International Driving Permits?

Does anyone have some basic info on the international driving permits or is better to get a thailand lisc? What does it take to get? how much ? or had i better just stick to the BTS? :o

A Thai license isn't too difficult to obtain if one holds a Non-Immigrant visa of any class. Do a Thaivisa search ... there's a lot of info' posted on the topic.

Best to have the IDP before you apply for the Thai licence,

saves having to repeat thewritten and drving tests.

Astral, you mean someone can take their IDP to the the Thai DL office and simply pay the fees, and get a Thai DL? No driving test or written test?

Best to have the IDP before you apply for the Thai licence,

saves having to repeat thewritten and drving tests.

Astral, you mean someone can take their IDP to the the Thai DL office and simply pay the fees, and get a Thai DL? No driving test or written test?

Yes, that is correct. This worked for my wife too, based on her U.S. license, though it took several tries to get directed to the right counter... they kept assuming she already had a Thai license and wanted an IDP instead of the reverse that she kept requesting. :-)

In addition to the IDP, as a foreigner you need a notarized affidavit from your embassy on which you declare your local Thai residence address "for the purpose of obtaining a Thai driving license". If you are registered as an occupant of your house, the normal Thai documents might suffice...

I read recently that at the drivers' license offices in Thailand, some applicants are required to take vision tests that may include

A: color blindness

B: depth perception (lining up two items using a string pulley)

C: peripheral vision

If I get an IDL based on my still-current home country license, will I have to take all the above vision tests as well?

I have a non-imm B visa and can prove my residence in Thailand.

Thanks.

With a valid IDP you will have to make the test for color blindness.

Somebody will point on a map, you identify and say 'red',

'yellow', 'green'.

As long as you reply these three questions correctly, perhaps in different order (LOL) you passed, at least I did.

So, Axel, are you saying they only gave you the color blindness test, not the other two tests that would be almost impossible for a person with monocular vision?

Correct, PeaceBlondie.

OK, I did it years ago, but my son got the same thing in the same place last

July.

Just go for it, actually it depends on their mood and which station.

Believe you know all documents they want and which station in charge? Otherwise check in Thai visa main site.

I think it depends on the office where you apply.

When I first applied about 10 years ago it was the red, green, blue bit.

More recently my son got his licence and they used proper colour blindness cards

with the embedded numbers.

He is blind to one colour, which explains his strange perception of colour,but still got his licence

after doing the written and driving tests.

With an IDP in hand, it is just the eye tests.

Let's face it the Test in the US or Europe is a lot more rigorous than here!!

Hello there :o

I have a IDP from my home country (Germany) but it is expired since almost a year. Since i am driving a car here, i would like to know if it is actually needed? Or do the driving licenses of some countries qualify?

I ask this because i was involved in two accidents already (both clearly not my fault) and all i had to show to the officers was my german driving license (looks like an ATM card with clearly printed symbols for what i am allowed to drive - normal cars up to 3.5 ton, small trucks up to 3.5 ton, motorbikes of all sizes and construction machinery such as backhoes etc). I had the IDP with me then but the officers wouldn't even look at it, not even after the first accident where the truck that rammed me wasn't insured and the driver w/o license, so we had to go to the station and fill in some paperwork. Again, only my german license was required.

Also i have been stopped a few times for "violations" such as crossing a white line (my fault really) or "jumping a red light" even tough there was none.... never asked for the IDP, always happy with the german one.

I am soon needing a new passport anyway (it's full with cambodian visas) so when i go to the embassy, i can get that residency verification thingy there, and can i still use my (expired!) IDP to get a thai one w/o having to do the tests? And - does it take a non-immigrant visa to obtain one? I've heared from several people different things, i.e. "yes, non-immigrant is required" and "no, border stamp is ok". That guy in fact GOT his thai license in fact without having a visa, just a cambodia-stamp.

Any advise here..?

Regards

Thanh

Hello there :o

I have a IDP from my home country (Germany) but it is expired since almost a year. Since i am driving a car here, i would like to know if it is actually needed? Or do the driving licenses of some countries qualify?

