Pm Spam

Somtham

Received the below PM spam yesterday and am wondering if it was sent to all TV members and if there is a systematic means to control it. It is the first of it's kind that I've received on TV.

PLEASE READ, THIS COULD BE WHAT YOU NEED capital23 [ Block ] Yesterday, 2008-06-20 01:22:39

Anybody else get it?

rgds

Received the below PM spam yesterday and am wondering if it was sent to all TV members and if there is a systematic means to control it...

As far as I know the forum software does not allow the automatic deletion of PM spam, eg identical PM messages sent to a certain number of members.

...How do people manage to send to everybody...

Not everybody got it. There is a limit to the number of cc recipients of a PM. In the case discussed here, it seems the spammer got stopped quite fast.

Spam in a thread is relatively easy to control: click on the REPORT button below the spam post and a moderator or administrator online at the time will suspend the account of the spammer. With a spam you receive by PM the procedure it a bit more laborious because it means you have to send a PM to a moderator or administrator who is online at that moment. To see who is online, go to the forum home page and scroll down to the bottom, the section “Board Statistics” with the list of members online at that very moment. The names of administrators are shown in blue, those of moderators in red. Click on any of these names, then near the top in the left frame click on “Send Message”. In your PM state member name of the spammer and give a copy of the spam message you received. As I said, this is a bit laborious but the co-operation of members who receive PM spam is greatly appreciated. The faster the spammer can be stopped, the fewer the members who will get spammed by him.

In the case of Capital23 the above procedure was followed by spammed members and the spammer was stopped very quickly. Thanks go to everybody who had the presence of mind to report the spammer. Of course, it is also possible that by chance a moderator also got the spam PM and then dealt with the spammer. I myself did not receive the spam but was advised by a spammed member and by that time the spammer had already been stopped by another moderator. At the moment Capital23’s member group is still shown as “Newbie” but he is no longer able to log on, post, or send PMS and his status will change to “Banned” soon by an administrator.

--

Maestro

Spam in a thread is relatively easy to control: click on the REPORT button below the spam post and a moderator or administrator online at the time will suspend the account of the spammer. With a spam you receive by PM the procedure it a bit more laborious because it means you have to send a PM to a moderator or administrator who is online at that moment. To see who is online, go to the forum home page and scroll down to the bottom, the section “Board Statistics” with the list of members online at that very moment. The names of administrators are shown in blue, those of moderators in red. Click on any of these names, then near the top in the left frame click on “Send Message”. In your PM state member name of the spammer and give a copy of the spam message you received. As I said, this is a bit laborious but the co-operation of members who receive PM spam is greatly appreciated. The faster the spammer can be stopped, the fewer the members who will get spammed by him.

In the case of Capital23 the above procedure was followed by spammed members and the spammer was stopped very quickly. Thanks go to everybody who had the presence of mind to report the spammer. Of course, it is also possible that by chance a moderator also got the spam PM and then dealt with the spammer. I myself did not receive the spam but was advised by a spammed member and by that time the spammer had already been stopped by another moderator. At the moment Capital23’s member group is still shown as “Newbie” but he is no longer able to log on, post, or send PMS and his status will change to “Banned” soon by an administrator.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the procedure for future spam Maestro.

rgds