Taxi - Surcharge - A Farce !

The greatest trick the samui taxi's ever pulled was convincing us that they are honourable! a slightly edited line from the usual suspects.

Twice in the past week have gone into chaweng, soi reggae once and Green mango once, as i don't want to drive home the worse for wear i get a taxi with the 90b meter surcharge, will they use the meter, will they my Ar@e !!!!!

no, to bangrak 400 Baht, sweet baby jesus, they really do take the p!ss. i'm only getting one as i dont want the possibility of killing some of their country men on the journey back, i should get a b!oody discount for that!!! managed to get one in the end for 250 baht after a lot of hassle and felt almost threatened by my attitude towards their rip off prices

what do i do, i cant boycott them when i go out and have one too many but i will probably tell every tourist i see not to use them, the greedy conniving b@st@rds

rant over feel better now, options for my predicament and opinions welcome!!

The greatest trick the samui taxi's ever pulled was convincing us that they are honourable! a slightly edited line from the usual suspects.

Twice in the past week have gone into chaweng, soi reggae once and Green mango once, as i don't want to drive home the worse for wear i get a taxi with the 90b meter surcharge, will they use the meter, will they my Ar@e !!!!!

no, to bangrak 400 Baht, sweet baby jesus, they really do take the p!ss. i'm only getting one as i dont want the possibility of killing some of their country men on the journey back, i should get a b!oody discount for that!!! managed to get one in the end for 250 baht after a lot of hassle and felt almost threatened by my attitude towards their rip off prices

what do i do, i cant boycott them when i go out and have one too many but i will probably tell every tourist i see not to use them, the greedy conniving b@st@rds

rant over feel better now, options for my predicament and opinions welcome!!

It probably sounds expensive if you have lived in Thailand for quite a while, but please remember that the price of gasoline has more than doubled in the last 5 years, coupled with the fact that all basic food stuffs have increased in price, and the repayments on the taxi are probably crippling.

300 - 400 baht for a taxi (maybe late in the evening also) in 2008 on a tourist island for a "Farang" is probably quite reasonable.

Unfortunately these are expensive times, for all.

Cheers

Ken

P.S. Perhaps after you had got it off your chest you did feel better, Thai Visa is a wonderful thing. :o

I never take them on principal, it’s far more entertaining to stagger along the road and see who gives you a lift! I have got to say though, these guys have to pay 500 Baht a day to drive on Samui, plus tax, insurance, wear and tear, car repayments, fuel, and I assume also licenses aren't free. I can see that adding up ...

I never take them on principal, it’s far more entertaining to stagger along the road and see who gives you a lift! I have got to say though, these guys have to pay 500 Baht a day to drive on Samui, plus tax, insurance, wear and tear, car repayments, fuel, and I assume also licenses aren't free. I can see that adding up ...

This is NO excuse to have the meters switched off and take criminal advantages - could ALL be regulated by proper laws!

In Germany f.E. the Taxista loses his license for good doing what they are all doing here!

NO Excuse - it's till a rip off scheme - in bangkok most of the Drivers pay 850 per Day per Car...and the meters start @ 32 Baht for the 1st 2 Kilometer etc. I figur, to Ban Bang Rak, far below 100 Baht! Their business would be thriving, if they would go by meter have a fixed price for Chaweng Area - say 50 Baht for any distance within a given Area!

Know what you get in Surat for 5 Baht or in Pattaya for 20 ?

250 is going from On Nut - Sukhumvit Bangkok to SAMUT PRAKAN tip included! And this is 45 Minutes drive!

Even all around the island should never be 500 yet they want the same amount from Nathon Ferry Pier to Chaweng!

IT a rip off anti social - anti tourism scheme - Boycott 'em where ever possible!

And remember 1st. a hired Car is 800 for 24 hrs. or 2nd. some locals may do the delivery or a pick up for 200-300!

A Minibus with driver from Had Yai Busterminal to Suratthani 1600 for 4 hours ride!

Edited by Samuian

This is the never-ending story about the taxi-mafia on this island. They will rip of the the tourist as long as the police and the local goverment closes their eyes for this problem. The price the taxi drivers want is 3 times the price in Bangkok, even if the gasoline on Samui is more expensive than the gas in Bangkok this does not make sense. Another topic about this robbery told that the taxi driver wanted 90 Bath in surcharge for each of the 3 people who wanted to go with this taxi. So I strongly disagree with mr. LeungKen defence for the taxi prices on Samui. And the repayment of the taxis are the same in Bangkok and Samui. All the residents on Samui are aware of this. My advice to all tourists, residents and Tais: BOYCOTT ALL THE TAXIS!!!!!

I hated them with a passion. But i still asked many of them for 'how much'. Just to see if one would be normal priced (never happened) and the bonus was bothering them to stop talk with me and then me saying sorry paeng maak maak.

We found our neighbour was willing to drive us anywhere for good prices.

Whenever we went out to Chaweang or shopping we just made an appointment to be brought and picked up.

With a little planning you don't need any taxi at all.

PURE GREED!!! The 90bht scheme was introduced to find a happy medium

between the drivers and customers and they can't even get that right.

This won't stop until the customer stops paying these prices, and as it has been said

before, some tourists don't mind paying, as they think its quite reasonable compared

to europe and other places. So the taxi drivers will keep doing this as they know

that say 1 in 3 will say yes. Its worth the gamble to them.

Just keep spreading the word to tourists friends and family to BOYCOTT.

This is NO excuse to have the meters switched off and take criminal advantages - could ALL be regulated by proper laws!

In Germany f.E. the Taxista loses his license for good doing what they are all doing here!

