Farangs And Baggy Shorts ... Why?

SamsSauce1949

I've been to Thailand twice now, and have to say I love the place, but what puzzles me, is why do so many Farangs like wearing such revoltingly designed baggy shorts? Heaven only knows where, or why they buy them, aa I would have thought exposing the legs so that the Mozzies can chew them, plus it gives access to the 'meat and 2 veg' department which I would have thought is the last place anyone wants to get bitten!

It also seems that they are the preferred attire of those with a waist in excess of 46 inches, and waist/beer gut of even vaster proportions. I also get the impression that the object of the excercise is so that their spindly legs and knobbly knees are exposed so all the Thai women can 'Admire' them! Is this because of some kind of Fetish, the tropical alternative to wearing rubber?

It's certainly something that I feel shows 'us' lot up in a very unfavorable light.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to Thailand twice now, and have to say I love the place, but what puzzles me, is why do so many Farangs like wearing such revoltingly designed baggy shorts? Heaven only knows where, or why they buy them, aa I would have thought exposing the legs so that the Mozzies can chew them, plus it gives access to the 'meat and 2 veg' department which I would have thought is the last place anyone wants to get bitten!

It also seems that they are the preferred attire of those with a waist in excess of 46 inches, and waist/beer gut of even vaster proportions. I also get the impression that the object of the excercise is so that their spindly legs and knobbly knees are exposed so all the Thai women can 'Admire' them! Is this because of some kind of Fetish, the tropical alternative to wearing rubber?

It's certainly something that I feel shows 'us' lot up in a very unfavorable light.

goes with the wife beater singlets.

doesnt bother me. let them look how they want, Thai's are clever enough to tell teh difference.,

eg: you dont mistake a construction worker from issan with a hiso young fella do you?

Oh well the ones who wear shorts, sandals and socks streched up to halfway the knees... :o

And than those little bags in flashy colors for around the waiste [they

come in XXXL apperently :D ]

Edited by DaoDao

Living in a less than desirable area all too populated by sex-tourists; I can say without a doubt the cheap cargo shorts, cheaper flip-flops, and the ever present Chang/Singha wife beater t-shirt is the norm rather than the exception in dress code for the aging sex-pats in these parts. I also take exception to them wearing black socks w/sandals as it's so 'last year' fashion-wise. They can also easily be identified by the “thai-in-tow” which is usually young enough to be their granddaughter, but this is about foreigners and their attire not their accompanying accoutrements.

Sunday nite I was witness to one of the strangest sights I'd seen in a while. Believe me, living where I do, you see some pretty whacked things.

A guy who had to be pushing 70+ was wearing the most hideous hair piece I'd ever seen. I mean it looked like a stuffed badger or possibly a possum perching on his head. I even stopped walking past to look to see if it had eyes. He was wearing a Singha wife beater (singlet). That is something I would NOT advise if you're pushing 70 as his "guns" just weren't loaded any more. He had on khaki shorts which were pulled up to just a few inches below his armpits and a pair of white soccer socks which went over his knees, almost to the middle of his spindly thigh.

Even the thais selling stuff on the Sukhumvit were staring at him. As it was windy, every once in a while he'd do a quick surreptitious check of the hairpiece to see it hadn't gone askew (or ran off to hibernate), as well as tug up the shorts.

I almost went back to take a picture with my mobile as I am currently working on a book, sure to be a best seller called; "Identifying Old Fat Sex Tourists; A Bangkok Field Guide". He’d a been a contender for the cover that’s for sure.

Brilliant stuff Tod, but a photo was definitely needed. Sod the privacy laws.

There is also a notable Thai commuter I see travelling to/from work on the BTS and MRT. He's a fat 50 dressed in suit but with long hair on one side of his head which he combs over to the other side in a feeble attempt to fool people that he has a full head of hair. That in itself is not too weird, but he absolutely plasters this combed over hair with gel so a passing tornado wouldn't budge it. It looks superglued to his head, and having a dark complexion he resembles a living, moving mannequin.

Others on here must have seen him and ALL Thais near him on public transport that I've seen just cannot look away.

A guy who had to be pushing 70+ was wearing the most hideous hair piece I'd ever seen. I mean it looked like a stuffed badger or possibly a possum perching on his head. I even stopped walking past to look to see if it had eyes. He was wearing a Singha wife beater (singlet). That is something I would NOT advise if you're pushing 70 as his "guns" just weren't loaded any more. He had on khaki shorts which were pulled up to just a few inches below his armpits and a pair of white soccer socks which went over his knees, almost to the middle of his spindly thigh.

that sounds like Dr Pat who Pongs :o

dress as you like as long as it is respectful to those around you. baggy shorts with lots of pockets, i love them. they are comfortable and there is plenty of places to put all my crap. (when i go to bangkok though i do tend to wear jeans for some reason. perhaps its conformity)

and to the person complaining about mosquitoes doing a star wars maneuver up the pant leg, i've never had that happen to me. after being in the LOS for a while you develop an immunity to the local insects. as soon as they start invading my personal areas then i will stop free balling and adopt the tighty whities.

