EV Owners … Real life experience & help thread

KhunLA

90 kmh for highway driving? No thanks. I want to get to my destination quicker than that.

Would like to know what range you get if you drive at 110-120.

PS - I'm seriously thinking about buying a BYD Atto 3. THB 1.2 million and cheap financing (interest at 1.68%). 

OP your test will not reveal the actual issues with EVs these days. I'd love to read a report from someone  who would have taken an EV from Bangkok to Koh Chang for a one week holiday.

What you did is relevant a commuting situation. And yes, if I was still working I'd seriously consider an EV, as a second car, for commuting to work, shopping, going cross country skiing (25kms from home), etc.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Thankfully she's not into gold ????

MB = motorbike

Ride is quite comfy.  Seat a bit better than the 2020 ZS ICE version.  Ride, about the same and quiet enough.  Road noise, no noticeable difference between the ICE & EV version, once at speed.   As the ICE was kind of quiet, engine wise.

Of course start up (no sound) and getting up to speed is quieter, and just the hum of the motors.  I have dB sound app, and forget to test.  Downloaded it just for that.

Can charge at home, we have solar, but if on PEA/grid, then ฿5 ish baht. 

0-100% (50kW) would be about ฿250.  So would cost <฿500 to go the same distance as the our ICE version at about ฿1500, on the highway.  Around town, even better saving with the EV as better range at the 50 kph mark.

Over the road, and seems the standard Charging Station fee is about ฿7.5 per kW vs ฿5 for home charging.  Think all the free & discount promos have dried up.   Then you have the chargers at the high end places, ICONSIAM mall and such, charging a bit of a premium to charge there.

Surely PTT will be putting way more chargers at their stations, since their subsidiary will be producing EV batteries & building EVs for Horizon.

Plenty about though, I think 1400 or so charging station now.

Off peak hours and weekends, rate is under 5baht per kWh at PTT stations. Not sure about Bangchak.

Home charging off peak (22:00 - 09:00) rate is under 3baht if TOU meter.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

90 kmh for highway driving? No thanks. I want to get to my destination quicker than that.

Would like to know what range you get if you drive at 110-120.

PS - I'm seriously thinking about buying a BYD Atto 3. THB 1.2 million and cheap financing (interest at 1.68%). 

Outside of Bangkok, what’s the speed limit on the motorways? For eg, Tak to Khon Kaen on Hwy 12? Is it also 120?

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It won't let you tailgate, as it decelerates when not enough car lengths per kms speed.  It will actually come to a stop if traffic comes to a stop.  Then resume back to your set speed (cruise control) when able.  If TH had universal lines & such, it would almost be self-driving.

I guess I should clarify, and NO, the car on cruise control doesn't take over.  At any point, simply using the brake or accelerator, overrides the cruise control.

So if you're coming up on slower traffic, say in left lane, and notice, car starts to 'coast / decelerate', and you want to pass or merge right before the traffic in your mirror catches up, and you'll be stuck behind, then simply drive as you normally would.

11 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Outside of Bangkok, what’s the speed limit on the motorways? For eg, Tak to Khon Kaen on Hwy 12? Is it also 120?

120 kmh. But frankly one of life's pleasures here in LOS is that you can drive much faster than that and not worry about losing your license [cue outrage from AN members about respect for others, risk etc etc].

If of interest, here's the owners manual for the BYD Atto 3. 

Some interesting (okay, maybe not *that* interesting) snippets in there about recommended battery charge status, driving in floods, not being able to turn off, it seems, some of the numerous driver 'aids', data sharing with BYD (possibly a concern if your phone is linked to the vehicle) and the fact that the car has a built in transponder (or so it seems). 

I like this car and am seriously thinking about buying one. THB 1.2 million is same / cheaper than for exact same vehicle in Oz/NZ/UK (when released). However I remain unconvinced about viability of an EV with current tech for all-round use. Daily commuting: perfect. Long distance use? Not so sure.

ATTO-3-Owner's-Manual-NZ-08_2022.pdf

• Like 2

For those curious about CS (charging stations) in our neck of the peninsula, PKK (Prachuap Khiri Khan), then more than a few, and no worries, as is most of the country, with a few exceptions.

Think we'll use MG CSs when convenient, as hopefully friendly, since their car, and can hang out in their AC waiting room, have a snack & coffee without any dagger stares.

Our journeys are usually up the Krung Thep to visit daughter, and may even have to top up on the way, but plenty of spots to do so:

image.png.a52b664db26ce9716aec0fe8714d082d.png

Holiday O&As are usually southward, and again, more than enough CSs within 200 kms of each other.  Reassuring, knowing now, driving the speed limit, 90ish kph and provides plenty of reserve, JIC:

image.png.ccdcdf10f4606bfaae36c0bc09cc656f.png

Those on the extreme Myanmar (N), and Laos (N & E) borders may need to plan a bit better.

Happy Travels

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Have you installed the MG home charger yet. 

Our MG EP is ready but the Mrs says once we have got the car, only then can we organise the home charger and pea to come and install our tou meter.

Sounds like a few weeks wait and time to test the independent charging facilities 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zoolander said:

Have you installed the MG home charger yet. 

Our MG EP is ready but the Mrs says once we have got the car, only then can we organise the home charger and pea to come and install our tou meter.

Sounds like a few weeks wait and time to test the independent charging facilities 

No, but the MG subcontracted installer did pop over to the house, even before we paid for/picked up the car.  Check out the job, easy one for him, and stated be back within couple weeks.  No definite date given.

Not in any real hurry, since still working on the carport, gate now, then  needs tiling.  So wouldn't be using the next week or so anyway.  We'll use the granny charger if needing.

