Computer Fair

Tywais

I was just informed there is a computer fair for CMU and will run through Sunday. It's on Nimmanheiman road at, I believe it is called, the university pavilion center near the corner of Suthep and Nimmanheiman. Didn't see any posts here on it and seems little announcements made in general. Usually some good prices on computer items can be found there. It's been running since Wednesday.

ow..i went to it yesterday and i never thought to post here about it. :D I will next time!

Anyway, they have layed it out really well. There was even a magic show..hah! Good discounts (i believe) on computer (mainly laptops), flat screens, computer peripherals, cameras, and some other bits and bobs (the kind of stuff you find at Pantip Plaza: flashdrives, wireless headphones, etc).

There is also a food court area and seating area outside if you get the munchies or need a rest.

One word of warning, I went around 2pm or so yesterday and even then was busy, so i imagine will be super busy at the weekend. Its super noisy on the microphone/music front, so take along some ear-plugs if you are sensitive. It also got a quite a bit hot and stuffy in areas where no air con/fans reach, so worth taking a mini-fan or something to cool you down or wipe your face with (especially as you often get stuck in slow moving people traffic).

Some free software cds being handing out, and a few freebie mags.

I love computer fares and I thought this one was nicely done. I was expecting to see just undecorated tables with the goods for sale, but effort has been put in to make it look more like a convention than just a fare.

(There is a v cool little stall selling mp4s. One cool one i thought was: http://ipopmobile.en.ec21.com/product_deta...ct_nm=PMP-2898# for just under 2000baht. Not too bad for the price :o )

Good luck bargain hunting.

I suspect parking may not be easy. We were lucky really, got a place just near the entrance as we came in, which was one side of the road you drive to get in and out of the area. So I cant really report if there is much parking space (or a proper allocated parking area) available after this first stretch, sorry. I guess arrive early (opens at 10am) or you may have to park nearby and walk to it. (Btw..closes at 8pm)

Oh..another warning.. If it is busy, you might be best parking nearby rather than inside anyway because people are parking both sides of the road/lane making the area only ok for single lane driving. Might get a bit congested and frustrating if people are trying to leave and others are trying to get in.

just checked it out. don't waste your time. the prices are exactly the same as they are at pan thip (chiang mai) or computer plaza. i'm always amazed how shallow the discounts are at "big sales events" in thailand. i saw tons of people (too many actually, it was claustrophobic) and maybe one or two people with actual bags in their hands with stuff that they'd bought. not sure what the point of is - presumably the stall rentals are very low so they don't really need to move product.

aside from price, the selection was just about the same as well, if not more narrow. indeed parking looks like a nightmare unless you're on a motorbike.

just checked it out. don't waste your time. the prices are exactly the same as they are at pan thip (chiang mai) or computer plaza. i'm always amazed how shallow the discounts are at "big sales events" in thailand. i saw tons of people (too many actually, it was claustrophobic) and maybe one or two people with actual bags in their hands with stuff that they'd bought. not sure what the point of is - presumably the stall rentals are very low so they don't really need to move product.

aside from price, the selection was just about the same as well, if not more narrow. indeed parking looks like a nightmare unless you're on a motorbike.

thought just as much. thanks for the report ollylama. same same like those chi chang sales that happen at the airport plaza once every couple of months.

TB..

I thought the prices were a bit cheaper than Pantip :o But, im not sure.

Personally I enjoyed the fare but I like computer fares in any case, plus came away with a few freebies (i like freebies too :D )

I thought the show was reasonable in some ways and disappointing in others. Nothing new being showcased and it was more focused on selling product than showcasing solutions.

The prices I found to me the same as what can be obtained from Panthip Plazza or the Northern Computer Centre.

No displays or demonstrations by any software companies ... though the two girls dressed in white cowboy boots and short skirts and waffling enthusiastically about a sewing machine was at least riveting if not informative.

I was surprised though to see the many trolley loads of stock being wheeled into the place. Seems to be a Thai penchant to take truck loads of stock to events such as this and then transport it all back to where it cam from at the end.

The local Apple dealer also wasn't represented.

The presentation was fairly professional and unlike in other countries, admission and parking was free. So at least the price was right. To bad there wasn't a focus on solutions, training, upskilling, etc with some seminars, etc. instead of just focusing on pushing boxes.