Live Scheduled Music

steelepulse

One thing that I like is to catch some live music, but it seems hard to keep up with who's playing where, so I thought I'd start this thread so those of you who play can plug yourselves and give us some alternatives to places with no live music.

I went to a new place in Rawai called Purple haze last night.  The band there was fantastic playing old rock, blues, reggae and good old fashioned great rock and roll.  The band is a 3 piece band with an Aussie playing lead guitar and singing, with the rhythm made up of a couple of good Thai musicians.  They play every Thursday night.  This place is on the opposite side of vichit resort maybe 300 meters south.  This singer guitarist has some very good skills and so does the rest of the 3 piece band.  In between sets there was a nice acoustical solo act, which made for a nice change up from the band.

Night:  Thursday's starting around 10

Music Style:  Blues, Rock

Dont have to add to this thread other than the Phuket live group on facebook is handy for these kind of listings..

Facebook really has become the defacto 'event' and group management site.

I nixed my account with Facebook as they were undergoing "improvements" that weren't at all.

Site became somewhat worthless for me.

I think S. Pulse is onto something, maybe we should pin what acts are where each night of the week.

I know a TV member here who plays Sala Phuket every Wednesday. I think they call themselves "Double Trouble".

Thanks Huggybear. I am still trying to figure out who you are. Unfortunately, I will not be able to wear my rasta clothes and go to the get together on Sat. night as we are playing every sat. also at Sandy's corner on Choafa East Road.

Yes, we play the Sala Phuket every Wednesday, Friendship Beach every Friday, Sandy's Corner on Saturdays and will be at the Wine Connection for Bastille Day on July 14th.

Since I won't make the party on Sat. to put faces to names, I would appreciate learning as many of you as i can when i do play. Please introduce yourself by your thaivisa handle if you would when you see us play. Thanks. fiddlehead

ps. yes, we call ourselves "Double Trouble"

I would very much like to see a website or perhaps Thai Visa put together an up to date schedule of what is going on around the island.

I like going to festivals at Sapan Hin in Phuket town but never really know when they take place as well as live music, Green Man theater events, Job to Do over at Yoonique, Festivals of any sort, etc.

I see phuket gazette has about 5 events on their webpage but it isn't a very broad or inclusive list. Any ideas?

Thanks Huggybear. I am still trying to figure out who you are. Unfortunately, I will not be able to wear my rasta clothes and go to the get together on Sat. night as we are playing every sat. also at Sandy's corner on Choafa East Road.

Yes, we play the Sala Phuket every Wednesday, Friendship Beach every Friday, Sandy's Corner on Saturdays and will be at the Wine Connection for Bastille Day on July 14th.

Since I won't make the party on Sat. to put faces to names, I would appreciate learning as many of you as i can when i do play. Please introduce yourself by your thaivisa handle if you would when you see us play. Thanks. fiddlehead

ps. yes, we call ourselves "Double Trouble"

I would very much like to see a website or perhaps Thai Visa put together an up to date schedule of what is going on around the island.

I like going to festivals at Sapan Hin in Phuket town but never really know when they take place as well as live music, Green Man theater events, Job to Do over at Yoonique, Festivals of any sort, etc.

I see phuket gazette has about 5 events on their webpage but it isn't a very broad or inclusive list. Any ideas?

"Sala Phuket every Wednesday, Friendship Beach every Friday, Sandy's Corner on Saturdays"

See there ! A reason in itself to have a music bill pinned on the board, Fiddlehead I did not know you guys were at Sandy's Corner.

So the pinned list so far:

Monday-?

Tuesday-?

Wednesday-Double Trouble at Sala Phuket

Thursday-Martin Grand acoustic set followed by the Colin Harris band (these guys rip) at Purple Haze Bar, Rawai.

Friday-Double Trouble at Friendship Beach (Fiddlehead has an Intel chip for a brain, all the tunes he knows)

Saturday - Double Trouble at Sandy's Corner Chalong

Sunday-?

Maybe someone has a Patong or Karon music schedule?

