Bank Of America

What a nightmare with BofA. all is well except when using the ATM outside of the U.S. I went to all the trouble a while back, before going to Cambodia, to make sure my ATM would work and of course it didn't. Before going to Hong Kong this time i spent an hour on the phone as well as an email on the web site and an email to my premier account manager to make the card work. Worked the first day and then wouldn't.

I need a world wide bank to use when I travel outside the U.S. and outside Thailand [here I use a BB ATM card with no problem]. I have been thinking about HSBC in Bangkok. Is this a good alternative to put US dollars into? Will an ATM from there work worldwide? It appears they have branches everywhere. I can keep my account in dollars here and if the baht ever crashes i can immediately change into baht.

Is this a good option for people that use HSBC

thanks

I have used a BofA Platinum Debit (Visa) ATM card in 5 different Asian countries, including HK (but not Cambodia) over the last 10 years and never had a problem. Don’t think they ever even froze it despite using it in several different countries (including Europe) on successive days

YMMV

TH

Same here; I've never had an issue with my BofA Platinum Check Card (Debit/Visa). My wife use another BoA ATM card that is linked only to my savings account; once again no trouble there.

Seems like the OP had bad juju or something for BoA to flag his card.

Same here; I've never had an issue with my BofA Platinum Check Card (Debit/Visa). My wife use another BoA ATM card that is linked only to my savings account; once again no trouble there.

Seems like the OP had bad juju or something for BoA to flag his card.

they emailed me today with an apology. i have two accounts with them, one a rather large one and one smaller one i pay bills with. somehow?they attached my atm to the smaller account mistakenly calling that my primary account. my atm was always on the larger primary account. nice to get the apology but sure didn't help when i was trying to use the card

What a nightmare with BofA. all is well except when using the ATM outside of the U.S. I went to all the trouble a while back, before going to Cambodia, to make sure my ATM would work and of course it didn't. Before going to Hong Kong this time i spent an hour on the phone as well as an email on the web site and an email to my premier account manager to make the card work. Worked the first day and then wouldn't.

I need a world wide bank to use when I travel outside the U.S. and outside Thailand [here I use a BB ATM card with no problem]. I have been thinking about HSBC in Bangkok. Is this a good alternative to put US dollars into? Will an ATM from there work worldwide? It appears they have branches everywhere. I can keep my account in dollars here and if the baht ever crashes i can immediately change into baht.

Is this a good option for people that use HSBC

thanks

Just a little anecdote about my Bank of America ATM card experience. I am a merchant seaman and over the years, have used my BofA debit card in ATMs in both developed and 3rd world countries on 6 continents without ever having a problem. Last year I was visiting a small town in Illinois near my parents home and tried using my card at a small local bank only to find the transaction blocked by BofA. When I called my local branch in Seattle and asked about the problem they told me they blocked the card because I was using it in a "remote' location. :o