Italian Restaurant

WMHand

Would anyone happen to know if they have opened the new Italian Restaurant beside the Shangrala Hotel? It is located off Changklan right beside the new Peaks Mall.

If they've opened it how is the food? :o

Wilmar

Would anyone happen to know if they have opened the new Italian Restaurant beside the Shangrala Hotel? It is located off Changklan right beside the new Peaks Mall.

Wilmar

The name of the place Da Mattia, www.damattia-restaurant.pw9.org/ . I have been there twice, about 4 months apart. The food is astonishingly bad. The first time we ordered some seafood pasta, which was tasteless, served with old hard bread and bread sticks. The dipping sauce was about as exiting as water.

The second time I ordered a tuna salad and my friend ordered lasagna. The salad was simply some mix of greens, and the tuna was probably just dumped right out the can. The oil was all over. I thought I could even make this better, and I am a terrible chief.

My friend's lasagna was no better then ready made micro wave stuff from the frozen section in Macro. Grease, tasteless and definitely very far of being fresh or made by someone who knows what food is about.

Interestingly, I noticed that both times I was there, very few people were in the restaurant and the Italian chief was sitting or pacing in front of his restaurant. I guess he is not following the golden rule that a chiefs place is in the kitchen!

I will not visit the place again, as the selection of Italian restaurants with quality food is quite good in Chiang Mai, such as Stefano, Buenissimo (Sergio) or Georgio.

It's actually a nice little soi for food - maybe not Italian food but... - there's a black canyon, a popular Cantonese place next to Mattia, oppisite is a fish restaurant and at the end of the soi is a really good Thai restaurant that has very comfortable private rooms with attached toilet for karaoke, albeit hi-so karaoke.

Edited by Loaded

You might also be talking about Osteria Wald, which fits your location description just as well. I dined there last night with friends, excellent food and service. As the name implies, wine is the focus and Wald maintains an impressive wine list. It's co-owned by a Dutchman and an Italian chef. Very pleasant atmosphere and not too expensive. I'd like to dine there two or three more times before coming to any definitive opinions but last night's meal was a good experience, with mixed salad, tuna carpaccio, pasta putanesca, bruscheta and a seafood pasta the name of which I forget.

Osteria Wald used to be in Kad Farang on the Hang Dong Rd, but has moved to the Twin Peaks/Shangri-La area very recently.

Wilmar

I am sure all these posts are well intentioned, but can we have a bit of geographical accuracy and nomenclature injected here, otherwise someone risks being criticised unjustifiably?

The 'soi' on the southern side of the new Shangri-La Hotel (non city end) is in fact Changklan Shopping Plaza, owned and opened by the wife of our dear former Mayor. In there on the left is the Italian criticised in this thread, opposite Siam Seafood run by the former head waiter at Mo-Oh-Cha in Anusorn Market. He is rightly doing very well (and his previous place continues so to do, too).

On the northern (city) side of the big new hotel is a narrow, anonymous soi leading to the confusing plethora of Twin Peaks places. You need to recce this on foot as you'd never see the turning in bright sunshine or by street lighting. Just in there on the right is the place recommended here, plaudits which I've heard myself and tend to believe.

If we want to help fellow readers and well deserving small businesses in these very hard times, can we try to be as specific as the mods will allow?

Indeed it's a small soi where Wald is, it's really the very last opportunity to take a left before you get to the Shangri La (when coming from town)

The good news though is that there is a good sized parking area (Look for the sign; the restaurant is on the right, parking area on the left)

I will definitely be back.

I am a fan of the spaghetti bolognese at Da Mattia.

It is not the most orthodox version (a little too greasy) but it tastes great.

I have also tried some other dishes at Da Mattia which were indeed not so impressive, but if you feel like a spaghetti bolognese with a 'home cooking' touch would hit the spot I'd still recommend it.

In general, I love the food at Buonissimo but spaghetti bolognese and lasagna are not their parade dishes. Beautiful fish and lamb dishes though.

the missus loves fettuccine carbonara ... any recommended places?

Pum Pui serves very good fetuccini carbonara and also very yummy pensotti . $ = :o

Talking about Da Mattia, a bit pricy $$$, but I had delicious gnocchis there, probably the best I've ever had.

Never been there, but I've also heard good comments about Arcoballeno.

the missus loves fettuccine carbonara ... any recommended places?

Georgio makes a good cream sauce with bacon but adds some tomato sauce and chilie. It is not carbonara but has some similar characteristics and you can get it with fettuccine.

Since now Da Mattia is the only real italian taste that i found in chiang mai I had two experiences one night I had A pasta absolutely the more tasty and well cooked had since now in all thailand and was a simple carbonara....

The second time I had a pizza And even they don't have a wood owen I had the more crispy and thin pizza since than.

I have to disappoint you all fan of Giorgio but I had a fettuccini with porcini mushroom in his place and the mushroom were dry mushroom

and since then no problem ,but the porcini were still dry in my sauce ,a creamy sauce ,that is the enemy number one of the porcini.

And even the pizza I order a margarita was full of oregano and as much as i know there is no oregano in Margarita but only sweet basil.