Orange Fruit Trees And Putza Pests

As I have never grown anything in my life, I have gone into the farming thing rather blind, so wonder if anyone can shed some light on the problems I have at the moment?

I have a number of orange trees, they are about 4 years old and are starting to bare fruit at last.

The problem I have with them is before the fruit is ready to pick, and is still slightly small, hard and green - the outer skin bursts open.

As usual, I have asked around locally and got the usual answers - Too much water / Not enough water, to hot, too cold.....

I live in Chiang Mai and have seen a few other trees around here, so I don't believe it to be the climate...the soil is quite heavy, almost clay like.

Secondly - Putza trees, I have what I think is Taiwan Putza, the fruit grows to about the size of a small apple (not those little Thai Putzas, these are sweet and better than apples!)

The problem I get is that once the fruit starts to ripen, something lays its eggs in the top of them where the stalk joins the fruit. From there the eggs develop into what look like tiny white maggots, these then procede to eat the fruit from the inside. Any ideas what they could be and a safe way to get rid of them (I also found some on my Farang trees too)

Many thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

As I have never grown anything in my life, I have gone into the farming thing rather blind, so wonder if anyone can shed some light on the problems I have at the moment?

I have a number of orange trees, they are about 4 years old and are starting to bare fruit at last.

The problem I have with them is before the fruit is ready to pick, and is still slightly small, hard and green - the outer skin bursts open.

As usual, I have asked around locally and got the usual answers - Too much water / Not enough water, to hot, too cold.....

I live in Chiang Mai and have seen a few other trees around here, so I don't believe it to be the climate...the soil is quite heavy, almost clay like.

Secondly - Putza trees, I have what I think is Taiwan Putza, the fruit grows to about the size of a small apple (not those little Thai Putzas, these are sweet and better than apples!)

The problem I get is that once the fruit starts to ripen, something lays its eggs in the top of them where the stalk joins the fruit. From there the eggs develop into what look like tiny white maggots, these then procede to eat the fruit from the inside. Any ideas what they could be and a safe way to get rid of them (I also found some on my Farang trees too)

Cheers!

I can’t help you with the orange trees, it does sound like too much water.

Second question, look carefully at young fruit. If you see a smallish fly with some yellow markings on top hovering about, it's the fruit fly.

Relatively easy to control with a few pesticide applications.

Fruiting trees need to be sprayed regularly if you want a saleable product.

I know as much about growing oranges as George Bush knew about the Prime Minister of Pakistan. But I will in throw my 2 cents.

Maybe the Thai's are right, not enough water and too much water!!?? In potatoes if you go through a dry spell and then give to much water you get growth cracks, and in potatoes it is dam_n near impossible to control other than consistent even watering.

Google "uneven watering fruit" and there is info

SAP

Cheers!

I can't help you with the orange trees, it does sound like too much water.

Second question, look carefully at young fruit. If you see a smallish fly with some yellow markings on top hovering about, it's the fruit fly.

Relatively easy to control with a few pesticide applications.

Fruiting trees need to be sprayed regularly if you want a saleable product.

Yes, YES!

I have seen these buggers - I thought they were a type of bee! They have a mild sting? I forget the Thai name "mee" or something....

OK will get the spray out- many thanks.

I know as much about growing oranges as George Bush knew about the Prime Minister of Pakistan. But I will in throw my 2 cents.

Maybe the Thai's are right, not enough water and too much water!!?? In potatoes if you go through a dry spell and then give to much water you get growth cracks, and in potatoes it is dam_n near impossible to control other than consistent even watering.

Google "uneven watering fruit" and there is info

SAP

Ok understand what you mean -however, unlike Bush I am not God and cannot control the rain, so, I guess I will have to live with it.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

The orange trees ARE getting to wet. The fruit inside is absorbing more water and growing faster than the outer shell, causing it to crack. You can buy large plastic tarps and place on the ground from the tree base to the tree drip line. this will help during the rainy season.

The "Putza" or Ziziphus jujuba tree along with guavas do tend to attract fruit flies. Keep the ground free of falling fruit the rotten ones attract even more. You can wrap the the fruit in plastic bags if the trees aren't too big. Spraying in the rainy season is a battle. So spray them in the morning to allow it to dry. Not more than once a week.

Good luck.

meandwi

Cheers!

The orange trees ARE getting to wet. The fruit inside is absorbing more water and growing faster than the outer shell, causing it to crack. You can buy large plastic tarps and place on the ground from the tree base to the tree drip line. this will help during the rainy season.

The "Putza" or Ziziphus jujuba tree along with guavas do tend to attract fruit flies. Keep the ground free of falling fruit the rotten ones attract even more. You can wrap the the fruit in plastic bags if the trees aren't too big. Spraying in the rainy season is a battle. So spray them in the morning to allow it to dry. Not more than once a week.

Good luck.

meandwi

Cheers for that!, unfortunately the tree is too big to bag the fruit, but I will look into some insect sprays.

You seem to know the Putza tree, question for you if you don't mind?

The fruit season on this tree seems rather strange, I usually get flowers in February/March and the first fruits are about the size of an apricot now.

The weird thing is that the tree is now blossoming again with even more flowers than the first flush - these fruit will tend to be about 3-4 months after the first ones...is that normal???

Cheers