Thai Airways Increases Fuel Surcharges

george

Thai Airways increases Fuel Surcharges; to Suspend Bangkok-New York Flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International is adjusting its fuel surcharge on international and domestic flights, effective 25 June 2008, due to the massive increases in the price of jet fuel.

The company has adjusted its fuel surcharge for international and domestic flights, calculated on all classes of passenger travel on THAI flights and air tickets issued by THAI’s sales and ticketing offices worldwide, which is based on the policy agreed upon by the Civil Aviation Department for commercial airlines and includes agreements with other countries, as follows:

Impose the fuel surcharge rate of US$ 60 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok-Hanoi, Bangkok-Vientiane, Bangkok-Phnom Penh, Bangkok-Penang, Bangkok-Yangon, Hong Kong-Taipei, Dubai-Kuwait, Chiang Mai-Kunming, and the route between Bodhgaya-Varanasi.

US$ 75 per sector, on the return routes Bangkok-Singapore and Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur.

US$ 90 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Kunming, Bangkok-Guangzhou, Bangkok-Dhaka, Bangkok-Kolkata, Bangkok-Brunei, Bangkok-Hong Kong, Bangkok-Chittagong, including the route between Taipei-Seoul.

US$ 105 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Bangalore, Bangkok-Hyderabad, Bangkok-Chennai, Bangkok-Bodhgaya, Bangkok-Varanasi, Bangkok-Jakarta, Bangkok-Manila, Bangkok-Chengdu, Bangkok-Colombo, Bangkok-Kathmandu, Bangkok-Xiamen, Bangkok-Hyderabad, Bangkok-Taipei, Manila-Osaka and Hong Kong-Seoul.

US$ 146 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Perth, Bangkok-Denpasar, Bangkok-Muscat, Bangkok-Islamabad, Bangkok-Delhi, Bangkok-Mumbai, Bangkok-Kuwait, Bangkok-Dubai, Bangkok-Karachi, Bangkok-Lahore, Bangkok-Beijing, Bangkok-Shanghai, Perth-Phuket and Chennai-Dubai.

US$ 152 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Tokyo, Bangkok-Osaka, Bangkok-Nagoya, Bangkok-Fukuoka, Bangkok-Seoul, and Bangkok-Busan.

US$ 185 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Melbourne, Bangkok-Sydney, and Bangkok-Brisbane.

US$ 210 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-Auckland, Bangkok-Munich, Bangkok-Milan, Bangkok-Rome, Bangkok-Athens, Bangkok-Copenhagen, Bangkok-Stockholm, Bangkok-Zurich, Bangkok-Moscow, Bangkok-Johannesburg and Bangkok-Frankfurt.

US$ 230 per sector, on the return routes: Bangkok-London, Bangkok-Paris and Bangkok-Madrid.

US$ 281 per sector, on the return route Bangkok-New York and Bangkok-Los Angeles.

The airline will suspend its flights on the return route Bangkok-New York, effective 1 July 2008.

As for domestic flights on all sectors, Thai Airways will collect a fuel surcharge rate of THB 850 per sector, excluding the route Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son whereby THB 600 will be collected per sector.

--Asia Travel Tips 2008-06-13

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Anybody know what happens when youve got an open return ticket - will they charge you at the airport or is the surcharge on 'new' tickets

Thanks

JohnB

Never heard of that happeneing and never experienced it myself. Once you have paid and have your ticket it is valid for the duration of the terms that it applies to. Usuallythat's a year on a standard open ticket.

Hi

Anybody know what happens when youve got an open return ticket - will they charge you at the airport or is the surcharge on 'new' tickets

Thanks

JohnB

I shouldn't think so. You have already paid for it and the ticket has been issued. I might be wrong though... :o

This will sure help tourism and all related facets of the domestic economy!

I, for one, loved the New York to Bangkok flight. I've gone the cheap route, and it takes some endurance. In fact, since I live in Ohio, most people of western origin I know prefer that route if they can afford it. Oh, well, I guess.

The days of cheap flight from Europe, America to Thailand may well be over and not just on TG.

It was very cheap though with prices as low as 350 GBP to be had and an average of around 500 GBP

It was more expensive than that in the ealy 80's I think - anyone?

The extra 100 SGD will not be much of a bother for us down here though - plenty of choice

Hi

Thanks

JohnB

When I recently returned (May 18th) from London Heathrow on a 6 months open ticket, Eva Air requested £40 from me for additional fuel charges. When i challenged the extra charge they suddenly dropped their request.

I spoke to other passengers on the aircraft who were returning within 4 weeks of the original booking and it appeared that none had been requested to pay any additional fuel costs.

Like myself you should be ok but stand your ground if/when requested.

Richard

The days of cheap flight from Europe, America to Thailand may well be over and not just on TG.

It was very cheap though with prices as low as 350 GBP to be had and an average of around 500 GBP

Too right those days are over, very little under £500 now.

