Thai Marriage

spitfire

hello to everyone in this fantastic topic,

I am 27,bulgarian man and just married to a 26 thai woman and we live in Bulgaria. Soon we have to go to Thailand to make the marriage party and i am wondering how much money should i give to her parents according to thai culture?

Please give me some ideas because i don't have any.

Thank you very much.

congratulation on the wedding.

About the sin sod (sin sot) I suggest you do some searches on the forum as it has been covered A LOT!!!

Basically, lots of differing opinions ont he subject but Iwould speak with your wife about it.

As has been explained to me by my thai husband, sin sot is paid for a women never before married, without chidlren & the amount given depends on her social/financial/educational situation & generaly the sin sot is only for show, the family will return the money to the couple after it has been "shown off" to the family & neighbours to show what a good son in law he is & how he can support his wife. This is shown at the thai wedding ceremony.

IMO, up to you what you pay but as you are already married then it kind of voids the need to present a sin sot as you have effectively, already gotten the girl :o

Thank you Boo,

my wife hasn't been married before, she has university degree and no children of course.

I was browsing the forum and i saw that the sin sot are ranging from 100 000 to 500 000 bahts but it is not so clear and if the family will return the whole amount or not.

I still don't know how much should i spend....

congratulation on the wedding.

About the sin sod (sin sot) I suggest you do some searches on the forum as it has been covered A LOT!!!

Basically, lots of differing opinions ont he subject but Iwould speak with your wife about it.

As has been explained to me by my thai husband, sin sot is paid for a women never before married, without chidlren & the amount given depends on her social/financial/educational situation & generaly the sin sot is only for show, the family will return the money to the couple after it has been "shown off" to the family & neighbours to show what a good son in law he is & how he can support his wife. This is shown at the thai wedding ceremony.

IMO, up to you what you pay but as you are already married then it kind of voids the need to present a sin sot as you have effectively, already gotten the girl :o

but it is not so clear and if the family will return the whole amount or not.

These are the details you need to discuss with her, she will raise the issue with her family & they will ask for an amount, if you beleive it is reasonable then pay it (if you want) but the issue of returning it or not has to be resolved before you agree to anything.

I personally don't like it when it isn't returned, especially for a young couple starting out as you will need all the help you can get anyway without lining the families pockets as well but as an unmarried women with no kids & a uni education then being expected to pay some sin sot is not unreasonable imo, according to regular tradition.

What area of thailand is she from & what is her parents jobs, are they teachers, civil servants, farmers?

I suggest you sit down & have this conversation with her soon so that negotions can get started & remember, you can barter the amount, as a thai man would if he thought it were unreasonable or unattainable. :o

1. Go to top of page, between Members and Help.

2. Click on Search

3. Click on more search options

4. Search by Key Words, type in +Sinsot+Sinsod

5. Make sure you have high-lighted, All Forums

6. Perform the search

You have about 3 weeks of solid leaning

Enjoy.

Moss

Spitfire,

Be aware also the marriage party can become pretty expensive. The marriage party, like the dowry (sin sod), is a way for the Thai family to show off . Inviting 10 people to the local noodleshop and ordering 2 bottles of Saengsom with soda and ice won't do the trick. Discuss beforehand with your wife how much money you are willing to spend on the party.

This is not allways the case if you are farang you may be askedt o pay via GF .Party after wedding usually costs from 60000bhrt upwards booze markee monks hangers on who usually turn up and have notting to do with family professional boozers.

You are not Thai and thus sinsot does not apply. All this talk about culture is purely forgetting the fact that 50% of the couple is not Thai and they are not paying 1% respect for any culture your country may have. Dress it up any way you want but the basics are there pure and simple. If you are parted from your cash, more fool you.

• 2 weeks later...