Your Local Immigration Office

A friend of mine has just visited Suan Plu for his first marriage extension. Everything went fine, however the immigration officer told him he should have gone to the Ayutthaya office. We live in the south of Petchabun province and my first application extension was at Suan Plu, it being the nearest one. I think the Ayutthaya office was not open then.

As my file is at Suan Plu can you apply for your records to be transferred? or continue to use Suan Plu and indeed the intended new offices at Chaeng Wattana.

The immigration office at Ayutthaya would be good for me as it is approx 197km drive from this town, it can obviously be done by bus but would mean changing at Saraburi or Wang Noi.

I was at Suan Plu for my last extension early May, as usual it was extremely busy. The immigration officer dealing with me said that the workload was too much, so perhaps understandably they would prefer folk to use their local immigration office.

As an aside, I heard of some German expats talking in the local market meeting that they had just completed their extensions but next year they have to go to Chiang Mai !, do they mean Chaeng Wattana ???

Edited by phutoie2

There are more and more reports that you will have to go to the immigration office of your own area. It seems that has always been the rule, but now they start enforcing it. Especially in Bangkok as they have a high workload.

Local offices are usually quite quiet, so that would make them a good choice.

However as marriage extensions have to be referred to Bangkok,

it seems strange that you cannot go there direct.

Recent posts suggest that Suan Plu is not a pleasant place to visit.

I applied for an extension of my Non O for marriage purposes in Jomtien last week and was turned away and told to go to my local office in Nong Khai. I live in Nong Khai and his reason he gave me is that they could not verify the map to my house that he reminded me that I needed. I thought that since I was already going to Bangkok to get my pension letter I would take a little holiday at the beach and apply in Jomtien but no such luck.

Keg

I also was in Bangkok on other business, and since my 90-day address report was due at that time, decided to drop in on Suan Plu to get it out of the way. Same problem. Refused--told to go to Nong Khai. Since my 90-day report was due (end of grace period), I had to cut off my plans in Bangkok and high-tail back upcountry to meet the deadline. What a hassle.

A friend of mine has just visited Suan Plu for his first marriage extension. Everything went fine, however the immigration officer told him he should have gone to the Ayutthaya office. We live in the south of Petchabun province and my first application extension was at Suan Plu, it being the nearest one. I think the Ayutthaya office was not open then.

As my file is at Suan Plu can you apply for your records to be transferred? or continue to use Suan Plu and indeed the intended new offices at Chaeng Wattana.

The immigration office at Ayutthaya would be good for me as it is approx 197km drive from this town, it can obviously be done by bus but would mean changing at Saraburi or Wang Noi.

I was at Suan Plu for my last extension early May, as usual it was extremely busy. The immigration officer dealing with me said that the workload was too much, so perhaps understandably they would prefer folk to use their local immigration office.

As an aside, I heard of some German expats talking in the local market meeting that they had just completed their extensions but next year they have to go to Chiang Mai !, do they mean Chaeng Wattana ???

I have only used 'local' Immigration offices. Twice in Nan (Northeast of Uttaradit near the Laos border) and once in Kap Cheong (Isaan south of Surin near the Cambodian border).

There does not seem to be such a thing a a transfer of your file.

The second time in Nan, they obviously were 'waiting' for me

When I went for the first time in Kap Cheong I was asked to produce a letter from the Embassy stating my address. That was ll what was required in addition to the proof of income, etc.

This year I intend to apply at Phu Sing Immigration Office also in Isaan near the Cambodian border. It is much nearer to my village (Khun Han south of Sisaket). I have visited them and they only require the 800k baht balance letter from the bank. Krung Thai in Khun Han will make it for me for 100 baht in 30 minutes. Should be a breeze next September.

From the reports we read of Bangkok's immigration especially the crowds and the waiting time, it is much more civilized (at least in the 3 I have had to deal with up to know) up country in your local Immigration Office (Nong Kai might be an exception....)

"Same problem. Refused--told to go to Nong Khai. Since my 90-day report was due (end of grace period), I had to cut off my plans in Bangkok and high-tail back upcountry to meet the deadline. What a hassle."

You can still mail your 90 day reports.

"Same problem. Refused--told to go to Nong Khai. Since my 90-day report was due (end of grace period), I had to cut off my plans in Bangkok and high-tail back upcountry to meet the deadline. What a hassle."

You can still mail your 90 day reports.

Not after the final grace period. You'll still owe the 5,000 baht fine if it arrives beyond the grace period.

I have my non immigrant O based on retirement obtained in the second week of May from Suan Phlu. After the 10th of July when I have less than 30 days left I intend to apply for my 12 month permission to stay stamp based on that retirement. Could I /should I be applying for that permission to stay stamp at the Nong Khai office instead of in Bangkok? Or is Suan Phlu the only place that can be done? It would be very convenient since I'm already here in Udon and Bangkok would take a special trip. Teelack and I were planning a trip to Laos anyway this month.

I'm of the understanding that there isn't an immigration office here in Udon Thani which baffles me considering the significant retiree presence.

~WISteve

I have my non immigrant O based on retirement obtained in the second week of May from Suan Phlu. After the 10th of July when I have less than 30 days left I intend to apply for my 12 month permission to stay stamp based on that retirement. Could I /should I be applying for that permission to stay stamp at the Nong Khai office instead of in Bangkok? Or is Suan Phlu the only place that can be done? It would be very convenient since I'm already here in Udon and Bangkok would take a special trip. Teelack and I were planning a trip to Laos anyway this month.

I'm of the understanding that there isn't an immigration office here in Udon Thani which baffles me considering the significant retiree presence.

~WISteve

Nong Kai is your nearest office, but be warned they are not the most helpful

~WISteve

That's my impression from other posts on TV as well.

So your educated guess would be....I can get this done in Nong Khai without a return to Suan Phlu?

To make matters worse I changed residence recently and I've heard they love to zip you for the 24 hour failure to report fine.

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

~WISteve

That's my impression from other posts on TV as well.

So your educated guess would be....I can get this done in Nong Khai without a return to Suan Phlu?

~WISteve

Personally I would go to Korat but Nongkai is your nearest office and they issue extensions if you wish to go there.

The office in Korat is quite nice. Almost never any waiting and the people there are kind and helpful. Before the Korat office was open I used to go to Kap Cheong. But, after the Korat office opened and I needed to transfer my visa and extensions to a new passport I had to go back to Kap Cheong as that was where the most recent extension of stay was issued. So, as stated above, no such thing as "transferring your file".

Fair enough, hear what you are saying. What happens if you move house then?. I know of people who used to live in Phuket and now live in Petchabun City. They do not go back to Phuket for extensions of visa's. Are you saying that if you move you start the whole extension process again at your nearest immigration office when due?

If so what happens to all your previous case history - photo's/maps/income letters etc.

Perhaps if you do not turn up at the old office they - bin it!

I think the only time you'd have to go back to the old office is if you needed to have an extension of stay or re-entry permit transferred to a new passport. I don't really understand why since all the necessary info is in the old passport, but TIT. But, when I did that they dragged out the old file and referred to it as they were stamping the new passport. They also made some new entries in the old file; I guess to reflect the new passport data.

If you move you can just begin your 90 reporting and next extension of stay at the new local office.