Disgusting! I wear suits pretty much 24/7 and can be found at the Huntsman pub in the Landmark hotel , working the crowd with a carafe of wine looking for a freebie. Much more civilised :o

Live and let live for christs sake.....I dont ask whyt village people inThailand wear baggy shortsd, washed out tee shirts and flip flops ?? and the reason I dont ask is its their affair, they are no worse people for that...dont be so <deleted> elitist.... :o

Good sir I take offense, woman repeatedly tell me I hansum man and even men from tailor shops want to shake my hand,

homer(mad).gif

we should start the good looking expat club. exclusive to the handsome men that have been thoroughly judged by a panel of honest ladies of the night. dues could be paid directly to the judges.

Probably because if they get a boner in tight shorts it's harder to hide.

I duuno lol

Living in a less than desirable area all too populated by sex-tourists; I can say without a doubt the cheap cargo shorts, cheaper flip-flops, and the ever present Chang/Singha wife beater t-shirt is the norm rather than the exception in dress code ...

I'd rather be walking fashion 'faux pas' (and a comfortable one at that) than some bitter person who chooses to live in or near one of the world's infamous red light districts and spends all of his spare time bitching about tourists who come to Thailand specifically to patronize it.

.... currently working on a book, sure to be a best seller ....

Or possibly the fastest on record to end up on a table at the 1-baht shop.

Edited by Spee

Agreed. It's one of the easiest ways of spotting a two-week hero is by seeing which are wearing shorts.

Sure, some expats wear shorts but most tourists don't wear long pants and it shows.

Years ago I used to wear shorts when I lived on the islands. The molecule ones with the cargo pockets (very handy).

I took a trip to the mainland and went to the clubs there. I was the only one wearing shorts :o

I soon graduated to long combat pants with cargo pants instead :D

Much better than shorts IMO.

When I first came to Thailand, I wore baggy cargo shorts because the air goes up your legs to your crotch and keeps you much cooler than long pants and there are lots of places to store your stuff. I still wear them because of the same reason and also because I can buy them in my size cheaply all over the place.

I don't wear sandals because my feet get all dried out and split, so I wear running shoes with the cheapest cotton socks I can find instead (usually short, black ones). When I was growing up, everyone said white sox were goofy and the ones with colored stripes are usually really thick and sqeeze my feet, so I avoid them.

I'm still cool anyway! :o

Anyone wearing a suit and a tie is obviously a salesman and I avoid salesman. Guys wearing slightly tattered dress pants and a tie are normally teachers. They do what they have to do.

You dress they way you want and I'll dress the way I want. I'd rather be comfortable than impress you.

Exactly - Down here in singapore shorts and either deck shoes or crocs are pretty much the uniform at the weekend. I can walk into Raffles or anywhere like that.

I can be sitting watching the footie or rugby by the river with guys who are Neuro-Radiologists, Directors of Microsoft, VP's of major investment banks everyone is the same - I thinks its just those who know they are peasants like to criticise others wearing shorts in the tropical heat - the secure guy's who have made it or are making it just get on with it.

If you've been here twice then you probably should've noticed that LOS has a tropical climate, i.e. one that leans a tad to the warm side. Guys who wear baggy shorts do so because it keeps them cool and strangely enough their priority is personal comfort as opposed to endeavouring to present an appearance that satisfies the eyes of narrow-minded fashion victims.

Edited by Bananaman

Generally I don't give a dam_n what people wear as long as it is appropriate to the occasion/location (i.e. shirts on in a restaurant etc). But what I don't understand is those "shorts" people wear that come halfway down their shins. If you are going to wear shorts wear SHORTS and if you are going to wear longs wear LONGS. I fail to see the attraction of these in between garments but each to their own.

Personally I wear tee/polo shirt, shorts and trainers with short white sports socks during the day and polo shirt, jeans, trainers and socks at night. Maybe old fashioned but longs, particularly early evening, provide a defence barrier against the mozzies. I intensely dislike flip flops (don't like the thing between my toes) and it takes longer to break in a new pair of sandals than a pair of site boots so I don't bother with them. I wear what I am comfortable in and what I consider appropriate. If people don't like what I wear that's up to them, if people think my dress to be inappropriate then they are welcome to make their point after which I will either apologise and depart or tell them to combine sex and travel.

Living in a less than desirable area all too populated by sex-tourists; I can say without a doubt the cheap cargo shorts, cheaper flip-flops, and the ever present Chang/Singha wife beater t-shirt is the norm rather than the exception in dress code for the aging sex-pats in these parts. I also take exception to them wearing black socks w/sandals as it's so 'last year' fashion-wise. They can also easily be identified by the "thai-in-tow" which is usually young enough to be their granddaughter, but this is about foreigners and their attire not their accompanying accoutrements.

Sunday nite I was witness to one of the strangest sights I'd seen in a while. Believe me, living where I do, you see some pretty whacked things.

Even the thais selling stuff on the Sukhumvit were staring at him. As it was windy, every once in a while he'd do a quick surreptitious check of the hairpiece to see it hadn't gone askew (or ran off to hibernate), as well as tug up the shorts.

I almost went back to take a picture with my mobile as I am currently working on a book, sure to be a best seller called; "Identifying Old Fat Sex Tourists; A Bangkok Field Guide". He'd a been a contender for the cover that's for sure.

You choose to live in the sex tourist area- what does that say about you Beau Brummel?

I bet my shirts cost more than your whole outfit - I hate guys in cheap clothes and even cheaper watches.