One-way To Thailand

Hey guys, i've seen millions of visa posts for thailand, but am -STILL- unclear on some things.

I'm a Canadian living in China with my girlfriend. We just finished a teaching contract and want to travel Thailand. We are in Hainan, have a flight booked to Shenzhen where we will fly to Bangkok. We wish to stay longer than the 30 day visa-free period. We don't have a visa for Thailand, but would happily get one. The problem is we have no means of filling out the application here, and our situation makes it difficult. We aren't planning on booking a return ticket until we are more sure when we want to leave Thailand. I guess i'm wondering if we will be able to get a visa any time within that free 30 days of visa-free time. Will the airline let us fly into Thailand without a visa? Will immigrations give us the 30 day stamp without a return ticket?

If we could purchase a travel visa after arriving in Bangkok, that would really be ideal.

Any thoughts would be -awesome-. Thanks

Jesse

This gets asked a lot, DIN standard answer:-

1. You will probably have no difficulties with immigration unless you have loads of other Thai 30 day stamps in your PP
  2. You will very likely have trouble with your airline because an onward ticket is part of the requirement for a 30 day stamp (even though immigration rarely check). The airline will be fined if they fly you and you are subsequently refused entry.

Two possible solutions;-

1. Get a visa
  2. Get cheap tickets out (AirAsia) or buy (very expensive) fully refundable outbound tickets

EDIT You can use your AirAsia tickets to buzz down to KL or Penang and get a Tourist Visa, good for a 60 day entry which is extendable by a further 30 days at immigration for 1900Baht

Edited by Crossy

Just thought I would jump in with a similar question so pardon the intrusion.

I am an American who received a multi-entry non-immigrant A-O long stay Visa in March, '08. I went to Thailand in March and returned to the States in May. When I return in September I realize that my Visa will be extended to September '09.

When I return to Thailand I plan on staying permanently, having met the age, income, etc. rules.

My question:

I want to purchase a one way ticket. Once I am in Thailand on a permanent basis I will then use Thailand as my base of coming and going as need arises (e.g. emergency flight back to the US and return to Thailand).

What problems do I face trying to leave America with a one way and what problems might I face in Bangkok airport upon arrival?

Thanks for any help with this.

I want to purchase a one way ticket. Once I am in Thailand on a permanent basis I will then use Thailand as my base of coming and going as need arises (e.g. emergency flight back to the US and return to Thailand).

What problems do I face trying to leave America with a one way and what problems might I face in Bangkok airport upon arrival?

With any kind of proper visa you should have no issues with a one-way ticket

Don't forget that once the 'must enter before' date has passed you must get a re-entry permit to keep your current stay alive.

Edited by Crossy

How strange - I posted nearly the exact same reply as Crossy, but it seems to have been deleted.

Yeah, I remember seeing it, nothing untoward. I can only assume that it was a database problem as I cannot believe admin would remove it.

Maybe a post in forum support would be advisable?

How strange - I posted nearly the exact same reply as Crossy, but it seems to have been deleted.

Perhaps you are thinking of a post you made in the Thailand Travel Forum?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/findpost-p2069704.html

Same OP, same question, and it explains why I remember seeing a post by 'sweetchariot'.

Thought I was going senile for a minute :o