Thai Teaching Work Permit [b]

Hi,

Hypothetically speaking, if a foreigner teaches at a place of employment and then finds himself having to go back to his native homeland for unforseen circumstances, (i.e. death in the family, and so forth) what happens to the status of the visa, and does the passport holder have to re-apply for the teaching permit upon re-entry to Thailand? And if the teacher ceases to teach, which happens from time to time, are they without a valid visa stamp as the teaching permit is no longer valid, or are they restricted to continue to work in any post in Thailand, is this correct? It is a teaching permit and not a work permit, correct? Any facts or clues will help greatly. I reside in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa 'O' stamped in the passport.

Edited by pattaya001

As I understand things:

If the wp and visa aren't cancelled by the school, just obtain a re-entry stamp at an immigration office before you leave and when you return everything is still valid.

if you break your contract and the school cancels your wp, you lose the wp regardless of leaving the country.

If your visa is a non-imm 'O' based on marriage to a Thai citizen, then you won't lose the visa.

I know it is not easy to look ahead without a crystal ball:

In this instance, it appears that a teacher to make good, must take every opportunity to select numerous teaching schools that have sound credentials, and are likley to take on board, support teachers with paper qualifactions and/ or teachers without papers on the success of their probationary period. However, I do hesitate to what end they make the call, if they cancel a teachers WP, or do they do this in limited circumstances given they are cautionary to offer a WP in the first instance? If the school offer the teacher a WP, they must believe in the teacher, is it that obvious, any contradictions here or in the schools governance?

Edited by pattaya001

The visa allows you to stay in the country. The Workpermit allows you to work during your stay. Like Loaded said, you can ask for a reentry permit and go and return to Thailand. Your visa only will stop if you don't return to Thailand before the date were upon you are permitted to stay and extend it. Otherwise you can just return on the reentry permit.

The school can't issue a Workpermit, nor cancel your WP. A workpermit is given bij the department of labour and you have to keep it, not your school. Most school want to keep the WP of their teachers, but it is yours!

The school can however terminate your contract and then you will have to return the WP to the labour office. Losing your WP means that you have one day to leave the country. For 1900 baht you can get an extension of stay for up to 7 days, either to get a job or move out of the country.

However, if you are on your initinal visa and don't have an extension of stay yet, you can stay until the date you are permitted to stay.

I understood from another tread that you are married to a Thai national and living with her in Thailand. That means you don't have to worry about your visa if you lose your WP. Your right to stay is based on your marriage, not on your work So if you would lose your job and WP you would not have to leave the country the same day. You can stay until the renewel date of your visa and extend your visa if you can show a family income (you and your wife combined) of 40,000 per month.