NO Excuse - it's till a rip off scheme - in bangkok most of the Drivers pay 850 per Day per Car...and the meters start @ 32 Baht for the 1st 2 Kilometer etc. I figur, to Ban Bang Rak, far below 100 Baht! Their business would be thriving, if they would go by meter have a fixed price for Chaweng Area - say 50 Baht for any distance within a given Area!

Know what you get in Surat for 5 Baht or in Pattaya for 20 ?

250 is going from On Nut - Sukhumvit Bangkok to SAMUT PRAKAN tip included! And this is 45 Minutes drive!

Even all around the island should never be 500 yet they want the same amount from Nathon Ferry Pier to Chaweng!

IT a rip off anti social - anti tourism scheme - Boycott 'em where ever possible!

And remember 1st. a hired Car is 800 for 24 hrs. or 2nd. some locals may do the delivery or a pick up for 200-300!

A Minibus with driver from Had Yai Busterminal to Suratthani 1600 for 4 hours ride!

PURE GREED!!! The 90bht scheme was introduced to find a happy medium

between the drivers and customers and they can't even get that right.

This won't stop until the customer stops paying these prices, and as it has been said

before, some tourists don't mind paying, as they think its quite reasonable compared

to europe and other places. So the taxi drivers will keep doing this as they know

that say 1 in 3 will say yes. Its worth the gamble to them.

Just keep spreading the word to tourists friends and family to BOYCOTT.

I fully agree with all your comments.Just shows their laziness,better drive twice a day & make Bht..... then put in a hard days work as their counterparts in other place.Just imagine if common sense prevailed & they are busy all day, because of fairness.But that would be a joke, as a previous poster has mentioned wear & tear on vehicule.So the trick is, least amount of trips for max money.Wait till the renegade unlicenced cabs take hold.

Hi,

For me, it is a question of principle !

A car with a label TAXI-METER should have a METER (and use it) or put up a TAXI label !

What would any thai folk say if someone brought them nam instead of nam-prik ?

It probably sounds expensive if you have lived in Thailand for quite a while, but please remember that the price of gasoline has more than doubled in the last 5 years, coupled with the fact that all basic food stuffs have increased in price, and the repayments on the taxi are probably crippling.

300 - 400 baht for a taxi (maybe late in the evening also) in 2008 on a tourist island for a "Farang" is probably quite reasonable.

Unfortunately these are expensive times, for all.

Cheers

Ken

P.S. Perhaps after you had got it off your chest you did feel better, Thai Visa is a wonderful thing. :o

That still doesn't make it right but it is the reality, unfortunately.

Fortunately where i'm from, England, racism is being tackled head on & even though it is still there, it is being weeded out slowly but surely i think, Thailand however will never even attempt to.

Nice to have so many comments and differing views, also refreshing to see the thread not de-generating into name calling etc

the major problem is that as a previous poster mentioned the long runnning taxi problem was supposed to be solved by this extra 90 baht surcharge, my other half spoke to a taxi driver a few weeks ago as i was drunkenly climbing in after a night out, he was complaining about it being quiet and, my other half being thai you would expect her to just shrug and say nothing but i have taught her well and she turned round to him and said 'look if you don't rip off tourists, treat them with with respect and don't STAB them, then you will be busier' the guy couldn't believe it, its as though he had never understood that low fares and good smiling service = more money. i must say i was very proud of the other half and hopefully the driver has taken heed!

it probablly works out cheaper to buy a car and pay per month if u live here. hence the infulx of traffic.

if taxis were like bangkok i would use them alot more. i got charge 300 baht for a motorbike taxi to drive me around for 20 minutes.

now the yellow taxis are all rented of samui people and they have high rent to pay back. so the driver has to pay about 800 baht per day plus gas. hence the compitition hence the high prices.

but i motor bike taxi just took the chockolate digestive. some taxis charge alot becuase they have to some are just greedy b""""S.

they all end up losing in the long run. as i said if they were bangkok prices i would use them all day long and would not have purchased a car

I might start my own company call it Farang Taxis!

How do you think I would fare!!!

Simple burial or cremation? :o

Oh that makes me feel nice and fuzzy!

We use to have Dail a driver at home you would call some one they would charge you to come and pick you and your car up and take you home.

That would be under the radar.

Anyway I cant remember the last time I caught a taxi, I stay at a guest house for the night if I am going into Chaweng for a big night onthe gas, park my car there and get up in the morning its 500 baht but given that I live at Ban Tai it works out the same.

Crazy hey.

Simple burial or cremation? :o

Oh that makes me feel nice and fuzzy!

We use to have Dail a driver at home you would call some one they would charge you to come and pick you and your car up and take you home.

That would be under the radar.

Anyway I cant remember the last time I caught a taxi, I stay at a guest house for the night if I am going into Chaweng for a big night onthe gas, park my car there and get up in the morning its 500 baht but given that I live at Ban Tai it works out the same.

Crazy hey.

Not such a silly idea.My wife always ends up the designated driver,hardly drinks.

We cannot compare Samui taxis with Bangkok, there they drive with LGP, a lot cheaper (not long anymore!) than gasoline.

In Phuket Taxis are the same expensive with one exception:

Fares from airport are by meter with 50 THB airport surcharge - airport to Patong is just 280 THB for 40 km.

The way back is some 800 THB of course....

But it is a good feeling not to be ripped off just after arriving at the holiday places...

THINK YOU WOULD BE DEAD IN TWO DAYS MAX.STEP ON THE MAFIAS TOES HERE AND THEY GIVE YOU ONE OPTION,AND ITS NOT A HEALTHY ONE...

BOYCOTT THEM***obscenities removed***