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I am hoping to take delivery of the Haval H6 PHEV in the next couple of months. I decided to go for a PHEV as I regularly travel long distances to Isaan and Malaysia for Malaysian style hawker food and South Indian food (from CM).

225 ish kms range (50kW) at speed (90 ish kph) per charge, doesn't offer much for those needing, wanting to be anywhere consistently or more impatient than myself.  Our O&As are strictly R&R, and the relaxed exploring to a destination is usually more interesting than the destination for us.

Most places we end up at, we've been to, and enjoy the familiarity when we get there, but for me, discovering new things along the way is what I enjoy.  We actually don't stay long when getting to 'the' destination.  They seem more like a pitstop to relax now, for 2 or 3 nights, before we're off again to the next destination.  Love the scenic routes in between.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might want to take a peek at the MG EP, and save yourself about a half mill, as ฿771k after govt incentives.   If just using locally, do you really need any extras, if available.   

I have looked at the EP. One of the better looking MGs (to me, anyway). The actual vehicle build quality however is (to me) not great. Lots of hard plastics. Manually adjustable seats etc. Do you need extras like a sunroof etc? No, but I'd still like them.

MG battery is 'only' 50 KWh for claimed 380 km range; BYD is 60 KWh for claimed 480 km range.

MG ground clearance is 115 mm; BYD is 175 mm. That's a potentially big deal if you live in any area prone to flooding.

The BYD is however quite lardy compared to the MG - about 200 kgs more.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I have looked at the EP. One of the better looking MGs (to me, anyway). The actual vehicle build quality however is (to me) not great. Lots of hard plastics. Manually adjustable seats etc. Do you need extras like a sunroof etc? No, but I'd still like them.

MG battery is 'only' 50 KWh for claimed 380 km range; BYD is 60 KWh for claimed 480 km range.

MG ground clearance is 115 mm; BYD is 175 mm. That's a potentially big deal if you live in any area prone to flooding.

The BYD is however quite lardy compared to the MG - about 200 kgs more.

Externally, I really like the looks of the EP and a station wagon is actually quite a good choice for Thailand nowadays. It would be much improved if they detailed the interior with better materials but that would also increase the price. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Externally, I really like the looks of the EP and a station wagon is actually quite a good choice for Thailand nowadays. It would be much improved if they detailed the interior with better materials but that would also increase the price. 

I liked the EP, and since wife was hell bent against, didn't take too much notice of the interior's fitting out.  But was comfy once in it.  Actually surprised, and didn't expect it to be roomy.

Specs very similar, battery & range.  Only thing I didn't care for, was the length.  Really like that the ZS is one of the shortest SUVs out there.  Parking is great.

Nephew at the house, doing the gate, and looking at the ZSs, commented how smaller the EV vs ICE was, as parked next to each.  I knew the dimensions, and had to show him the difference, almost non existent.  But agree, it does look smaller at a glance.

Not sure why, as it, the EV has larger tires, only 17 vs 16".  Although ... the ground clearance is almost a whole cm less ????  Could explain the only difference, height, along with the EV lacks the rails on top, so not sure what they are measuring for height.  I'm only 175 cm tall, so more than enough headroom inside, even if sitting in the back.

EP, except lower, is larger all the way around.  Unless backed against a wall together, all a bit of an optical illusion.

image.png.dc02b7fd694a79bca0f445ffe4e85a25.png

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Might want to take a peek at the MG EP, and save yourself about a half mill, as ฿771k after govt incentives.   If just using locally, do you really need any extras, if available.   

We would have gotten the EP, except the wife got a little too comfy driving, sitting higher in the ZS SUV, and didn't like the seating position of the EP. 

..."Feels like the Mazda 2 we had"

... "yea honey, you sit a bit lower, it's the same damn specs as ZS"

... "Anything you want honey" ... frickin' 180k to sit higher  ????

Pointless looking at MG EP as MG haven't been accepting orders since May 14th

MG announces closure of reservations for 100% electric vehicles, model NEW MG EP PLUS

https://www.mgcars.com/th/NewsActivities/Detail/MG-EP-PLUS

When looking at EV your shortlist will be reduced when you look at ev that can be delivered within 6 months

MG ZS ... using the granny charger now, rated @ 2.4 kW on 10A outlet.

If an electrical idiot as myself, don't think if using 20A or 32A 'breaker', as the only ones in our breaker box, will double or triple the charging speed.   One can fantasize.  Would be kind of redundant, as why would you need a 7.2kW wall charger.

Just a tester, not going to top up today, as @ 65% now, and ZS telling me, 11 hr 13 sec to full up.  Is showing at least a 2.2kw draw on the solar.  

Does tell me though, if wanting to charge up using granny charger, with solar overnight, I can plug in after midnight, 2am ish, and by the time the panels start producing, I've only used about 11kW of battery.  Another 5 ish hrs, and by noon, I've added/topped up the last 20kW of the battery, and ready for an outing.  I do plan to keep the battery at 70-80% at the house.

JIC an health emergency pops up, as happened last week, as we are 1.5 hr from a real hospital, at Hua Hin.  Something to keep in the back of your mind, if EV is your only transport, and a bit anti-social, like me.

Slow charging is less stress on the batteries, whether 7.2 kW via wall charger or 2.4 via granny.  Batteries don't like heat, so super fast charging, a freshly used battery while on the road, in 30-35° degree heat is about the worst way to care for your battery.   So not the best option, for battery longevity, for the over the road salesman.

Something to consider when the 2nd hand market is in full swing, a few years down the line.  High kms on the clock of an EV, should kill your resale price, as those charge ups would surely be more from from super fast charging over the road drivers.  Or if buying from a condo owner, who can't charge at home ... then they are charging where ?  Though if not able to charge at home, why would anyone buy an EV ?

• Like 2