In may 2005 i paid £300 inc. all taxes! (Forgotten which airline)

Bangkok-London-Bangkok: Charges 230USD EXTRA for aviation fuel increases... Hmmmm... Say 400 Passengers on a 747-400 on average: 400x230USD = 92,000 USD. The distance Bangkok to London and back to Bangkok is approx. 12,000 Miles. So thats an exta of 7.67 USD per Mile! Does anybody have an idea of how much fuel a 747-400 needs per Mile? And how much is a liter of aviation fuel. Just wondering :o

Hi

Thanks

JohnB

When I recently returned (May 18th) from London Heathrow on a 6 months open ticket, Eva Air requested £40 from me for additional fuel charges. When i challenged the extra charge they suddenly dropped their request.

I spoke to other passengers on the aircraft who were returning within 4 weeks of the original booking and it appeared that none had been requested to pay any additional fuel costs.

Richard

Thats interesting - thanks Richard

Johnb

Bangkok-London-Bangkok: Charges 230USD EXTRA for aviation fuel increases... Hmmmm... Say 400 Passengers on a 747-400 on average: 400x230USD = 92,000 USD. The distance Bangkok to London and back to Bangkok is approx. 12,000 Miles. So thats an exta of 7.67 USD per Mile! Does anybody have an idea of how much fuel a 747-400 needs per Mile? And how much is a liter of aviation fuel. Just wondering :o

If I'm reading it correctly its $230 per sector i.e. $460 for the round trip

Johnb

Yes normally you pay the surcharge at the airport or when you confirm your ticket. It is has nothing to do with already having a ticket, it is a SURCHARGE so it is collected up and above the ticket price you already paid.

It sounds like a pretty hefty surcharge which will price Thai airways out of the market. But that is fine. As long as governments are allowed to fool around with (partially) private companies like they do with the PTT. According Airbus their new A 380 consumes 3 liter per 70 mile per passenger. It seems that an Boeing 747 is doing 30% more per mile.

Johnb

747-400 Fuel consumption approx .040 Kgm per passenger Km that is 262 seats. It varys slightly with distance, further is like .045 kgm

Should be able to work it out from that.

is that additional to the existing fuel surcharge? or its the new surcharge?if , its additonal, then what can I say? holy coww!!

In addition it looks like - bunch of muppets running TG, other airlines will just have their business.

i also dnt understand why TG is apparantly losing, when compare to other airlines, their seat occupancies are almost 80 to 90% full.

This will sure help tourism and all related facets of the domestic economy!

Thai should stop using aircraft which are not fuel efficient (A345 & A346) and use more fuel efficient like the boeing 777LR. These surcharges amount to a 60-70% increase in ticket prices and not many farang will be able to cope with that. I usually make 4-5 trips a year from California to BKK, but now i can see maybe 2. Good luck Thai economy!

Maybe some of the girls at Nana will have to revisit their rice planting skills!

Johnb

I wondered about that too...whether they meant that surcharge price applying to each way or the entire roundtrip flight....

They used the term "per sector," which I don't recognize in American-speak. But if they meant the same as "per segment", that would mean that surcharge amount for each one-way segment.

What the hel_l is "per sector"????

It was more expensive than that in the ealy 80's I think - anyone?

The extra 100 SGD will not be much of a bother for us down here though - plenty of choice

Do not worry, as soon as TG increase will take place, all other airlines will do the same. This already happened with EVA and JAL and all smaller private airlines followed immediately. Nobody want to lose money. I bet Bangkok Airways will be next. It is strange that Air Asia holding their move, they must run pretty good profit margin to be able to hold on surcharge increase.

based on $4.00 per gal (1.06 ltr) fuel cost and a distance of 8263miles (13,298km) and using .040Kgm of fuel per passenger Km in a 747-400 with 262seats the fuel cost per person will be roughly $530 or $139,122 for the 262 passengers.

So to mean anything you have to know how many$ were plugged into the original ticket for fuel.

I booked a BKK-LAX-BKK flight on TG through my travel agent a few weeks ago. I paid for the ticket then but it hasn't been issued yet. After reading this news I talked to the agent, who says that it's not true you have to pay the surcharges if the ticket isn't issued before the 25th, only if it isn't booked before the 25th. My agent has never been wrong in the past on issues like these, but I'm a tad concerned.

Hi

Thanks

JohnB

Richard

Thats interesting - thanks Richard

Johnb

anyone know what thai ais is doing for nyc to bkk ticket holders after 7/1/08?

It sounds like a pretty hefty surcharge which will price Thai airways out of the market. But that is fine. As long as governments are allowed to fool around with (partially) private companies like they do with the PTT. According Airbus their new A 380 consumes 3 liter per 70 mile per passenger. It seems that an Boeing 747 is doing 30% more per mile.

I will be out with an Airbus A380 Engineer tomorrow night who they have put in Singapore to hold the SIA hands and will have a chat with him about it.

is that additional to the existing fuel surcharge? or its the new surcharge?if , its additonal, then what can I say? holy coww!!

In addition it looks like - bunch of muppets running TG, other airlines will just have their business.

i also dnt understand why TG is apparantly losing, when compare to other airlines, their seat occupancies are almost 80 to 90% full.

Do not the Directors and all distant memebers of the family get free first class everywhere.

I remember reading about the unlimited Amex spends of the Directors too - then there will be the normal corruption

Sing Air are making circa a billion dollar profit in comparison