Another Taxi Attack Against Tourists?

I was told today by a friend that 2 weeks ago there was another attack on tourists by a taxi driver on Samui. His source is the hotel where they were staying. Basically, a group of 12 ordered 3 taxis to take them a short distance (didn't want to walk). They agreed before hand on 200 baht per taxi (a real short distance). The first two taxis left without incident but the third said it would be 300 baht. When the tourists protested, because they had already agreed on a price, they were thrown out of the taxi. The driver (a female) scratched one of the female tourists on the arm. Then other taxi drivers nearby started throwing stones and finally one pulled out a machete and whacked one of the tourists on the head. Apparently they were told that if they went to the police they would get even worse. The group flew out the next day.

I realise this is 2nd hand but considering what we know aboiut taxis on Samui it is possible and I'd like to know if anyone else here has heard anything about this. (It's not as if taxis here are going to be slandered by this story on this forum anymore than they already are on a weekly basis)

Edited by koheesti

I will never understand the Thai way of thinking....instead of being 200 baht up she earns zero.

Maybe its all to do with face and she was wanting to increase her reputation in front of the other taxi drivers??????????????????????

HL :o

In general, most Thais would defend the driver by saying maybe the passengers said something to offend the driver, or farang rich, can pay, so why start argument, and all the other illogical excuses to blame the incident on the aliens. It's easy to blame everything on the whities here mainly because there's a general national loathing for westeners. Behind most of the facade of smiles lies resentment, jealousy, distrust, contempt, disrespect, agression etc.

These tourists go home tell 10 friends who tell 10 friends etc. Yet, we are told tourist numbers are up, if so, the propaganda is successful and ill informed westeners still arrive all bushy tailed wearing their rose coloured sun-glasses thinking they can deal with the average Thai logically, reasonably and rationally. If they want an enjoyable holiday here they should learn to just pay up and shut up.

I will never understand the Thai way of thinking....instead of being 200 baht up she earns zero.

I've seen it many times relating to the townhouses and other properties for rent. They would

rather have the properties sitting empty for 6-12 months than accept any price less than what

they have already decided upon in their greedy little minds.

In general, most Thais would defend the driver by saying maybe the passengers said something to offend the driver, or farang rich, can pay, so why start argument, and all the other illogical excuses to blame the incident on the aliens. It's easy to blame everything on the whities here mainly because there's a general national loathing for westeners. Behind most of the facade of smiles lies resentment, jealousy, distrust, contempt, disrespect, agression etc.

These tourists go home tell 10 friends who tell 10 friends etc. Yet, we are told tourist numbers are up, if so, the propaganda is successful and ill informed westeners still arrive all bushy tailed wearing their rose coloured sun-glasses thinking they can deal with the average Thai logically, reasonably and rationally. If they want an enjoyable holiday here they should learn to just pay up and shut up.

Oh, i do not think it is maybe so simple, I would not say taxi drivers in any country are a good example of the general population or would be defended as such.A good deal of Thais, i am sure do not like these guys either. We have choices at the end of the day whether to take them or not. I would guess that these people (customers) felt aggrieved by the change in price, although the violence they probably did not expect. Do agree with some of your points though.

.........its all to do with face and she was wanting to increase her reputation in front of the other taxi drivers??????????????????????

HL :D

....call it a massive "inferiority complex" and absolutely no respect, no gratitude for the people who bring the money in this country... :o

.........its all to do with face and she was wanting to increase her reputation in front of the other taxi drivers??????????????????????

HL :D

....call it a massive "inferiority complex" and absolutely no respect, no gratitude for the people who bring the money in this country... :o

That reminds me some old speech from some sahib in the colonial India. They must be grateful because we bring them our civilization....

Of course the taxi mafia is the most blameful and the best way is just don't take any taxi-meter. From the airport the cheap and professional shuttle vans. The best and cheapest way is to rent a car (shared) for the time you need.

In general this is a bit too much of Thai bashing. Or?

Well if it was a bunch of Thais who carried out this attack - it is hardly bashing!

Through many years of observing the aggresive behaviour of Thais in general, i have always wondered why they will often sease an oppurtunity to act in a pack. Even if they have no involment in an inciddent - other than being a fellow Thai?

Most humans - developed that is - would need a very good reason to involve themselfs in a vicious attack on another person :o

That reminds me some old speech from some sahib in the colonial India. They must be grateful because we bring them our civilization....

Good try!

But two wrongs (grateful & civilization)don't make one right!

Maybe in your philosophy, always blame it on someone else, never ever say: "Oh, yes, SORRY", never admit that "you" made a mistake, never!

Where did I tackle the issue of being "grateful" and "bring 'em our civilization" - where?

Seems you're "reading" something into my post that isn't there, or do you use a cristal ball?

Isn't it a fact that TOURISM not COLONIALISM is the core of this money spinner?

Why you try to defend the misbehavior of certain people directly benefiting from foreign visitors, the tourism industry, the money they bring into the country, with something as absurd as " some old speech from some sahib in the colonial Indial"!

