Smoking Ban Pattaya

homeless007

The OP asked if anyone had clarification on the law, thats all. Could we please not turn this thread into yet another smoker V non-smoker barrage of drivel.

I've always found pretend-moderators to be irritating.

You can keep it on track. Good luck!

I have removed two irrelevant posts without penalty

Please leave the moderating to those of us who are real ones

thanks guys

CB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct with the point that there is a lot of confusion. The Police are interpreting the law as they see fit and many bars including the Outback are taking a safe line of no smoking at the actual bar face. We are open air but the second law says that we must provide a non smoking area and a segregated smoking zone. We, like many other bars are waiting to see how the chips fall while keeping very safe. The personal fine is 2,000 baht but the bar fine is 20,000baht for allowing smoking at the bar. No bar is willing to pay that just so that a couple of guys can have a durrie.

CB

So are you a customer at the Outback bar or one of the owners? Because you use the term "We are open air".

I am the manager - not owner

CB

Exactly as I thought a bit of free advertising for 'your' bar in the context of the smoking topic. Other bar owners like myself would be given a 'warning' or a 'holiday' for such a stunt!

Following up on my PM and out of interest - how are you and other bar owners coping with the law?

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

Designated smoking area and where?

cheers

CB

You are correct with the point that there is a lot of confusion. The Police are interpreting the law as they see fit and many bars including the Outback are taking a safe line of no smoking at the actual bar face. We are open air but the second law says that we must provide a non smoking area and a segregated smoking zone. We, like many other bars are waiting to see how the chips fall while keeping very safe. The personal fine is 2,000 baht but the bar fine is 20,000baht for allowing smoking at the bar. No bar is willing to pay that just so that a couple of guys can have a durrie.

CB

So are you a customer at the Outback bar or one of the owners? Because you use the term "We are open air".

CB

Exactly as I thought a bit of free advertising for 'your' bar in the context of the smoking topic. Other bar owners like myself would be given a 'warning' or a 'holiday' for such a stunt!

Following up on my PM and out of interest - how are you and other bar owners coping with the law?

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

cheers

CB

"Following up on my PM and out of interest - how are you and other bar owners coping with the law?"

not heard of anyone getting nicked in the soi 6 area, as of yet, get odd customer complaining, but thats mainly the way staff approach the issue, but so far so good thats why im on here everyday just checking news etc, am waiting for libiya's "20 bars on soi 7 done for smoking ban law"

chris

CB

CB

May I remind all business owners, managers or entrepreneurs that advertising or promoting your business interests on this site requires a sponsorship which can be discussed by contacting [email protected].

As far as your bar begs is concerned you have been given plenty of leeway in the past and many a free plug so I don`t think that you have any reason to grumble :o

Now then Mr Fox can you enlighten me as to your comments on "Leeway" and "Free Plugs". Would Leeway perhaps be the 10% discount I gave Thai Visa and still do on social nights, and would the Free Plugs be the free advertising I gave Thai Visa in all 3 local papers. The word Barter springs to mind rather than Free, please check your facts before engaging a gear.

Best Regards

Bert

CB

CB

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

cheers

CB

We are 100% air con CB however I am lucky in that I have front and back outdoor area's that I have made smoking area's. My only concern now is they may say the front area should be No Smoking as its in view to Non Smokers. The best way to go about it really is invite City Hall down yourself to check and advise. Thats what I intend to do and will report back, King Kong bar of all places did that a while ago, I asked the City Hall guys to check us out but they were tied up with all the smokers in there. There back door faces mine!!!!

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

cheers

CB

We are 100% air con CB however I am lucky in that I have front and back outdoor area's that I have made smoking area's. My only concern now is they may say the front area should be No Smoking as its in view to Non Smokers. The best way to go about it really is invite City Hall down yourself to check and advise. Thats what I intend to do and will report back, King Kong bar of all places did that a while ago, I asked the City Hall guys to check us out but they were tied up with all the smokers in there. There back door faces mine!!!!

Wondering how many bar owners/managers we have on the forum. Perhaps we could organise a night out at one of the bars for a chat and a beer.

The OP asked if anyone had clarification on the law, thats all. Could we please not turn this thread into yet another smoker V non-smoker barrage of drivel.

I've always found pretend-moderators to be irritating.

You can keep it on track. Good luck!

I have removed two irrelevant posts without penalty

Please leave the moderating to those of us who are real ones

thanks guys

CB

You may as well remove my original post seeing you are not giving me the right to reply. Thanks for your late intervention.