I ask this because i was involved in two accidents already (both clearly not my fault) and all i had  to show to the officers was my german driving license (looks like an ATM card with clearly printed symbols for what i am allowed to drive - normal cars up to 3.5 ton, small trucks up to 3.5 ton, motorbikes of all sizes and construction machinery such as backhoes etc). I had the IDP with me then but the officers wouldn't even look at it, not even after the first accident where the truck that rammed me wasn't insured and the driver w/o license, so we had to go to the station and fill in some paperwork. Again, only my german license was required.

Also i have been stopped a few times for "violations" such as crossing a white line (my fault really) or "jumping a red light" even tough there was none.... never asked for the IDP, always happy with the german one.

I am soon needing a new passport anyway (it's full with cambodian visas) so

when i go to the embassy, i can get that residency verification thingy there, and can i still use my (expired!) IDP to get a thai one w/o having to do the tests? And - does it take a non-immigrant visa to obtain one? I've heared from several people different things, i.e. "yes, non-immigrant is required" and "no, border stamp is ok". That guy in fact GOT his thai license in fact without having a visa, just a cambodia-stamp.

Any advise here..?

Regards

Thanh

You cannot drive in Thailand on a Thailand issued IDP. Get a Thai license.

The rules are clearly explained above.

You need a non-immigrant visa and a valid IDP, otherwise full test.

(Add , of course allthe other papers and copies shown in Thai Visa main site)

I still would go with all the papers and photocopies and ASK. Was your IDP for 1 or for 3 years? (Germany issues both and not clearly show expiry date.)

Don't mention, just let them study all the papers. If failed, can't be helped.

The officers on the street are a different story, one fellow insisted to give me a ticket no cash on the spot. I told him that I have no licence, in lieu he accepted a name card.

But bear in mind, in a serious accident the insurance might pull out if you do not have a valid Thai-licence. It's in the small print.

But bear in mind, in a serious accident the insurance might pull out if you do not have a valid Thai-licence. It's in the small print.

Not just 'might' not pay off.... My policy states clearly that only a Thai DL is valid...Not an IDP.

The rules are clearly explained above.

(Add , of course allthe other papers and copies shown in Thai Visa main site)

I still would go with all the papers and photocopies and ASK. Was your IDP for 1 or for 3 years? (Germany issues both and not clearly show expiry date.)

Don't mention, just let them study all the papers. If failed, can't be helped.

Last week I successfully obtained my Thai license from the main centre in Bangkok. I had everything except a valid IDP, but for some reason did not have to take any driving test or written exams - only the colour blindness, depth perception and reaction test.

I guess this was the exception that proves the rule, or maybe it was the combination of lots of smiling, a UK passport and an expired IDP from 1995!!!! :o

Rags

I applied for a Thai licence 12 months ago in Pattaya. I required a letter from Immigration stating I was allowed a licence (non imm O visa), actually 2 letters as I wanted car and bike licence. One was a copy of the other @500 baht each. Photos, copy of visa page and photo page of passport. Also a letter from doctor stating I was fit, 100 baht.

As I had a IDP for a car I recieved a car licence without any tests but had to do the written and practical test for bike.

The colour blind test was a disc about 3 foot in diam with red, green, blue and yellow circles on it.

My travel insurance will only cover me in Thailand if I have a current IDP or Thai licence.

John

Axel, when I applied for my Thai drivers license in '94 I only had a translation of my German drivers license (issued in '74) endorsed by the embassy, certificate of residence issued by embassy and Non-Imm - O visa. Only test required was the colour test.

I had an IDP but it expierd in '84; drove in LOS on this IDP for 10 years. Never had any problem at regular checkpoints (officers couldn't understand what's written in the book!?!). But an accident would have put me in a very tight spot, fortunately it never happened.

opalhort

opalhort, I fully believe this, that's why I suggested as well to go there with all documents in hand, incl. an expired IDP.

