the ASUS P535 PDA phone with gps and it works great, it is a bit slow picking up satellite signal but I just start the gps before going out my house and by the time I'm ready to drive its on. It uses SpeedNavi software and map I can't compare to Garmin as I have never used one but we have a condo in Bangkok and a house in Aranyaprathet and the map has all the sois in both places. Oh btw my phone is very clear and easy to read in the car, it came with the suction cup holder and cigarette lighter charger. Its also a great phone and PDA, I was thinking about buying a Garmin but decided not too because I wouldn't want to leave it in my vehicle and couldn't be bothered to drag it along with me everywhere. The phone on the other hand I take anyways because its my phone and the unit is small.

http://www.eaglegps.info/shopdemo/index.ph...dex&cPath=1

Chiangmai based, they have interesting live tracking on their website too.

http://www.eaglegps.info/gps/index.php?opt...4&Itemid=65

go to the above site, the expand into the Chiangmai "pin" marker. Click on the username on the left with the most recent update time. Is a bit scary to think the wife could track you so easy!!!

Edited by jayjayjayjay