Thai Marriage Vows

eggomaniac

"To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part."

What, if any, vows or promises are exchanged in a traditional Thai wedding ceremony? I am writing an essay on various religious and/or cultural ceremonies.

I already have information on legal aspects of marriage and some information on the ceremony, including picking the day by astrology. Google has not been able to direct me what the bride and groom actually say, or promise.

I am on the edge of my chair waiting for the responses this question will bring. If memory serves correctly the couple say nothing, the monks do all the chanting, stinging etc, during the actual ceremony. The say and promise part will probably be filled in by some of TV's regulars.

There are now marriage vows in a Thai wedding. Early in the morning the monks will come and pray to bless the wedding. At the end you offer the monks food.

Than at a later time that day you get married by the parents and both the bride and groom are connected together with a robe around their heads. Next every one will bless the couple by pouring water over your hands and it is party time.

"To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part."

What, if any, vows or promises are exchanged in a traditional Thai wedding ceremony? I am writing an essay on various religious and/or cultural ceremonies.

I already have information on legal aspects of marriage and some information on the ceremony, including picking the day by astrology. Google has not been able to direct me what the bride and groom actually say, or promise.

No vows at all.

The amphur registers the marriage as a purely bureaucratic procedure, with no 'ceremony' or input beyond signatures by the bride and groom, and some kind words by the boss as she hands over the two certificates. Go to the amphur with the right documents, hand them over and you should be legally married within 15 minutes. It is often regarded as a necessary nuisance by the (Thai) lady, and it doesn't matter whether you visit the amphur or have the informal ceremony first.

Then, whether or not monks are present at the informal ceremony, which may be as far away as a month either side of the marriage registration and involve any combo of traditional rituals, personal experience in village affairs suggests the guests are more interested in the food and booze and how much sinsot (less one baht) and gold is going to change hands than what either party thinks of the other.

No vows at all.

The amphur registers the marriage as a purely bureaucratic procedure, with no 'ceremony' or input beyond signatures by the bride and groom, and some kind words by the boss as she hands over the two certificates. Go to the amphur with the right documents, hand them over and you should be legally married within 15 minutes. It is often regarded as a necessary nuisance by the (Thai) lady, and it doesn't matter whether you visit the amphur or have the informal ceremony first.

Then, whether or not monks are present at the informal ceremony, which may be as far away as a month either side of the marriage registration and involve any combo of traditional rituals, personal experience in village affairs suggests the guests are more interested in the food and booze and how much sinsot (less one baht) and gold is going to change hands than what either party thinks of the other.

amphur registers the marriage as a purely bureaucratic procedure,

otherwise it aint LEGAL....init....

Marriage vows is a western invention (roman catholic?)

No such thing in Thailand - except if you are a Christian or Catholic.

Marriage vows is a western invention (roman catholic?)

No such thing in Thailand - except if you are a Christian or Catholic.

Correct to a degree, but a loose interpritation (at my wedding at least) of vows came at the reception wherein we were both asked by the emcee what we 'promised' to each other.

It is good to see the various posters weighing in with the truth about 'official' marriages.

Thai weddings; henceforth referred to as a "dog & pony show" are the ones with the Sin-Sod, the gold, the food, the monks, the mop string tied to each of the couple's wrists, the procession with the small trees, musicians, chanting, ad nauseam. It has NOTHING to do with the 'official' marriage done at the local Amphur.

The registration of marriage at the Amphur is just bureaucratic paperwork, but it is what registers the marriage. Many foreigners I know have done the "dog and pony show" but never bothered to register it at their local Amphur in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

When foreigner's marry thais it is quite common to incorporate some of the traditions of foreign weddings as well; vows, altering the ceremony some, etc, but the real wedding is the paperwork at the Amphur, not the "dog and pony show".

It is good to see the various posters weighing in with the truth about 'official' marriages.

Thai weddings; henceforth referred to as a "dog & pony show" are the ones with the Sin-Sod, the gold, the food, the monks, the mop string tied to each of the couple's wrists, the procession with the small trees, musicians, chanting, ad nauseam. It has NOTHING to do with the 'official' marriage done at the local Amphur.

The registration of marriage at the Amphur is just bureaucratic paperwork, but it is what registers the marriage. Many foreigners I know have done the "dog and pony show" but never bothered to register it at their local Amphur in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

When foreigner's marry thais it is quite common to incorporate some of the traditions of foreign weddings as well; vows, altering the ceremony some, etc, but the real wedding is the paperwork at the Amphur, not the "dog and pony show".

Many Thais don't register their marriage either, because they don't want legal "complications". There are only a few good reasons for a foreigner to register their marriage either. First & foremost is, if they want to take their "blushing bride" back home to live.

Thai marriage vows:

Do you Sir? agree to take this woman in holy matrimony, promise to financially support her, her family and odd hanger on Thai boyfriend for the rest of their lives, and give her all your assets if you become cheesed off with the marriage or she decides to dump you later on: I do.

Do you Madam? agree to take this man in holy matrimony, let yourself be financially supported by this sad old naive Farang without actually having to work yourself for a duration until you have cleaned out all his funds: I do.

I now pronounce you, husband and wife.

Edited by distortedlink

Thai marriage vows:

Do you Sir? agree to take this woman in holy matrimony, promise to financially support her, her family and odd hanger on Thai boyfriend for the rest of their lives, and give her all your assets if you become cheesed off with the marriage or she decides to dump you later on: I do.

Do you Madam? agree to take this man in holy matrimony, let yourself be financially supported by this sad old naive Farang without actually having to work yourself for a duration until you have cleaned out all his funds: I do.

I now pronounce you, husband and wife.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes those were our vows exactly!

How did you do that?! :o