Agarwood In High Demand

george

Agarwood in high demand

Although petroleum from the Middle East is in high demand around the world people from the oil rich region are coming to Thailand to find a particular kind of oil in the eastern province of Rayong. We have more details in this report from Thai News Agency.

High quality agarwood, which is black and full of oil, can fetch high prices of up to tens of thousands of baht. Agarwood producers in the eastern province of Rayong have more than 500 members from all over the country. They work together to produce agarwood from selecting agarwood species to processing the wood.

Every piece of agarwood is valuable as wood bits and chips can be used to make aromatic incense sticks, which cost 800 baht per kilogramme.

White parts of the wood scraps can also be distilled to make aromatic essential oil, which can be sold at more than 10,000 baht for 11 grammes.

Dreg left over from the distillation process is made into special oil used in Muslim religious ceremonies. As a result, most customers come from Middle East nations, while some European countries also need aromatic agarwood oil to make perfume.

Archin Kittipon, Committee member, Agarwood Producers Group said “We can plant about 200-300 agarwood trees in 2.5 acres of land. The capital cost is around 3,000-5,000 baht. After four to five years, we can sell an Agarwood tree without heartwood at 2,000-3,000 baht. ”

Agarwood growers have to wait almost 10 years until Agarwood heartwood is ready for harvesting. It’s worth waittng though, because there is high demand for Agarwood. Although Agarwood is precious, agarwood traders said some Thai people had no idea what it looked like or how to earn money from this economic wood… legally of course.

Archin said “When foreigners come here and see agarwood, they know it and its quality. I want Thai people to know more about this precious wood."

-- TNA 2008-06-27

I look into my crystal ball and forsee a monumental collapse in the price agarwood oil in the not too distant future because it is being planted absolutley everywhere by all those with ideas of easy fortunes for bugger all investment here in Kabinburi.

Good luck. :o

Dear sir,

I am a farmer from Thailand (Khonkaen district).

I have small piece of land .(20 rai), on which I grow fruits and eucalyptus trees.

My friend told me that these days there is profitability in growing agarwood trees instead of eucalyptus trees.

But I have problems in growing agarwood trees.

I don’t have technical knowledge for agarwood trees :-

Is there any institution, which teaches how to grow agarwood trees, like on which season I should plant the trees, at what interval water to be given, and what fertilizers are good for these trees.

Where can I have soil test, so that I can know weather soil of my farm is good for agarwood plantation or not.

I read on internet about the excellent work of professors from university of minesota, they said their work is for helping the poor farmers (they lie), but after contacting their company (touchwood) I came to know that they want me to invest a huge amount in their company and only then they will share some info. about plantation of agarwood.

I am a poor farmer and don’t have such huge money to invest in their investment project.

I am willing to produce agarwood through use of CA kit, but before using it I need information for plantation.

I expect from you to help me and give some information about the plantation of agarwood.

Thaks a lot

Regards,