Mr. Coffee 120 Vs 220 Volts

jjrbus

I tried and tried, but I can't abide coffee in LOS. So on this my second trip, I would like to bring several pounds of my favorite brew and a Mr. Coffee. My question is, how do I go from US 120 volts to Thai 220 volts? The adaptors I could find here in the USA, say they are for dual voltage appliances. Would it be so simple as rewireing the coffee maker, with a Thai plug, useing 1 leg of the 120 with the ground and common going to the ground?

Thanks in advance, 2 days and a liftoff Jim,, Buffalo NY

Why not buy the coffee maker here? They do sell them. They also sell fresh ground coffee or many kinds.

Thailand does not use two 120 lines to make 220v. The voltage IS 220v on the one wire. So you would have to reduce the voltage with a transformer. If the coffee maker was just resistive that could be in the form of a small adapter about the size of an ad/dc converter sold at department stores in the US. But one mistake and plug in without the transformer/adapter and it will be history. Plugs here in Thailand for normal use are the same as in the USA so it would be easy to make that mistake.

I tried and tried, but I can't abide coffee in LOS. So on this my second trip, I would like to bring several pounds of my favorite brew and a Mr. Coffee. My question is, how do I go from US 120 volts to Thai 220 volts? The adaptors I could find here in the USA, say they are for dual voltage appliances. Would it be so simple as rewireing the coffee maker, with a Thai plug, useing 1 leg of the 120 with the ground and common going to the ground?

Thanks in advance, 2 days and a liftoff  Jim,, Buffalo        NY

Most transformers you buy, probably can't handle the power consumed by a coffee pot. It would be SO much easier buying a coffee pot in Thailand. In fact, you can probably get one for the price of the transformer you would need to buy.

Forget it. You are just asking for problems. Buy one here. Dont try and rewire it either as the cores might not be big enough to the volts. Thus leading to wires breaking and be coming a fire hazard. Buy one here. I expect they are cheaper anyway. Also consider the plunger idea.