Printing Off A Mac On Phangan

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to buy a new Laptop and everyone says Mac is the way to go. Do any of you know if any of the shops on the island are able to print flyers off a Mac. Just Phangan, Samui isn't conveint.

Thanks

Make sure you get a copy of office put on your mac. That will mean any word, excel etc docs will be PC compatible. You just stick them on a memory stick and give them to the printers...or connect up the mac directly to the printer, or put onto a CD for the printers. Loads of options!

I love my mac but do bear in mind they are considerably more expensive than any other lap top. They are definitely a luxury item, especially if you are not needing it for any specific design work. If cost is an issue for you, and you really only need your com for word processing and internet/emails, you may want to look at a cheaper option - Acer do dirt cheap lap tops and most people seem pretty happy with them.

My sister only buys Mac (she owns a publishing business and they do alot of graphics work--something mac excels at) and has had alot of problems with her new Mac laptops (screen light does not come on when she opens the laptop--she must re-boot to get the screen to come on-a chronic problem she has had in two separate laptops) . She also bought the low-end mac laptop for her son and I have to say his wireless connection is terribly slow, as is hers on her far more expensive laptop. My cheapo Acer is much faster.

Also, something to bear in mind, the only Apple repair center is in Bangkok. last I knew Acer had a shop in Surat for warranty service.

So, Seville, unless you are heavy into graphics work then IMO, Apple is probably not necessary. Save your money, buy a cheaper PC laptop and then you will have more to spend when you get to Koh P. Pop in for a visit when you do make it to the island... :o

:o So many options. Thanks for all the great advice Acer huh, never heard of that one. I'll check it out on line. It's the virus thing with the pc's that is making me think mac. But wifi strength is huge in this new picture.

I'll be back in the fall and will certainly swing in SBK.

I'll look forward to it :o

Do a search in the internet/computer forum, there are several threads there by people looking to buy a laptop. If that doesn't help, post and list your requirements. The people posting in the tech forum are generally very helpful and informative.

:D So many options. Thanks for all the great advice Acer huh, never heard of that one.

:D do you live in a remote desert area....or on top of a high mountain ? :D

http://www.acer.com/public/home.jsp

My wife and I both have an Acer and she has many Chinese software programs installed as well...

..never heard of Acer...hmmmm

I have to admit though that Mac has a beautiful design and I have friends who swear with their Macs, iPods, iPhones and the like..... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

My sister only buys Mac (she owns a publishing business and they do alot of graphics work--something mac excels at) and has had alot of problems with her new Mac laptops (screen light does not come on when she opens the laptop--she must re-boot to get the screen to come on-a chronic problem she has had in two separate laptops) . She also bought the low-end mac laptop for her son and I have to say his wireless connection is terribly slow, as is hers on her far more expensive laptop. My cheapo Acer is much faster.

Also, something to bear in mind, the only Apple repair center is in Bangkok. last I knew Acer had a shop in Surat for warranty service.

So, Seville, unless you are heavy into graphics work then IMO, Apple is probably not necessary. Save your money, buy a cheaper PC laptop and then you will have more to spend when you get to Koh P. Pop in for a visit when you do make it to the island... :o

Have to say that this is not my experience with macs. Both me and my mum are avid mac users. I have had my ibook for a year and a half and have never had any problems with it (bar a small softwear glitch). My mum has had her G4 for years and it is still going strong. Wireless is fine for me - work off it every day with crappy Thai connections and it is fine. I love them as they are so user friendly - going back to a PC after using a mac feels like I am going back in time.

I used the apple repair centre last year. I dropped it off in their shop in Paragon, they fixed it super fast and sent it down to me via EMS in a big padded box. I was very impressed with the service and can use the box again if I ever need to send it back.

I agree that they are more expensive, however I would still say if you are erring towards mac, and money isn't so much of an issue - then get one. If you want to be frugal, do check out Acer.

ps Laopo, I had never heard of Acer before moving to Thailand!

imac's are at least $1000, a basic budget laptop about $500. (or cheaper if you are a good shopper!) Don't download dodgy stuff, don't let others use your laptop, use antivirus and anti-malware and you should be fine.

I have had my PC laptop for 2 years and have had no viruses at all.

Well, then I guess my sister, her son and her employees have had bad luck mssabai. She has had problems with more than one apple laptop and has been using them for years-- I would say between herself, her son, and her staff (using laptops she has bought) she has owned at least 7 (plus countless desktops) -- has had screen problems with two and both her and her son's wireless connections are noticeably slower than my own. Perhaps its just bad luck but she is less happy with Apple now than she was two years ago. And she is a mac fanatic, I might add.

I, for one, find this whole pc-mac thing kind of silly. I am looking for value, and personally paying that much money is well, its just too much. Guess its my frugal Scot heritage :o

Where I live? A Bubble :o

I love all the advice. Sounds like I'm back on the PC train as spending over $1000 on a computer is a little more then I'd like to spend and it looks like my plane ticket is going to be at least $300.00 more then I've ever spent this coming fall.

Acer seems to have a pretty high rating so I'm going to explore them more. Thanks everyone.

My opinion with 18 years experience as a computer consult.

If you were an experienced Mac user then it would not be any problem.

But it sound like you should get a PC because probably you will need a lot of support.

Support for Mac is very limited here.