CB

CB

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

cheers

CB

"Following up on my PM and out of interest - how are you and other bar owners coping with the law?"

not heard of anyone getting nicked in the soi 6 area, as of yet, get odd customer complaining, but thats mainly the way staff approach the issue, but so far so good thats why im on here everyday just checking news etc, am waiting for libiya's "20 bars on soi 7 done for smoking ban law"

chris

""Following up on my PM and out of interest - how are you and other bar owners coping with the law?"

well, ive still not heard of anyone getting nicked, as of yet, and i have just found a website here in pattaya (well i presume he,s here) that is naming and shaming bars still smoking, that should keep us on our guard if nothing else!

chris

Hey, Chris - I thought the object of most of the bars on Soi Yodsak was to encourage smoking.

Leastways, a lot of people earn their living down there in exactly that way.

:D , I think that kind is still allowed whereas the other isn't.

My place is non smoking btw.

:o

Edited by davethailand

Hey, Chris - I thought the object of most of the bars on Soi Yodsak was to encourage smoking.

Leastways, a lot of people earn their living down there in exactly that way.

:D , I think that kind is still allowed whereas the other isn't.

My place is non smoking btw.

:o

I can confirm this is true as Listerine sales are up 20% in Thailand.

:D

What is the situaton on the ground in pattaya?

Soi 7 & 8, are the outside bars still allowing smoking?

Are all Aircon bars non-smoking?

I hope to return this July and it would be great if smoking was banned everywhere!

perhaps sommeone on the ground could update!

BF

What is the situaton on the ground in pattaya?

Soi 7 & 8, are the outside bars still allowing smoking?

Are all Aircon bars non-smoking?

I hope to return this July and it would be great if smoking was banned everywhere!

perhaps sommeone on the ground could update!

BF

"I hope to return this July and it would be great if smoking was banned everywhere!"

is that so you could then stand outside to talk to smokers, or is it that you want to walk into an empty bar, or is it you would like to see some bars resteraunts etc close down? this would seem a very popular reality in the the uk, no?

chris

Pubs in the UK are great now, we all have equal rights!

Everyone can go out and enjoy a smoke free environment, and sit or stand where they like without having to dodge the smokers!

If someone wants to smoke they go out side. No problem!

If you went home after work and your neighbor was playing loud music, so that you could not hear your own telly or speak to your family, you would think it is inconsiderate. I find a smoke filled room just as much annoying!

remember if you don't like it, there is a sign on the door! "so don't go in"

Pre July smokers were very smug to point this out to me!

BB

is that so you could then stand outside to talk to smokers, or is it that you want to walk into an empty bar, or is it you would like to see some bars resteraunts etc close down? this would seem a very popular reality in the the uk, no?

chris

Edited by Badboldie

CB

CB

Indoor or outdoor?

A/C or Open Air

cheers

CB

Hi Bert just returned back from the states and seen the no smoking ban for the 1st time.

You say that you have a smoking area at the front but you have food tables there

Confused

John

CB

I guess congratulations are in place ... so does that mean the Friday Night Gang have their own private hangout now? :D:D :D

I enjoy going out again, being able to breathe and coming home with clothes that doesn't stink like an ashtray and need to be washed twice to get it out. The few whiners who can't cut their addiction will eventually have to get used to it.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts Phil, cos it won't last long.

Let's just agree to disagree, shall we? :D:o

:D:D

I have been told by a bar owner in Pattaya that if outside bar has three open side to it, you can still smoke! don't know if this is true tho!

Read this on another forum, and thought it might be worth spreading around!

I would have no problem calling it if i found a bar allowing smoking, when they should not!

"If any venues continue to tolerate smoking indoors, please remember that there is a 24-hour number to report violations of this law: 02-590-3342"

I'm still confused. How does this affect Beer Bars and outdoor Beer Gardens.

As they sell beverages they are included. As they don't have aircon they can have a smoking area, IF they install an exhaust system???

Does any of these regulations cover outdoor areas apart from markets or maybe they figure Beer Bars are markets :o

Indeed, totally confusing......TIT

Tom

I would have no problem calling it if i found a bar allowing smoking, when they should not!

"If any venues continue to tolerate smoking indoors, please remember that there is a 24-hour number to report violations of this law: 02-590-3342"

GRASS

Edited by Crow Boy
fixed quote problem

Would you really call that number? You must be bored with your life.

Even as a non-smoker, I wouldn't get involved. I've been in quite a few non-smoking bars recently where people were smoking. I suspect you could be spending a lot of time on your phone complaining.