Seems you missed the point, try to read again and try to understand what the OP tries to bring across, what the genuine circumstances are... give it a try, maybe it's not too late yet..

Good try, but just another attempt of belittling massive ignorant misbehavior of people in the service industry short of good manners!

Try again!

Edited by Samuian

I've seen it many times relating to the townhouses and other properties for rent. They would

rather have the properties sitting empty for 6-12 months than accept any price less than what

they have already decided upon in their greedy little minds.

Noodles,

Spot on and hilarious. I wish these places stay shut down for as long as possible! The old location of Yamato in Chaweng is a classic sample.

Good try!

Maybe in your philosophy, always blame it on someone else, never ever say: "Oh, yes, SORRY", never admit that "you" made a mistake, never!

Where did I tackle the issue of being "grateful" and "bring 'em our civilization" - where?

Seems you're "reading" something into my post that isn't there, or do you use a cristal ball?

Why you try to defend the misbehavior of certain people directly benefiting from foreign visitors, the tourism industry, the money they bring into the country, with something as absurd as " some old speech from some sahib in the colonial Indial"!

Seems you missed the point, try to read again and try to understand what the OP tries to bring across, what the genuine circumstances are... give it a try, maybe it's not too late yet..

Good try, but just another attempt of belittling massive ignorant misbehavior of people in the service industry short of good manners!

Try again!

there is a strong sense of patronizing in your post and maybe that was what the poster was trying to point out.

this thread is full of patronizing remarks by westerners who think about Thais in the most generalizing terms.

We don't know what really happened there and why the Taxi driver assaulted the guest but that did not stop any poster making false assumptions and declaring everything from taxi drivers as general behavior or other assumptions about Thai mentality. :D

As with any case of violence it "takes 2 to tango" and I don't believe that the taxi driver just went and grabbed a machete and went wild for no reason.

I have witnessed many occasion in many incidents when "foul mouth farrnags" with a false sense of superiority because they are from the "cradle of culture" were cursing and swearing because they thought they were being ripped of. when all was needed was a simple "thank you" and walk away.

where ever you are a guest it would be very wise not to try and be provocative or get into arguments with Locals. and this applies to every country not just Thailand or Samui.

if you find a service provider rude or impolite then kindly refuse his service and seek a better service provider. :o

Good try!

Try again!

there is a strong sense of patronizing in your post and maybe that was what the poster was trying to point out.

this thread is full of patronizing remarks by westerners who think about Thais in the most generalizing terms.

We don't know what really happened there and why the Taxi driver assaulted the guest but that did not stop any poster making false assumptions and declaring everything from taxi drivers as general behavior or other assumptions about Thai mentality. :D

As with any case of violence it "takes 2 to tango" and I don't believe that the taxi driver just went and grabbed a machete and went wild for no reason.

I have witnessed many occasion in many incidents when "foul mouth farrnags" with a false sense of superiority because they are from the "cradle of culture" were cursing and swearing because they thought they were being ripped of. when all was needed was a simple "thank you" and walk away.

where ever you are a guest it would be very wise not to try and be provocative or get into arguments with Locals. and this applies to every country not just Thailand or Samui.

if you find a service provider rude or impolite then kindly refuse his service and seek a better service provider. :D

Seems you make a lot of assumptions yourself! If you dont think that some Thais are capable of launching a vicious attack with the slightest provocation then you have been living in a hole - WAKE UP :o

I've seen both sides, arrogant Farang and out of control Thais. Seems all this was over 100 Baht extra, not even a couple of quid!

Not worth all the hassle and if the post is accurate the Farang were lucky not to have been hospitalised. Having the Moral high ground doesn't help when swathed in bandages.

Seems you make a lot of assumptions yourself! If you don't think that some Thais are capable of launching a vicious attack with the slightest provocation then you have been living in a hole - WAKE UP :o

you have just proven my point as to how violence beings. instead of discussing the issue you resort to attacking me personally!!

so now i have 2 choices:

1. to reply with vengeance to your remarks adding a few insults of my own about your intelligence and perception of reality. thus provoking you to escalate the violence in this debate.

2. to gracefully exit.

I will go with number 2.... :D

I've seen both sides, arrogant Farang and out of control Thais. Seems all this was over 100 Baht extra, not even a couple of quid!

Not worth all the hassle and if the post is accurate the Farang were lucky not to have been hospitalised. Having the Moral high ground doesn't help when swathed in bandages.

I agree. I have also seen many ignorant ferangs - some not aggresive just purely ignorant - snapping their fingers and looking down on Thais. I often feel like snapping their fingers - but usually just let them know that they have a shit ignorant attidute. And their lies the difference - i dont launch into a vicious attack for something relatively simple.

I personaly would always avoid confrontation with a Thai because i know they are not developed emotionaly to be able to be rational in a confrontation - however simple. The naive tourist obviously doesnt understand and can end up seriously hurt or dead for some indiscresion or slight over reaction

Hey highdiver I do think you have read more into whatsoever's last post than was intended. I dont see why you consider it as attacking you !!!!

He could have put it a bit more subtler but basically he gets the point right.

