Thai Investigators Return To Bangkok

george

Thai investigators return to Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's human rights commission has ended a fact-finding trip to examine the deaths last week of 78 Muslims in custody.

The four members of the independent National Human Rights Commission are now returning to the capital, Bangkok, after deciding they did not need to meet any of the 113 men the army said it was still holding and who face prosecution.

The commissioners arrived in the Muslim-majority south on Friday to investigate last Monday's incident in the province of Narathiwat.

At least 87 people died following a demonstration which authorities dispersed using water cannon, tear gas and gunfire.

The government said six were shot dead at the protest and three others were found drowned in a river near the protest site, while 78 were crushed to death or suffocated after being piled into army trucks taking them into detention.

The army yesterday released almost 12-hundred people rounded up during the incident.

--ABC Asia Pacific TV / Radio Australia 2004-10-31

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's human rights commission has ended a fact-finding trip to examine the deaths last week of 78 Muslims in custody.

The four members of the independent National Human Rights Commission are now returning to the capital, Bangkok, after deciding they did not need to meet any of the 113 men the army said it was still holding and who face prosecution.

The commissioners arrived in the Muslim-majority south on Friday to investigate last Monday's incident in the province of Narathiwat.

At least 87 people died following a demonstration which authorities dispersed using water cannon, tear gas and gunfire.

The government said six were shot dead at the protest and three others were found drowned in a river near the protest site, while 78 were crushed to death or suffocated after being piled into army trucks taking them into detention.

The army yesterday released almost 12-hundred people rounded up during the incident.

--ABC Asia Pacific TV / Radio Australia 2004-10-31

What a surprise!!!!!!!!!

:o

And we know dam well there is tons of video footage of every moment, since every station had camermen there, each intent on staking out a good positon to video any possible violence.... Outside of a couple of stills, not much to see- except making them crawl down the road and over rough ground on their bellies with their arms tied behind them.... But nothing else of the shooting or demonstration actions.... I've been watching the Thai TV coverage pretty close, and nothing is being aired locally that I can see. Don't know if it's 'voluntary', or enforced.....

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's human rights commission has ended a fact-finding trip to examine the deaths last week of 78 Muslims in custody..

One white-washing report coming up.... just what the good Dr. ordered.

Dr. T, that is.... not Dr. PP...

:D I'm not guilty of everything John. Most naughty things are down to me, but not all the adverse happenings of the day :o

who gives a ###### about a bunch of trouble making Islamic extremists? Did the Buddhists go mad and start trouble when they did them machete drive-by choppings on the monks?

is this the affluent, materialistic and violent buddhists? or the non-affluent, non-materialistic and non-violent buddhists?

are you gratefull for the easy life you live?

87 terrorists die, and Liberals complain  :o

Nam Kao

Are you 100% certain that all 87 who died were terrorists?

If you are I suggest that you apply to the government for a job find all of the terrorists in the South.

If you are not sure please do not make stupid sweeping statements like that.

Who knows, there may well be innocent people among the 87.

who gives a ###### about a bunch of trouble making Islamic extremists? Did the Buddhists go mad and start trouble when they did them machete drive-by choppings on the monks?

Without recourse to trial some of the people arrested might have only been guilty of minor offences, and even those accused of the most heinous of crimes should have access to a trial and not be summarily executed, be it out of negligence or intent. Your refusal to separate the wheat from the chaff is just the kind of approach Al-Quaeda use and unfortunately might result in equally indiscriminate reprisals throughout Thailand. I support the irradication of all Muslim fanatics but to comprehmise your own rule of law merely strengthens their hand.

Nam Kao

Are you 100% certain that all 87 who died were terrorists?

sure he is, they were from the South and they were Muslims, so they MUST be terrorists.

If you are I suggest that you apply to the government for a job find all of the terrorists in the South.
I'm sure he'd do fine. Find ANY Southern Muslim and you've FOUND a terrorist.
If you are not sure please do not make stupid sweeping statements like that.

Agreed.

Without recourse to trial some of the people arrested might have only been guilty of minor offences, and even those accused of the most heinous of crimes should have access to a trial and not be summarily executed, be it out of negligence or intent. Your refusal to separate the wheat from the chaff is just the kind of approach Al-Quaeda use and unfortunately might result in equally indiscriminate reprisals throughout Thailand. I support the irradication of all Muslim fanatics but to comprehmise your own rule of law merely strengthens their hand.

The murdered Thai monks didn't get much of a trial either.

.... I've been watching the Thai TV coverage pretty close, and nothing is being aired locally that I can see. Don't know if it's 'voluntary', or enforced.....

Who owns the TV stations?

Well the PM and his family more or less own ITV and the other 'free to air' channells are controled by the Army.

Noodles

Assuming what Noodles has written is true (and as far as I know, his statement is true), that says it all.

By the way, an expected choice of words from Nam Kao, the forum's (possibly) number one hard-core liberal-hating right-winger, who doesn't give a darn about human rights !

Jem

The murdered Thai monks didn't get much of a trial either.

Agreed, and I can hardly think of a more sickening disgusting thing for anyone to do, may the purpetrators rot in ###### for all eternity - But to retaliate indiscriminately only serves to recruit more fanatics. Imposing martial law and a curfew until the guilty are caught may seem like a collective punishment but would focus the minds of the southern muslims as to where their interests lie. If they reverted to completely peaceful protest I would have a lot of sympathy for their cause.

87 terrorists die, and Liberals complain  :D

Your talking to a wall with some TV members :o

IamMaiC, why slag of the liberals? Thanks to them a halfbreed like you can walk around in the States without fear of being lynched by the KKK.

87 terrorists die, and Liberals complain  :D

Your talking to a wall with some TV members :o

A lot of people fail to see the difference between terrorists, protesters and Muslims, whereas others don't see the difference between military or police personnel and Buddhist monks. This is the very reason for the escalation.

As it happens, this forum is a wash with Muslimhating propagators of violence and execution. Have a wild guess which nationality the worst ones are?

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra stated yesterday his belief that his government — in power since February 2001 — "is the first in Thailand's history that has tried to address the southern problem in a very positive way".

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/28775.asp

---------------------------------------------------

positive?????