Samui Is A Tessabaan Muang

Well, according to my wife, since 8th June, Samui has recevied the Tessabaan Muang status.

Anybody picked up on this?

I read that they have been refused city status,but might me granted Tessaban Muang status.But what does it all mean to Samui at the end, besides a restructure of local government?

Well, according to my wife, since 8th June, Samui has recevied the Tessabaan Muang status.

I read that they have been refused city status,but might me granted Tessaban Muang status.But what does it all mean to Samui at the end, besides a restructure of local government?

it means that the city is self governing with out a local governor on samui or under the supervision of Surat.

it also means that the traditional Poo yai bans will be eliminated.

the taxes collected in samui will be controlled by the Samui city and not as it is now that surat enjoys Samui's income but gives back to the city only a small fraction of the taxes. As such samui will have more funds to spend on local infer structure.

Just curious, when you are referring to Pu Yai's are you referring to Pu Yai Ban (village headman) or all the elected posts ie Pu Yai Ban, Or Bor Dor etc.?

• 1 month later...

it means that the city is self governing with out a local governor on samui or under the supervision of Surat.

it also means that the traditional Poo yai bans will be eliminated.

the taxes collected in samui will be controlled by the Samui city and not as it is now that surat enjoys Samui's income but gives back to the city only a small fraction of the taxes. As such samui will have more funds to spend on local infer structure.

With the ongoing election (and the money/promises thrown in) I started wondering about Samui's exact status again. So is Samui now a Tessabaan Muang and if yes what is the difference between city status and Tessaban Muang status?

• 3 months later...
With the ongoing election (and the money/promises thrown in) I started wondering about Samui's exact status again. So is Samui now a Tessabaan Muang and if yes what is the difference between city status and Tessaban Muang status?

Yes, it now IS a thesaban mueang, though strangely at first it was decided to make it a thesaban nakhon same as requested by the former mayor. Sadly I haven't found anything explaining this last minute change to the lower status, if anyone can explain me it'd be nice.

The difference between thesaban mueang (town) and thesaban nakhon (city) is the responsibilities of the muncipality, the city has more responsibilities - but sadly I cannot list which it is exactly. It also has a larger muncipal council (24 vs 18 members). Yet both in contrast to the subdistrict municipality (thesaban tambon) mean the village headmen (phu yai ban) and subdistrict headmen (kamnan) loose their job as these loose their tasks to the municipality.

As Pattaya was mentioned in the thread - Pattaya has a special municipal status outside the thesaban system, if anything it is most close with the thesaban nakhon however. Bangkok is the second special municipality, which however unlike Pattaya is also at provincial level.

Stupidly the forum does not allow me to post URLs, I would have pointed you to my blog where I wrote about the Samui municipal changes several times as well as a link to the paper "Central-Local Government Relationship in Thailand" explaining a lot on the local government in Thailand.

Yes, it now IS a thesaban mueang, though strangely at first it was decided to make it a thesaban nakhon same as requested by the former mayor. Sadly I haven't found anything explaining this last minute change to the lower status, if anyone can explain me it'd be nice.

The difference between thesaban mueang (town) and thesaban nakhon (city) is the responsibilities of the muncipality, the city has more responsibilities - but sadly I cannot list which it is exactly. It also has a larger muncipal council (24 vs 18 members). Yet both in contrast to the subdistrict municipality (thesaban tambon) mean the village headmen (phu yai ban) and subdistrict headmen (kamnan) loose their job as these loose their tasks to the municipality.

As Pattaya was mentioned in the thread - Pattaya has a special municipal status outside the thesaban system, if anything it is most close with the thesaban nakhon however. Bangkok is the second special municipality, which however unlike Pattaya is also at provincial level.

Stupidly the forum does not allow me to post URLs, I would have pointed you to my blog where I wrote about the Samui municipal changes several times as well as a link to the paper "Central-Local Government Relationship in Thailand" explaining a lot on the local government in Thailand.

You mean this blog, why should that not be allowed, a very informative and useful blog with lots of interesting information.

Thanks a lot for the info, didn't expect an answer anymore. I think you made it as clear as possible for a non-Thai to understand the difference. And thanks to limbos for helping with the link, the blog looks interesting (as is yours of course limbos!), although I didn't have the time to read it all yet. I owe you guys a beer or two :o .

You mean this blog, why should that not be allowed, a very informative and useful blog with lots of interesting information.

Possibly because MaewNam is a "newbie" and unable to post an URL link?

Indeed, it is an anti-spam device put in place by admin, so that members with less than a certain number of posts cannot post direct URLs.