Edited by tropo

I am happy to report that it's not as serious as we thought it might be.

I was in the Jack Tar bar on soi 6 yesterday watching England and Ireland lose to the Antipodeans at rugby, and whilst this is an open bar we were still forced outside for a smoke due to the proprietor's paranoia.

Between games, and after the second game, we visited about 8 air-conditioned establishments on the same soi, and were allowed to smoke in half of them. Later on Walking Street we visited another 6 air-con joints, and were allowed to smoke in all but 1. Allbeit we had to sit at the back of the bar, and use lippo bottles/ coke cans as ashtrays, but it wasn't a problem.

After speaking to 2 owners on WS, they said that they had come to an 'arrangement' with the BiB, and as long as smokers were confined to the back of the bar it was not a problem. Plus the fact most of these places have 'early warning' systems in place, and if the bright lights come on you put your fag out whilst the girls put their knickers on.

Since this was announced in November, I have consistently said that it will never be enforced, and even in such early days it seems we are winning. Smoke on :o

Even as a non-smoker, I wouldn't get involved. I've been in quite a few non-smoking bars recently where people were smoking. I suspect you could be spending a lot of time on your phone complaining.

Never actually said that my friend, it was a quote from Badboldie. Bad keyboard skills on my behalf, but inattention to detail on yours. I just added the word 'Grass' on the bottom. Try checking the post, others picked it up.

I am not actually bored with my life, but actually think you should try getting out more, as you have tried to take a snipe at me at the first chance, since our slight altercation on the board previously. I'm over it mate, so maybe you should stop being so sad and get over it too.

Edited by sungod

Never actually said that my friend, it was a quote from Badboldie. Bad keyboard skills on my behalf, but inattention to detail on yours. I just added the word 'Grass' on the bottom. Try checking the post, others picked it up.

I am not actually bored with my life, but actually think you should try getting out more, as you have tried to take a snipe at me at the first chance, since our slight altercation on the board previously. I'm over it mate, so maybe you should stop being so sad and get over it too.

It doesn't sound like you're over it yet. You <deleted> up on your post and accuse the replier as having "inattention to detail".

Really, you should get a life "my friend".

Here's my question.

What is the chance of me finding a smoke free environment at my old favorite resteraunt the pig and whistle soi 7 ?

Can I go back there now and enjoy my meal or will sweetchariot be sitting at the back using an old cup of coffee as an ashtray while watching for blue light's and sirens ? :o

It doesn't sound like you're over it yet. You <deleted> up on your post and accuse the replier as having "inattention to detail".

Really, you should get a life "my friend".

Tropo, I see that you have been a subscriber to this Forum for nearly two years.....an old hand by many standards. I would have thought that, by now, you would have realised that this adolescent back chat does nothing to enhance the credibility of this topic. I have read through the postings on this topic several and I can't see where Sungod made the statement that you alleged. Whatever "altercation" exists between the two of you, please go play elsewhere. Thank you............and I hate smoking too!!!

Here's my question.

What is the chance of me finding a smoke free environment at my old favorite resteraunt the pig and whistle soi 7 ?

Can I go back there now and enjoy my meal or will sweetchariot be sitting at the back using an old cup of coffee as an ashtray while watching for blue light's and sirens ? :o

Mate, you are 100% safe in the P&W.

Even me as a smoker will respect anyones rights in a restaurant. When smoking was allowed (both here, and in the UK), I would never smoke in a restaurant.

We are talking about bars here, and some of the 'rules' are beyond silly.

I have been told by a bar owner in Pattaya that if outside bar has three open side to it, you can still smoke! don't know if this is true tho!

"If any venues continue to tolerate smoking indoors, please remember that there is a 24-hour number to report violations of this law: 02-590-3342" :o I will endorse that.

I'm still confused. How does this affect Beer Bars and outdoor Beer Gardens.

As they sell beverages they are included. As they don't have aircon they can have a smoking area, IF they install an exhaust system???

Does any of these regulations cover outdoor areas apart from markets or maybe they figure Beer Bars are markets :D

Indeed, totally confusing......TIT

Tom

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Tropo, I see that you have been a subscriber to this Forum for nearly two years.....an old hand by many standards. I would have thought that, by now, you would have realised that this adolescent back chat does nothing to enhance the credibility of this topic. I have read through the postings on this topic several and I can't see where Sungod made the statement that you alleged. Whatever "altercation" exists between the two of you, please go play elsewhere. Thank you............and I hate smoking too!!!

It was deleted in an edit after my reply.

Thanks for your concern.

Edited by tropo