Should I Tip Taxi Drivers In Bkk?

lost_in_space

I have felt sorry for taxi drivers in BKK because of the increase in petrol prices, so I almost always tip them 10-20 baht.

But in the last couple of weeks I have been talking to them about fuel prices and it turns out most of them don't use petrol, but natural gas and propane (okay, I'm behind the curve on this). One driver complained that NG had gone up from 8.5 baht per litre to 8.9 baht! Also, I believe the meter rate has gone up, not the starting rate but the baht/km rate.

Just wondering if these guys are taking a beating in the new energy crisis or not.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have felt sorry for taxi drivers in BKK because of the increase in petrol prices, so I almost always tip them 10-20 baht.

But in the last couple of weeks I have been talking to them about fuel prices and it turns out most of them don't use petrol, but natural gas and propane (okay, I'm behind the curve on this). One driver complained that NG had gone up from 8.5 baht per litre to 8.9 baht! Also, I believe the meter rate has gone up, not the starting rate but the baht/km rate.

Just wondering if these guys are taking a beating in the new energy crisis or not.

Obviously these guys are NOT getting rich. If the service is good I always tip them. Normally at least ten baht for short trips and 20 baht for longer trips. I'm sure they appreciate it.

I don't tip that much unless there has been a special circumstance or unusual service rendered (like help finding an elusive address or carrying stuff in and out of the cab) but I do always round up on the theory that seeking change in amounts less than 5-10 baht is petty.

I think this (the slight rounding up) is what most Thais do rather than tipping as we know it.

I don't tip that much unless there has been a special circumstance or unusual service rendered (like help finding an elusive address or carrying stuff in and out of the cab) but I do always round up on the theory that seeking change in amounts less than 5-10 baht is petty.

I think this (the slight rounding up) is what most Thais do rather than tipping as we know it.

Ditto

I have memorized the time and distance per kilometer and if they have got me there on time I am more then happy to go 20-30 baht a tip, but if they have played around with the meter and decide to take a scenic root then I tell him I am disappointed and he will not get a tip.

Most of the time I have had good service with them anyway

i always round up to nearest denomination i have on me that will get me out of the cab with zero fuss.

Yep. Same same here.

Well, I always make sure I not only carry 1000s.

I normally give them 15-20 in a tip.

If the meter stops on 98, I will however give them 100 + a 20 note.

Tippers will tip on any service, Cheap Charlies will find a reason not to tip, period,

(of which many abound on this board).

I myself always tip on any service regardless.

Not because I'm overly altruistic or inordinately generous, but because there' s other ramifications that can come into play.

1. Left cell phone several times in cab(s), only to have the driver park cab, chase me down to return same, of which they refuse additional tip for the gesture.

2. Waited for me for return fare to point of origin even though fare was small, etc.

Basically, a tip and a smile go a long way in everyday dealings, to most of us it's chomp change and marginal.

To the many Cheap Charlies on the board it would make them sick having to tip at all,

As previous posters suggested, tip or round-up, it's ultimately in your best interest and tips are always appreciated, (again, cheap Charlies will say just the opposite, looking for any excuse not to tip), :o

Like others, I've been treated pretty well by the drivers. I doubt if I'll ever stop tipping them.

Just to emphasize the point. Once I was in a taxi and the driver handed me a card with his rates for driving to various points outside Bangkok, including Hua Hin and Koh Chang. I asked him about the other driver for the taxi, wouldn't it be a problem if he were to come back late for the next shift?

Nope, he had bought the taxi himself, didn't share/rent it. He said the first four months were difficult, but now he was doing well. His English was good as he had worked for years on oil rigs in the Middle East as a cook...that's how he replied to my complementing his English. Then we started talking about kids, and I complained about the prices of International schools. He agreed, as he was putting two of his through one of the St. Something schools! He must have been making more than I do.

When I got to my destination, I tipped him.

Tippers will tip on any service, Cheap Charlies will find a reason not to tip, period,

Not because I'm overly altruistic or inordinately generous, but because there' s other ramifications that can come into play.

1. Left cell phone several times in cab(s), only to have the driver park cab, chase me down to return same, of which they refuse additional tip for the gesture.

2. Waited for me for return fare to point of origin even though fare was small, etc.

Basically, a tip and a smile go a long way in everyday dealings, to most of us it's chomp change and marginal.

To the many Cheap Charlies on the board it would make them sick having to tip at all,

As previous posters suggested, tip or round-up, it's ultimately in your best interest and tips are always appreciated, (again, cheap Charlies will say just the opposite, looking for any excuse not to tip), :o

You can be a cheap charlie and still tip! I am, and do.

I get called a CC because I don't throw my money around with other farang - why the hel_l should I? They can buy their own bloody drinks, and it's always been my experience that those that do the CC accusations are always the thirstiest and are looking at other people to subsidise their drinks bill.

