Raleigh Bicycles In Bangkok

Joris

I see quite a few Raleigh bicycles on sale in Bangkok. At astonishing prices, too. Are they really Raleighs, or about the same as the famous Pratunam Panerai watches? Can anyone tell me where I can find the importer or the main assembler here in Bangkok of these (Thai) Raleighs?

Thanks,

Joris

Edited by Joris

WE had this topic not long ago,. Someone asked about the bikes and how good they should be. Because he had pedals drops off etc. I am unable to exctly remember what make of bike it was. Someone may still have the make of the bike too hand

I used to be a cyclist years ago, even travelled over many parts of the UK, Youth Hostelling, alas, not anymore

:o

WE had this topic not long ago,. Someone asked about the bikes and how good they should be. Because he had pedals drops off etc. I am unable to exctly remember what make of bike it was. Someone may still have the make of the bike too hand

I used to be a cyclist years ago, even travelled over many parts of the UK, Youth Hostelling, alas, not anymore

:o

Well, why don't you? Look at http://www.covankessel.com. Cycling smack in the heart of Bangkok can be really good. I've done it many times.

The 'Thai' Raleighs are okay, but of course not exactly top of the line. The brakes are downright cheap, no gears and quite heavy. But what do you expect for Bt around Bt. 4000? As most shops in Mahachak sell them, there must be somebody assembling or importing them.

Raleigh ceased production in Nottingham many years ago. Their former site is now part of Nottingham University. I was born about a mile away from there. Please read Alan Silitoe's classic "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" for a good description of the area and my early life too! My father worked at Raleigh, albeit briefly.

Raleigh stopped being the genuine artical when they ceased production in Nottingham. The name Raleigh might still exist but the made in China label spoils the good name of Raleigh. :o

Spoils whatever it's put on. Why we're trying so hard to make them rich and powerful. I will never understand.

Raleigh gas piping................ :o

Check out good cycling shops with mountain bikes, and expect to pay 10K upwards

Well maybe the Chinese versions are, but I have five Raleigh Team bikes (two road bikes, two track bikes and a low profile time trial special) built to measure by Gerald O'Donavan's team at Raleigh Ilkeston - all beautiful machines.

Whatever if Raleigh still excists in Thailand/China or not. The real issue for me is wether you can still buy a descent city bike for an old/60 fart like me. Not the sturdy postman's bike from China or that typical 2,500 Baht girls bike, but just an all day easy going bike to drive along the countryside. No, not an ATB...been there.

There used to be one shop in Chiang Mai (Chiang Moi Road), that sold a Raleigh men's bike for 8,000 Baht.

Looked really good, drum brakes, simple Sturmey Archer, front and back lights (imagine that) and most of all a 'brooks' saddle. Cool, that's the bike I want to buy after my holidays abroad.

As things go in Thailand, you saw this bike 2 months ago and decided to buy one. Once you get to that very shop, the bike is hardly known, not available anymore or whatever exquise they can come up with.

If you know this kind of bike and know a shop holding one in stock...pls PM me.