G/f Tourist Visa Approved To Australia

Hi all,

I am very happy that my GF's tourist visa has been approved to come to Australia. :o

I have spoken to her a number of times since and she tells me that there is a time restriction stamped on her visa requiring her to return no longer than 1 month from the date of departure.

I was of the opinion that a tourist visa was valid for up to 3 months to Australia??

Does anybody have any advice on -;

why the 1 month duration has been imposed

Is there any way of extending the visa in Australia after she arrives??

I eagerly await your advice.

Neverburi................9 months is a long time to be a "tourist". What happened after the 9th month? :D I gather your gf had no employment in Thailand then since she can be on holiday for 9 months?

Alien2, from what I heard they tend to grant 1 month visas now. The visa is extendable on a case-to-case basis....... It be better off for her to go on that visa now rather than try to "extend" it for 3-6 months ..........they may get suspicious...since it is a "holiday visa" :o . Good luck! :D

:D

Neverburi................9 months is a long time to be a "tourist". What happened after the 9th month? :D  I gather your gf had no employment in Thailand then since she can be on holiday for 9 months?

Alien2, from what I heard they tend to grant 1 month visas now. The visa is extendable on a case-to-case basis....... It be better off for her to go on that visa now rather than try to "extend" it for 3-6 months ..........they may get suspicious...since it is a "holiday visa" :o . Good luck! :D

SISTER IN-LAW HAD LETTER FROM EMPLOYER,NO PERIOD STATED ONLY

RE-ASSURING JOB ON RETURN TO THAILAND,WORKED IN THAI RESTUARANT SUTHERLAND SHIRE CASH IN HAND 5 DAYS A WEEK.HAD MONEY IN BANK

TO PROVE A FURTHUR STAY ROCKDALE OFFICE TWICE,THE ROCKS OFFICE

ONCE.

NB :o

SISTER IN-LAW HAD LETTER FROM EMPLOYER,NO PERIOD STATED ONLY

RE-ASSURING JOB ON RETURN TO THAILAND

Sorry Neverburi, you lost me there. Your gf's visa was approved because her sister-in-law has a letter?? Doesnt make sense. Anyway, no worries, not an important issue :o

Good luck to Alien2.

Hi all,

I am very happy that my GF's tourist visa has been approved to come to Australia.  :o

I have spoken to her a number of times since and she tells me that there is a time restriction stamped on her visa requiring her to return no longer than 1 month from the date of departure.

I was of the opinion that a tourist visa was valid for up to 3 months to Australia??

Does anybody have any advice on -;

why the 1 month duration has been imposed

Is there any way of extending the visa in Australia after she arrives??

I eagerly await your advice.

According to the site there are only 3 and 6 month visas.....maybe she has misread it ...usually the the visa holder must arrive in Oz within 12 months of the visa being issued. See if she can photocopy and fax the copy of the visa to you so you know for sure.

Extensions maybe allowed if you apply at least 2 weeks before the original visa expires. An old trick was to get a 6 month visa and extend it twice....giving 18 months...after 12 months of continuous stay... a temp resident visa could be applied for....after a further 12 months a Perm resident visa could be applied for. However the Thai Immigration dont like this and will delay their side of things for a long time....one couple I know who have tried this have been waiting 6 years for her PR to be approved. However I dont know if this is possible now.

Another girl I know who was here for 2 years on a temp Visa, was the victim of domestic violence and as she had a child born here to the Aussie guy, within 12 months of leaving him she had her PR...But she lost a bit there, as a victim of DV and a TR visa holder she was entitled to a special benefit which paid more than the Newstart which she gets now as a PR Visa holder.

According to the site there are only 3 and 6 month visas.....maybe she has misread it ...usually the the visa holder must arrive in Oz within 12 months of the visa being issued. See if she can photocopy and fax the copy of the visa to you so you know for sure.

Extensions maybe allowed if you apply at least 2 weeks before the original visa expires.  An old trick was to get a 6 month visa and extend it twice....giving 18 months...after 12 months of continuous stay... a temp resident visa could be applied for....after a further 12 months a Perm resident visa could be applied for.  However the Thai Immigration dont like this and will delay their side of things for a long time....one couple I know who have tried this have been waiting 6 years for her PR to be approved. However I dont know if this is possible now.

Another girl I know who was here for 2 years on a temp Visa, was the victim of domestic violence and as she had a child born here to the Aussie guy, within 12 months of leaving him she had her PR...But she lost a bit there, as a victim of DV and a TR visa holder she was entitled to a special benefit which paid more than the Newstart which she gets now as a PR Visa holder.

I checked with my GF and the Visa is definitely for a 1 month stay. I also had her check if there were any 8503 - no further stay conditions, which there weren't.

We will attempt to extend her Visa from within Australia after she arrives.

Thanks for all of your help.......