I am thrifty rather than cheap. :D

I always tip if they don't insist on a fixed fare, drive like psychopaths, try to sell me their chauffeuring services or take me on an unfavourable choice of route.

Good, honest, safe drivers should be encouraged and rewarded.

It had always been amazing to me in the first years of my life in LOS:

Meter: 51, I gave 100, the change was 50

Meter: 41, I gave 50, 10 baht was handed back to me as a change

And this was happening again and again

Who wouldn't leave 10-15 baht as a tip after that...

Totally agree.

A year and half ago my mate left his pasport in a taxi one day before we were due to fly home.

15 minutes later the driver came back :D

RAZZ

I had a fare last night that was 51 baht - only had a 500 note on me and he gave me 450 back. Good tip.

The driver tonight was entertaining - spoke good English, gave me a convincing sob-story, knew where I was going, no detours, meter on straightaway...gets good tip.

Drivers that are hard-work should get nothing.

On quite a number of occasions I have staggerd out of the Dogs Billhooks..via Villa at two in the morning and been dropped off at the Hoose in Samut Prat to find the meter at 107-109- 111 bt...but the driver has on many occasions just ...said.

..... Roi Baht OK Krup..... :D

.....on the other hand maybe they are just glad to get rid of me for wot...talking too much........ME.

.but pom..phut passet Thai may die..krup....mostly.....and bit hoe may dee.......hic.....salt of the earth ....luvly lads and lassies. :o

I never take a taxi unless they put the meter on... fixed fares for normal trips around bangkok can forget it.

I always round "up" the fare to the nearest most convenient figure - the exception to this rule is when the driver goes the wrong way (either because he doesn't know the way or hes being a smart a$$) - they get the exact meter fare, down to the very last baht. Friendly drivers get a little extra, safe drivers get a little extra. i hate pennies (1 & 2baht coins) anyway and have a jar full of them at home, so i usually dump whatever i have in my pocket on the taxi who takes me home at the end of the night as an additional tip :o

I have memorized the time and distance per kilometer and if they have got me there on time I am more then happy to go 20-30 baht a tip, but if they have played around with the meter and decide to take a scenic root then I tell him I am disappointed and he will not get a tip.

Most of the time I have had good service with them anyway

scenic root? is that like a shag with a view?

most drivers scare the crap out of me so if i manage to get to my destination without having a panic attack i will thank them and tip them.

I'm a man, so I usually only get worried when I am alone in the middle of the night, but, over the years, I've given some nice tips because the driver didn't pull off the road and shoot me. :o

If your bones can support 2000 pounds of steel and glass then I recommend waiting for your driver to count out your 3 baht. Whatever you do remove your belongings and loved ones from the cab and trunk before paying your driver, and if you notice the cab stinks of booze after you get in, make up an excuse to get out.

p.s. if you're stuck at the night zoo after closing in cheing mai then the 450 baht tip is already calculated into the fare.

Edited by atwr

RULES FOR TIPPING:

1. You're the boss.

2. It's entirely up to you whether you give a tip or not.

3. If you don't give a tip - or a very miserly tip of a few baht - then expect the driver to be dissatisfied.

4. But in such circumstances if the driver is openly offensive to you - in whatever way - then he's unprofessional. But then again his actions may be understandable.

5. They work hard for fairly small money in general - so what - if you give a ten or twenty baht tip - or more - particularly if the driver is reasonably OK.

6. Thais generally round up to the nearest whole number. The same should be acceptable for any driver picking up a foreigner.

7. No meter. Get out immediately.

8. The taxi is hired by you for the duration of your trip. The driver should be reasonable to any requests i.e to turn down the radio or switch it off - or slow down - or go the way you prefer etc.

9. If the driver is discourteous to you and/or your partner - get out - and pay the fare - at your discetion.

10. It helps if you can speak Thai - know the route and the likely fare at any given point of the journey. (Is this a sad indication of BKK taxi drivers?)

I tip up to the next 10 or 20 baht. Whatever is more convenient so that I can get out of the cab quickly and be on my way. I simply don't want to sit there while the taxi driver fishes around for change.

Anybody tip their 7-11 workers? They work longer shifts, on their feet all day, make less money... they don't hesitate to ring your stuff up and then act like they are doing you a personal favor... they never ring up your stuff, take your money and then say "no change" and shrug their shoulders, they generally don't try to kill you with a 2000 lb. weapon, for the most part they have better breath, and they even still offer you service when it's raining.

(7-11 workers in Malaysia, different story)

Tip up to the nearest tenth. If it's 47 baht, give them 50. If you to to the airport, give them at least 20 baht tip. Up to anybody.

Tipping is part of the taxi business. Tipping is not part of the retail business such as 7-11, so that's why nobody does.