Myself was driving for years on IDP's (issued in Hong Kong) but finally made up my mind to get a Thai licence in or around '95. Went myself to Sukhumvit office, talked to the lady at the counter whoi refused to accept my German, Swiss and Hong Kong licences. Told me only US, UK and International.

We know it's nonsense :o , but I took her word, brought my IDP in, which she tried to refuse as well, 'only US/UK, not Hong Kong'

Argued a bit, 'you told me international, this is an international one'.

A big sigh, 'ok you go upstairs, color test'.

50 minutes later I had my Thai licence in hand.

One of the things I like in LoS, nearly everything is possible as long as you look helpless and talk...

opalhort, I fully believe this, that's why I suggested as well to go there with all documents in hand, incl. an expired IDP.

Myself was driving for years on IDP's (issued in Hong Kong) but finally made up my mind to get a Thai licence in or around '95. Went myself to Sukhumvit office, talked to the lady at the counter whoi refused to accept my German, Swiss and Hong Kong licences. Told me only US, UK and International.

We know it's nonsense  :o , but I took her word, brought my IDP in, which she tried to refuse as well, 'only US/UK, not Hong Kong'

Argued a bit, 'you told me international, this is an international one'.

A big sigh, 'ok you go upstairs, color test'.

50 minutes later I had my Thai licence in hand.

One of the things I like in LoS, nearly everything is possible as long as you look helpless and talk...

You are a persuasive old bugger Axel. :D

• 4 weeks later...
So, Axel, are you saying they only gave you the color blindness test, not the other two tests that would be almost impossible for a person with monocular vision?

Just dredging up this old thread to correct something. I got my Thai license at the main department of land transport office in Bangkok today based on IDP. They now require you to do color vision, reaction time, depth perception, and color peripheral vision tests in this case. They said it was a new policy as of August 1. There is still no written or practical driving skills or knowledge test when you hold a valid IDP from another country.

As for the proof of address requirement, they said that a work permit was fine but would mean that the address on the work permit (business location) would be on the license. A sworn statement from your embassy is only required if you have no work permit or if you prefer to list a different address on your license than what is shown on the work permit.

I read recently that at the drivers' license offices in Thailand, some applicants are required to take vision tests that may include

A: color blindness

B: depth perception (lining up two items using a string pulley)

C: peripheral vision

Sorry, am I still in Thailand??!! No way could Thai drivers pass this sort of test!!!

I had an IDP but it expierd in '84; drove in LOS on this IDP for 10 years.  Never had  any problem at regular checkpoints (officers couldn't understand what's written in the book!?!).

Get the Thai licence, but don't throw away those old IDP's, they have a use.

If a policeman stops you, and it is a scam, as it often is. He will ask for your licence, so give him an old IDP.

It is very unlikely he will notice it has expired.

He can then keep the licence and you keep your money!! :o

Does anyone have some basic info on the international driving permits or is better to get a thailand lisc?  What does it take to get? how much ? or had i better just stick to the BTS?  :o

QUOTE (Rangsit @ Fri 2004-05-28, 22:13:57)

With a non-immigrant "O" visa, can l keep using a current International license?

Can l apply for a Thai license?

I got my Thai driver's license earlier this year: these are the steps (for Americans...but it is probably the same for most nationalities). If you are on a tourist visa you only need your IDL. If you have a non-immigrant visa you should get a Thai license as, otherwise, you might not have insurance coverage. The steps are pretty easy once you have the paperwork in hand (make copies before you arrive at the office). The doctor's certificate is quite easy to get...are you alive?

THAI DRIVER'S LICENCES

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

Just got my Thai license today here in Chiag Mai. I required the following:

• Completed application form

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• Internaional drivers permit and copy

they showed no interest in my stateside license even though the IDP requires a valid license from your country to be valid

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the Thai Immigration office 300 baht)

• A fee of 105 Baht

I was also required to do a color blindness, depth perception, and perepheral vision test

in and out with license in hand in less than an hour