The Thai's are a very violent people and it certainly doesnt take much to get them going and to use weapons is first nature over here, especially as it will always be the ferang that the police will arrest as they can pay more for a get out of jail free card.

HL :o

Seems you make a lot of assumptions yourself! If you don't think that some Thais are capable of launching a vicious attack with the slightest provocation then you have been living in a hole - WAKE UP :o

you have just proven my point as to how violence beings. instead of discussing the issue you resort to attacking me personally!!

so now i have 2 choices:

1. to reply with vengeance to your remarks adding a few insults of my own about your intelligence and perception of reality. thus provoking you to escalate the violence in this debate.

2. to gracefully exit.

or number 3: ask to be beamed up :D Because by definition you have choosen no. 1

so now i have 2 choices:

2. to gracefully exit.

emmm, I would say 1. IS "replying with vengence ...adding a few insults of [your] own about [their] intelligence and perception of reallity" topped off with a :D ...not exactly the high road, but guess if you think you own it you don't have to worry about taking it.

No need to respond HighDiver, we all know already how tired and board I make you ... not being your intellectual equal an' all....and asking you to actually back up your asserted facts...which you generally do not do, in fact never so far (may a citation or two, wrong, incomplete or unexplained citations, that I then question but you do not answer) but when push comes to shove your last resort is to basically dismiss folks because you are "tired" "bored" ..."gracefully existing"...

What I don't understand is how so many of us can live in the Kingdom for years without never meeting these type of Thais that are so frequently mentioned in posts on TV. I can only assume that the westerners in question are often a factor in the interactions.

Classing a whole nation of people as being having a 'facade of smiles lies resentment, jealousy, distrust, contempt, disrespect, agression etc.' certainly signifies an attitude that is not going to win any friends among the Thais.

21 posts and nobody can confirm the attack happened. Could well be all just Chinese Whispers.

That's the beauty of it. You only have to suggest something bad occurring in Thailand and a group of malcontents will chirp in with their opinions on the Thai people. They must have some type of alarm software which signals them whenever there is something negative written about Thailand.

Since this topic is never going to be dealt with by local officials or police, maybe its time for the Bangkok Police to suddenly appear in force spcifically to check meter settings and all required documentation. Then dealing with them harshly. Nothing ever gets done on this Island unless the Bangkok Police appear.

21 posts and nobody can confirm the attack happened. Could well be all just Chinese Whispers.

That's the beauty of it. You only have to suggest something bad occurring in Thailand and a group of malcontents will chirp in with their opinions on the Thai people. They must have some type of alarm software which signals them whenever there is something negative written about Thailand.

Do you take taxies on Samui Garro?

Do you take taxies on Samui Garro?

I have in the past. I spent a few months on Samui a few years back. Unfortunately now I spend less time on the beach, but remain in Thailand.

I noticed that. I could push my friend on which hotel (it happened two weeks ago) and try to get the investigative reporter from Samui Express to go ask questions. Oh geez, I went and did now. Mentioning taxi drivers and Samui Express in one thread. This one could go on forever. :o

so now i have 2 choices:

2. to gracefully exit.

emmm, I would say 1. IS "replying with vengence ...adding a few insults of [your] own about [their] intelligence and perception of reallity" topped off with a :D ...not exactly the high road, but guess if you think you own it you don't have to worry about taking it.

No need to respond HighDiver, we all know already how tired and board I make you ... not being your intellectual equal an' all....and asking you to actually back up your asserted facts...which you generally do not do, in fact never so far (may a citation or two, wrong, incomplete or unexplained citations, that I then question but you do not answer) but when push comes to shove your last resort is to basically dismiss folks because you are "tired" "bored" ..."gracefully existing"...

ohh Jo cool your back... :D

1. i accepted your legal hallenge.. 2 days ago but you are the one that seems to have missed that. :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2067330

when ever you are ready!!!

2. while it can be tempting to provide psychological profiles of other people on

internet forums it is probably not a great idea.

People are very complex and trying to make judgments about them, after

reading a couple of their posts, seems impossible to me.

While these attempts at amateur psychology are quite common, on forums, they

usually say a lot more about the person posting them and their own

particular brand of hang-ups, prejudices and mental defects. For this reason

I personally try and avoid them, but don't let that stop you Jo cool :D .

3.By no means do I consider myself intellectually superior to you. Just

because I am trying to teach you something that is usually innate and comes

easy to those who are clever and intelligent, or at least quick-witted, does

not mean that I presume to think myself your superior, and expect that you

genuflect before me.

I agree. I have also seen many ignorant ferangs - some not aggresive just purely ignorant - snapping their fingers and looking down on Thais. I often feel like snapping their fingers - but usually just let them know that they have a shit ignorant attidute. And their lies the difference - i dont launch into a vicious attack for something relatively simple.

I personaly would always avoid confrontation with a Thai because i know they are not developed emotionaly to be able to be rational in a confrontation - however simple. The naive tourist obviously doesnt understand and can end up seriously hurt or dead for some indiscresion or slight over reaction

Please do share with us were you come from so we may evaluate why you are "emotionally more developed" then Thais.