Edited by huggybear

Sunday's are usually at the "Trip Advisor" fund raiser benefit at the Pacific Club in Karon from 6-10.

They raise money for kids whose parents have AIDS at their weekly get together and dinner.

Not sure how you make reservations but I'll try to find out.

HI

What happend to Groove Doctors??

use to see them every Thursday night in Joe kool

Groove Doctors are still around. No steady gigs right now but we are playing a private party tomorrow and I believe we'll be at the Watermark next month.

We expect to have another weekly steady gig come high season.

Thanks lots for all the support over the years.

I hope someone can figure out a way to perhaps post any gigs and festivals, grand openings, events, etc. all over the island.

It's not easy finding out what's going on.

Of course it's going to be up to the people running the events to post isn't it, and that's where the problems begin i guess.

Although maybe not so relevant to this thread, but the band that play at Tiger nightclub are very good. Obviously they play the same old turgid <deleted> a lot of the time, but they are very competent musicians and literally beg for requests to take them away from the "Hotel California" tedium.

Although maybe not so relevant to this thread, but the band that play at Tiger nightclub are very good. Obviously they play the same old turgid <deleted> a lot of the time, but they are very competent musicians and literally beg for requests to take them away from the "Hotel California" tedium.

Oh my buddha ! And they break into Creedence too? pass........

Oh my buddha ! And they break into Creedence too? pass........

It's not their fault they play the music they do - they clearly don't want to. As I say, very competent musicians who've been given strict instructions on what to play - get them away from having to entertain old men on sex holidays and they'd be a decent band IMO.

Sunday's are usually at the "Trip Advisor" fund raiser benefit at the Pacific Club in Karon from 6-10.

They raise money for kids whose parents have AIDS at their weekly get together and dinner.

Not sure how you make reservations but I'll try to find out.

Double Trouble are great to listen to and we enjoy The Groove Doctors as well. Pity The Groove Doctors are not playing at Joe Kools anymore. Since Fiddledude is also 1 of the Troubles - we are planning on going to The Sala soon to listen to Double Trouble.

Otherwise the bookings for the Life Home Project Fundraisers can be made (must be in advance for catering purposes) via the following website:

http://www.pacific-club-phuket.com/dinner.htm

Fiddledude usually plays solo at these functions. :o

About announcing an event at Phuket Gazette:

Some years ago a thai good friend of mine, who organized a classical music event at the old Thai Hua School, the place which is a museum now, she wanted to announce this event, which was free of charge for everybody. I helped her to get to the Phuket Gazette online. She was very much surprised to have to pay 500 Baht. No wonder she did not use this place to announce this beautiful event. What a pitty. I almost saw no foreigners there. You can guess why?

Perhaps a website with a calender where people could post an event or gig or get togethers so people could find out what's happening on any given day. (or week)

Anyone know of such a site in Phuket?

I need to change my above schedule (post # 4) as our band "Double Trouble" will NOT be playing at Sandy's corner on Saturdays for the next month.

I can put up a Phuket calendar for you guys. If people send me the details, I'll throw it all up. Might even give it its own domain name. Send me details of regular events and then also of one-offs. Include venue, time, date, who's playing, maybe an ad and phone number. That's if you want me to do it. No worries if not.

• 3 weeks later...
I know a few here that might like to know that the "Groove Doctors" will be playing at the Islander bar (on the road between Nai Harn and Rawai Beach) on Saturday night starting around 7:30. Hope to see some of you there.

Right on !

Yoonique's in Nai Harn (near the lake and behind the Reggae Riders Bar) has a really good ska/reggae band that play there on

• Wednesdays
  • most Fridays
  • Saturdays

The same band also plays on Monday and Tuesday nights at the newly opened Romanee Music House on Soi Romanee in Phuket Town. There is another good band that plays in Romanee...sort of hip-hop like...that will play at Yoonique's on August 8. Also, on Soi Phang Nga in Phuket town just up from the bus station and next to the ACER shop on the right hand side there is a tiny little bar called "Another Bar". A bunch of hip people hang out in there and there is always some type of musical jam going on.