True / Tot Waiting List For Broadband

ukrules

Hi,

I rented an apartment on Sukhumvit Soi 23 last week and want some kind of high speed internet connection.

I've been advised in another thread to use KSC as they are meant to be the best which sounds fine to me.

I've been told that we only have service in our apartment block provided by True and that you cant change the broadband supplier if the phone is supplied by a different provider - is this correct ? Right now the phone is not connected anyway as the previous guy moved out three months ago and ended his contract - it was a phone service provided by True.

I went to the true office at the Fortune Mall and they tell me that there is no capacity for TOT internet in my area and that I will need to wait on some kind of waiting list for someone else to disconnect before I can get any service and the wait could be months.

I guess I need advice on what to do - can I get a new phone line / net connection from a different ISP or telecom povider - like the KSC one I have been advised to get ?

Do apartment blocks normally allow you to install new lines like this ?

What should I do ?

Thanks

Neil

From what you say, I'd be signing up with True on Monday. While KSC may or may not be better you're not going to be able to run it on a True line so far as I know, only True. You could sign up and see how it True goes although on Soi 23 it could well be a heavily shared connection. You may need some input from your apartment manager to deal with True.

Put yourself on the TOT wait list and change over when and IF a spare line becomes available if you find you are not happy with the speed you get from True. Despite all the bad things you here about True it's not always as bad as people make out in my experience but you are in an area where you are more likely to have issues.

I thought TOT / True are the same company - I'm looking at an invoice which was in the apartment for TOT which also has True on it.

Most of it is in Thai so I cant understand it but it has a blue banner across the top saying TOT and the 'true' logo in the middle of the page.

Now I'm confused.

I thought TOT / True are the same company - I'm looking at an invoice which was in the apartment for TOT which also has True on it.

Now I'm confused.

The invoice with the TRUE logo means that you have a TRUE line. TOT and TRUE billing systems are linked because of some concession agreements between the two companies.

You should be able to get a TRUE ADSL connection but not a TOT connection (this requires a TOT tel. line --> waiting list)

opalhort

Yes, it's just a billing thing. I have True and TOT wiring in my house but use True because everyone told me it was the best ISP for the area. Not perfect but at the price I'm paying I'm not complaining, does the job most of the time.

Most of it is in Thai so I cant understand it but it has a blue banner across the top saying TOT and the 'true' logo in the middle of the page.

Now I'm confused.

TOT owns all the wiring so even if you do have True, TT&T or TOT phone number it travels over TOT lines. At least thats the way I understand service.

It was at the true office in the Fortune mall that they told me there is a waiting list so i guess there must be a waiting list for true adsl.

Is there anything else I can do like cable or satellite ? I really could do with a connection ASAP

Now I'm confused.

They most certailny are not.

TOT is the former state monopoly. TRUE is the old Telecom Asia who laid fiberoptic in Bangkok 10 or 12 years ago.

Yes TOT get some kind of parasitic fee & do the billing.

TOT owns all the wiring so even if you do have True, TT&T or TOT phone number it travels over TOT lines. At least thats the way I understand service.

I don't know about other places but here (BKK, Tungkruh) TOT and TRUE have their own networks.

We have three TOT lines, one TRUE line (used for ADSL) and a True-Vision cable line.

TOT is still using copper lines all the way from I don't know where.

TRUE is using fiber optic lines to an exchange close to our home (500mtr.) from where it goes via copper cable to our place.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Now I'm confused.

Actually both True and TT&T are the line providers. TOT had no spare lines or money and contracted for these companies to provide service that they could not provide; True in Bangkok and TT&T upcountry. Recently the billing has become part of TOT operation.